Sign in to follow this  
me

Somali Surnames/lastnames 'theory'

Prinz   

Nice post. Technically it's the grandfathers name as our surnames, for instance Mohamed Warsame Kiimiko. Mohamed Saleman Tubeec. Mohamed Ahmad Kuluc, Aadan Hashi Ceyroow etc.

Curly   

Fair point me, although I feel like you've misunderstood me. I personally think we need a naming system that's clear...like I said I wouldn't know what to name my child especially when the western systems dictates parents share surnames with their child. Speaking of which I've always wondered what names like Allamugan and Bailey meant in Somali.

me   

Curly,

You are right we could do with a clear naming system. But it seems to me we already have a naming system for family names, but it is not recognized as such. And with this post I wanted to highlight that surname system. There is allot of confusion about the Somali surnames, it seems like an almost alien concept to us sometimes, but if we look closer we will see that every family has a name that distinguishes it enough and that is recognizable.

I am not sure what names such as Allamagan mean, maybe nomad Allamagan can enlighten us.

Allamagan,

I know those pure somali last names like: Dhore, Gheele, Olaad, Hashi, Roble, Warfa, Ghedi etc and those descriptive naaneesyo like Tuur, Gurguurte, Caano Geel etc are bolder & noticeable than those arabic names like mahamed, Abdullahi, Yusuf etc. Different region in somalia has I think different naming convention, think of Bakool or Waqooyi Somalia.

You are right pure Somali names are bolder and more noticeable the n Arabic names.

They are better suited for Surnames.

SOLers,

So far I have not seen any exceptions to the 3 characteristics that a Somali surname should have. Does this mean that you have not been able to find an exception? Does your family have a name that you family is known by that fits these characteristics?

1. A pure Somali name

2. Naanees, that is descriptive without being insulting. The fathers, awoowes or the great-grandfathers naanees.

3. An Arabic title

[EDIT] ^^ LoL, you posted this as I was writing my reply. I agree that most of the Somali family surnames I've heard correspond to those characteristics, especially #2.[/EDIT]

I don't think ME is talking about 'surnames' in the sense of American or British surnames. The Somali surnames he's talking about refers to how Somalis recognise each other within the tribal system.

For example, if I use the name Mohamed Aadan Dhamac, Dhamac would in this case be the recognisable family name and therefore the surname, i.e, Ilmo Dhamac, but it might not necessarily be the name or nickname of his grandfather. It could be a nickname that belonged to his great-grandfather or great-great-grandfather but regardless it is now the recognisable name, the surname, that defines that family.

So Mohamed's son, Ahmed, would still come under the Dhamac surname, as he would be most easily recognised as 'Ina dhamac' within his respective clan or tribe or the general Somali community. Even if the son takes just his first three names, i.e, Ahmed Mohamed Aadan, he would still need to add his Somali Surname DHAMAC to the end if he wants to identify himself or his family to another Somali.

Now Ahmed or his son or his son's son might next get a name or nickname that becomes famous and the rest of his descendants may become identified with that other surname, rather than Dhamac.

I think probably the best application of ME's theory is at Somali Nikaaxs. Both the groom and bride are frequently identified by their full names plus their Somali surname, i.e. a recognised name or naaneys, whether it's from a close grandfather or one further up the family tree.

Buuxo   

Yeah ME, our family surname is pure Somali name of my Grandfather.And it's unique only to my family, and the name is only shared with a Village in somalia.Which was named after my Grandfather(AUN).We'll continue to use it for many more generations.

Curly   

oops I didn't realise that was censored :/ I had ago and the thing is amazing you work you way up from you tribe down to you family name.

UZTAAD   

me, it is good Idea Somalis use nicknames to identify each other but most of the people do not like to be called or known their nicknames they prefer their full name only and always omit the nick name , and the reason may be most of the Somali nicknames are little bit negative .

Dhubad.   

Originally posted by Curly:

Fair point me, although I feel like you've misunderstood me. I personally think we need a naming system that's clear...like I said I wouldn't know what to name my child especially when the western systems dictates parents share surnames with their child. Speaking of which I've always wondered what names like Allamugan and Bailey meant in Somali.

Allamagan = is composed of two words Alle(ilaahay) and Magan meaning Ilaahay Magantiis or Ilaahay uu magan galay.

Actually my great grandfather is called Allamagan, its very popular name ins Somalia. I hope that helps!