Sign in to follow this  
Animal Farm

Meet Up

Paragon   

Animal Farm, there are such meet-ups with invited SOL members, and there is also 'welcome' gatherings. I have helped organise both kinds of meetups. In the former it is advicable that you invite smart, outwardly-thinking and progressive individuals only. That is the conclusion I have reached from my experiance of hosting gatherings. In the latter case, anyone can be invited. Its usually not a big deal since all it deals with is welcoming or saying goodbye to someone.

Alxamdullilaah, I have come to know good nomads in person, and I have kept in touch with them since first meeting them.

PS: make sure your meetups are purposeful. One meetup for exchanging constructive ideas and working with each other in the future (for this you need it to take place behind closed doors), and one for welcomings, goodbyes or general chillouts.

Pujah   

Meet ups yaah... Interesting. Unfortunetly I haven't seen anyone claiming to be from my city....so i will holla at the Londoners when i go there for my vacation.... Juxa promise to welcome me there smile.gif

Sky   

Animal Farm

That's a great idea man. We should do a meet-up in T-dot or something. I definetily would like to grasp the chance to show other nomads, that I'm a helluva a nice guy. And of course see the faces I'm dealing with here.

Several people I know very well had meetups to fight with another forummer. That was hilarious. Its always the same kinda dudes that have fight meetups every year. Black males, 25-35 years old, born and grew up in harsh conditions.

In the former it is advicable that you invite smart, outwardly-thinking and progressive individuals only.

I thought SOL had these kinds of personalities :confused:

I think it would be rather difficult to get people to show up, because they might not want to interact with nomads in summit style meetings – they might be concerned about their privacy. Some nomads prefer and are comfortable with impersonal communication.

The purpose is of this form is promote progressive ideas, brainstorm solutions, and critically analyze prevailing social issues in the Somali community.

We have been part of this forum and we have exchanged ideas, our political beliefs and some have been offended, but nonetheless, this is by far the most regulated, rational, responsibly run forum in sphere of Somali websites.

I’m suggesting we take this gathering into the physical world, where we are able to share, and work together to establish projects and perhaps recruit likeminded people.

I’m assuming that nomads on this site are individualists only coming on the site to stimulate their heroin-like addiction to anything Somali. Our culture and way of life is somewhat based on a collectivist ideology, the nomadic way of life, sharing stories and life experiences.

Jamaal Past meetings, what did you guys do and talk about?

Sky Toronto would be the ideal city in Canada to hold a meet up.

Tuujiye   

Waraa Animal, Jiljileeca maxaa waaye sxb...Maxaa ka falee SOL people iyo aragooda?..

Trust me dad meeshaan ku jiro hadaa baratid dabeecadooda, ceeji aa ku qabaneyso dadna shu shumi..laakiin wanting 4sho, shushumiska aa ku yar..abkee asbax iyo qamarji iyo ciyaal ilbax aa ka buuxaan meeshaan...

7 of sagaal, maxaa dhacay walaashiis malugu marti qaadin miyaa? Canada imoo anaa barafka xabad xabad kugu taraarixinaayee..lol..bobsled..lol

Wareer Badanaa!!!

Animal Farm,

I’m going to say this is a bad idea. A forum meet-up i.e.

Why?

Because there is nothing to gain from such a meeting. You write,

“promote progressive ideas, brainstorm solutions, and critically analyze prevailing social issues in the Somali communityâ€

Isn’t that done in the forum? How is doing it face-2-face better? I would go on to say that people actually feel more free to express themselves on the internet and a fierce debate is less likely to erupt into a fist-frenzy. Besides, nomads are engaged in all sorts of fields and unless it was a ‘specific subject’ meeting, there is nothing more that a biologist could discuss with a beans counter to help or improve their community. Not to mention the likelihood of some1 showing up for the sole purpose of spotting the ones they dont like …. (have you checked the politics section? People actually get threatened.. YIKES!)

I also think meet-ups defeat the purpose of foruming. You no longer feel free to express yourself, safe in the knowledge that whoever wants to get offended can get offended or the possibility of future repercussions (Imagine wanting to be Prime Minister and having your evil-online persona exposed!… oh the shame!). I personally find it difficult to address people I’ve met in real life… not to mention effectively gagged in exposing the same people to the weird and unusual workings of my mind.

There is also the issue of safety. Its particularly risky for females. I’m more than sure some faarax’s will come with the sole intention of ogling the women (case in point – Tuujiye)….heh. :D

Goonle   

What safety are u talking about? No one needs to protect your Obese *** from anything besides all the food u eating.

Tuujiye   

7of sagaal...

lool...buujimo aa ka baqee yaah..nin soo joog laga waayo soo jiifso aa laga helaa...aragaane..lol..

Ani dadbadan aan buujimeeyo aan rabaa nin iyo naago xitaa..yes bajaqo!! xagxagasho.com

laakiin 7 adiga body guard aan ku noqonaa since aan jeclahay gabdho is dagalayo in aan kala cesho..lol..

Wareer Badanaa!!!

Gone-le, I’m in good terms with my weight, my love handles and my jiggling arms and thighs. And I would showcase them any day...any occasion redface.gif

[E].. Tuujiye... I have no idea what 'buujimeyso' means. :confused:

Paragon   

Animal Farm, the only time a coherent discussion can take place is when the meet-up is exclussively brothers (or I've heard sisters only). Unless the intension of the meet-up is a general socialization, the presence of males and females at the same place isn't a good idea, and doens't produce an environment for even a near-serious discussion.

When what is discussed are ideas and even future projects with regards to Somali community or other social matters, you will have to make sure the people you invite are not only what you expect them to be, but also humble and less egoistic. Egoism messes up many meet-ups, and so my advice is, if you are serious about setting up projects, let each gender meet on its own.

In some meetings we've had in close doors, our discusion ranged from community projects and business ventures to achieving enlightment and self-purification. It was very interesting to hear what other mindful brothers had to say and bring across. Insha-allaah, as you will find out if you organise meetings, among many, you will find few wonderful individuals that are like-minded and future-oriented. Only these few individuals concern themselves with cultural, communal and even religeous matters.

PS: I am glad you've started this topic. I hope you succeed in meeting like-minded individuals whose only concern is to honestly talk over ideas that may change our social status for the better. This is the right move sxb. Good luck.

Goonle   

Originally posted by sheherazade:

^just how old are you? Farts and crap and sexual innuendos. Puberty!! U'll get through it.

U consider farts and Doo Doo sexual inuendos? U are one freak thats for damn sure lol.