Sign in to follow this  
Charisma

Who should be higher in education!!!!

Charisma darling, that’s like asking who should drive the more luxurious vehicle in the family, the wife or the husband?(In reality, it should be who enjoys driving the luxurious car, it’s a desire to get what you want, no spouse needs to compete with the other half)

Your question is very misleading and somewhat controversial, that’s why I think it should have been, "who is more eager to get a higher education", the husband or the wife???

After all, education is a privilege, its a goal one sets for themselves in life, and lets face it, not everyone is a book worm.(there are just as many educated women, as there are in men, just like there are as many uneducated men as there are in women)50/50

I think anyone whose is eager enough to get a higher education, whether it be getting your bachelor degree, masters, phd, whatever, should get it.(The other half should support that, or else there shouldn't be any marriage to begin with) and I also agree with what x_quizit wrote.

I think a certain level of understanding one another is vital in a relationship. 'Understanding' referring to similar background and education. I've seen for a fact though, when it comes to marriage, some people have a fixed mindset of who they want and wont allow for any flexibility - ranging from the fairly successful dude who prefers a wife with minimum education and least involvement in his 'work' life to the guy who expects just as much from his partner. I guess in these kinda things, its each to his own and education is just one factor is deciding who is right for you. Personally, I want some1 who motivated, independent, easy to conversate with and a certain level of education is a MUST. icon_glad.gif

Xoogsade   

Nice topic. It seems all the points have been covered already. Just wanted to add my extemporaneous thoughts prompted by some of the things mentioned here. Education as a survival tool is very important in America. What the future partner will think of it is not important. Anyone who saw the backbreaking jobs most somali women do would encourage them to enroll in schools to get a handle of the language at least if nothing else. The right education can mean having options and opportunities and gives the woman the ability to communicate with her kids later on(a major sour/need in somali community). And if the girl/woman is conservative one, who sometimes might opt out of a job because of the constraints and limits it puts on her, it is even more important. If such women have A diploma of some kind, they can still get jobs that accomodate them while they keep their conservative attire on. And if she can't get a job, she still can put her education to some good use by teaching Some kids. In every way you look at education(for women in particular), it is very important and rewarding. It is about their survival and for them to be somebody and live comfortably with or without a man. It can mean two incomes instead of one, more money for the family back home, less pressure or depression, the freedom to move anywhere if you dislike your environment and etc. Oh, last but not the least, how about a year vacation back home where your wife sends you plenty of money and you aren't worried things to come crushing down on ya? I should stop before I sound too optimistic.

Anyway, What her earned education and comfort level does to her manners is different altogether from the importance of education. Not everyone acts according to the other, and because of that, it is stereotypical to assume/say an educated woman means TROUBLE or All men view educated Women the same.

I extremely oppose the idea of educational stratifications between the couples. I don't expect my wife to respect me on the bases of my degrees. The question is absulately anti-our-culture. And I strongly agree with (Vicking), he/she has offered a classic example. Education or the level of knowledge should never become something worth of considerations in my personal point of views.

Bess.   

really this topic seems confusing.....what odes it matter who has more education...the real question i believe here is " WHO MAKES MORE MONEY?" lets be honest though it all depends on what kind of ppl u r ...if u r judgemental man or a pridefull one then u won't be able to handle an educated woman....cause lets face it, the question doesn't apply to women, because they always prefer thier men to be highly educated....

peace ;)

Xoogsade   

Besbaaso, I wouldn't say all men feel the same about an educated woman unless there is something obviously wrong with her character. How does education hurt?

Nazra   

Nice Topic Sis

I agree with viking. But it's amazing how men can really envy women who are educated or earn more then them.

Personally, i would like someone who is more educated than me and who earns more then me.

But women who have careers or attending university are attrcative given the fact that they have a future that looks promising. But they are also a threat to men's self esteem. (you can guess who would win arguments) lolz

Charisma   

Well thnx for all the wonderful replies am getting from u guys.

Xoogsade

Well bro waw this is wt am talking about we need guys who are more like u ,who are not threatened by their wives' education and her success.

and u are very right and infact remind m eof my school teacher when u say that education is not only amean of getting a good job, but raising ur children better.

ur kids will be able to relate to u more as they will lok up to u, and u can tell them about ur school experiences.I had seen amny uneducated mothers n believe me its not very nice.

ok u say maybe she did not get her chance but wt about now, when she can i mean those who are in the west or africa for that matter.

another thing u mentioned was the charecter n thnk u for not thinking taht all women change just coz they r educated , coz some can pretty horrible n very proud.

well am glad that i was born to avery educated mother for her time, n who had achieved n still very much do so till thsi day ALLAH bless her soul and all our mothers.

am not pragging, but we really need to help our selves in a time when ppl r sooooooooooo ahead

peace.

Charisma   

For Besbaaso,

the idea is not to make more money, and i feel very bad for u if u think education is just for that.

though that is ur opinion n u r free to have one. peace.

Charisma   

LayZieGirl, sis,....i think u misunderstood the question...

its not about who is more eager, the husband or wife because that would be a generalisation of all husbands and wives. Eagerness, is a personality trait that solely depends on the individual and does not really determine the level of education which a person has acquired.

The question was meant to be more specific. Basically,"would You rather be more educated than your spouse or would you rather He/She was more educated than yourself"

In a modern society education is Very important, but it does not equal to success. Therefore, to what extent does the level of education a person has reached contribute to a marraige in terms of security and what effect will it have on your children?

Bess.   

hey charisma sis.....sweetie save ur pity for those who need it.....besides sis u misunderstood...i never said the goal of education is to earn more money..(although it is one of them)...all i said was the question should be who makes more money...because i think that is the more sensitive question...who cares who has more education...we should all strife to get as much education and knowlege as we can..u know what they say (the pen is mightier than the sword) and we should all be as armed as we can be to handle this world..and bro xoog...i never said all men are like that just some....i don't know if u'all are just eager to write something down or u have no patience to read everything throughly...but i advice u to read carefuly b4 u reply...that should eliminate alot of confusion....

:rolleyes:

peace

Charisma   

Besbaaso ,

first of all let me tell u something here, no one is pitying anyone and that is not my style.

As for ur opinion of this topic being confusing and the correction that is needed is WHAT YOU THINK coz lets face it honey u think money is more important than education . BUT WT THE HELL COMING FROM U I UNDERSTAND coz u probably never got anyone who made u feel otherwise.

Well let me tell u something EDUCATION MATTERS regardless of it taking u to high pay job or not, then u talked about money . of course money matters and anyone who disagrees will be a fool .

So my question sis is and will remain the same and no one let alone u can change it.

am glad that there are ppl who think that this topic is something to discuss.

THAT IS MY OPINION WT IS URS! :cool:

Higher education is not an indication of intelligence or a curious mind or a promise of a fat wallet/purse. The way it puffs some degree-holders up makes me chuckle.

An active, curious mind is what to look for. Mind u, if it does go wrong, the infuriatingly clever arguments will send u over the edge.

U have been warned.

Pucca   

i know my abc's ...does that count? the way things are goin now adays i pity the guys when they go out in search of a girl to marry... poor guy has to go through a list of qualifications! dang! my grandmother was just sayin the other day how back in the day the guy had to give camels or was it goats? something like that ...and how now the guy must come with a fat bank account, house, education...the list goes on...

times like this when i thank god for makin me a woman! hmm....that means i do the torturin...