Sign in to follow this  
FARIID

The Silent Majority

FARIID   

There has been an obsession of late with posting stats. Who has the most posts. We have had posts celebrating the 1000th, 3000th and if we are that bored and still good at ctrlv the 100,000th post, very soon the millionth post. How many posts one has, is fast becoming a status symbol in SOL. Those of us with a very small PDI(Posts Per Duration Index) have been left feeling inadequate. if our worth is judged by the quantity of our posts and their comments , then ours is a pitiful existence. Our posts are as rare as a Somali in Fiji. We do not court controversy or rubber stamp our presence with a mere Lool. But the irony of all this that comments like ‘I agree’ have done wonders in enhancing the PDI of the likes of Duke,MMA,KK , JB e.t.c .The one liner army in here is on a higher SOL status than the likes of Mutakalim. In my three and half years here, I have dropped gems of wisdom only 38 times not far off from nomads with 10000+ posts. There is a silent majority in this place who choose to read and enjoy but not engage in tit-for-tats. We laugh at the jokes, frown when our clan is pulled through the dirt, marvel at the trivial topics, all that except we leave no keyboard prints.

We were there when Eids were announced, tacsi’s conveyed, marriages confirmed. More importantly we were there when a couple of girls had a spat and deleted all their posts and formed a renegade forum. We were there when Sheikh Nur was lynched for putting FGM and abortion in the same sentence; we were there when Juma lost it. We were there at the famous Baashi Vs Toostoy/odweyne duels. We were there when Rudy got married. We read through Ngonge’s marathon boredom sessions. We followed Northerner’s Liverpool lose and then win and lose again. We were there, only we didn’t leave an ‘I was here’.

You know that a whole year has gone by when you get article in SOL about the ‘best Soler’. It’s a perennial self gratification ritual where everyone lists some names and hopes some will notice their compliments and compliments them in turn. The silent majority are conspicuous only by their absence. We are not told why one deserves this accolade – have they challenged our thinking, turned reason on its head or have simply towed our line, reinforced what we believed in. It all comes down to PDI, yes its that Simple me thinks.

No comment is a stand alone comment. It is taken in context will all your previous posts. A smiley posted by a nomad with a high PDI can mean a lot but for the silent majority on the rare occasion we share it, its just that- our dental formula. Nomads who haven’t grasped this are sometimes confused by the responses their comments kick off. Some may think I am exaggerating this silent majority, well if you look at your member numbers they run into 4 digit figures but regular poster by most generous estimates number fewer than 100. The admin isn’t using an auto number generator- trust me his not that sophisticated!

This year I have decided to pre-empt this predictable Best soler annual ritual. This year’s best Solers should be judged by the most comments on their posts and not how many posts they have. This is not me jumping the queue by soliciting comments on this post- although a few pages might do wonders for my self-esteem. To paraphrase Caesar ‘We clicked, we read, we smiled, and we are out’!

Skipper   

We were there when Rudy got married.

What a pleasant suprise. I dint picked up that Rudy got married, i must have missed it. The guy paints himself us a Che guavera of women, some sort of a crusader that is anti women, especially the xalomos. Fariid nice post sxb. Lazygirl i gather you have 1337 post, does that give you a legend status here in SOL?

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by FARIID:

But the irony of all this that comments like ‘I agree’ have done wonders in enhancing the PDI of the likes of Duke,MMA,KK , JB e.t.c .

:D:D:D

ps, I am no where near odayaashaas... :D

***Another post to enhance my PDI, wooooow***

winnie   

i wasnt there for any of those events. damn, sol has been busy!

im not going to say something jerky, because you know what im going to say... im not going to say it... although i reallly want to. i reallly really want to, but i wont. instead, i will say that i appreciate the reminder, and this post, as well as the poster... all is appreciated. i appreciate you. thank you.

*exhales*

This year I have decided to pre-empt this predictable Best soler annual ritual. This year’s best Solers should be judged by the most comments on their posts and not how many posts they have.

Since when did we have a QUALITY CONTROL program in SOL ???

Don't be afraid sxb ,,,, the best SOLer will be based on how many posts is made. The place is not created for reading only, if there is no posting then what would you read and enjoy ??

Let us do the writing and posting and win the reward and you will enjoy reading all of them as you wish :D

PS. waar niyow waad iga fiican tahay ,, ,there is no way i can read and leave the place, i must say something about most of the posts. loooool