Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

First Muslim Miss England crowned

NGONGE   

A teenager who was born in Uzbekistan has become the first Muslim beauty contestant to be crowned Miss England.

Hammasa Kohistani, 18, said she was "happy to make history" and was looking forward to representing England in the Miss World championships in China.

She was born in Tashkent, central Uzbekistan, after her parents were forced to flee Afghanistan.

The brunette, who speaks six languages including Russian and Persian, was selected from 40 contestants.

She was crowned on Saturday night following the two-day competition at Liverpool's Olympia Theatre.

Dressed in an ivory white chiffon and silk ball gown designed and made by her mother, the teenager spoke of her joy at winning the title.

"When they announced that I had won I thought I had misheard. I hoped they hadn't, but it took a second to sink in."

Asked about her feelings at being the first Muslim Miss England, she said: "I'm making history and I'm very happy. Hopefully I won't be the last."

The student, who was known as Miss Maya after the Asian fashion house which sponsored her, has also been offered a part in a forthcoming Bollywood movie.

Among those Miss Kohistani beat was another Muslim entrant, Sarah Mendly, 23, who was voted Miss Nottingham.

Miss Mendly had been among the favourites but her entry caused controversy when Liverpool's Islamic institute called on her to pull out because contestants are often scantily clad.

The Miss World championships will be held in December.

source

Apply here for 2006

Castro   

Originally posted by Aeronwen:

Heer sare.
:D

Waa bilaa heer sare. That woman has not an ounce of beauty. What is wrong with you people? Have the british lowered your naturally high standards of beauty? Muslim or not, that woman shouldn't even be in the context.

Diamante   

You guys do know that she won't be graded or elected just for her looks, but also for the way she carries herself, her mentality, intellect and many more attributes that would make someone "beautiful" as a whole.

I've watched some of Miss World beauty paegents, and that's the way it has always been worked out.

Then ofcourse, every contestant has the habit of wanting to help the poor and above all World Peace! :D

NGONGE   

There were, allegedly, three Muslim girls through to the finals of the Miss England competition. When I read the news and looked at the ‘faces’ of these Muslim contestants, I thought to myself ‘so that’s what hidden under all those hijabs’.

But, on a serious note, it seems that the usual cry of thou shall not wear a bikini has not succeeded in convincing these girls. What, in your opinion will?

Will a Muslim friendly, women only version of Miss World do it?

:D

I don’t want to attempt to answer that. I don’t think I can match your anecdotes or funny quips. Why don’t you tell me what a Muslim-friendly-women-only pageant aught to look like. :D

Castro   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

I've never heard of a co-ed beauty pageant but what is a muslim friendly one? How does Islam fit into the physical beauty aspect? If such a pageant existed, it would probably emphasize non-physical attributes of a woman and therefore, in the context of beauty, would be extremely boring. I don't watch beauty pageants anymore, but when I did, I made sure to tune in at the bikini part of it. It's just the way they were intended to be viewed. Islam is beautiful but it has no place in pageants. I just don't see how.

It wouldn't be the first time but would you care to enlighten me, Ngonge?

Edited: Oh I get the women only part now. You mean a pageant viewed by women only? Why that would certainly defeat the purpose of the whole exercise. What is the beauty of a woman if not paraded in front of a man, eh? Would a tree falling in the woods make a sound if there's not a Faarax to hear it? ;)

Johnny B   

She´d be happy that i was not a jurying.

If i say i´ve dated prettier i woulden´t be laying.

Not that i wanna spoil your moment of glory becouse she beeing a Muslim, if that is the gist in it, but England with that kina miss Egnland won´t end 11th.

eh , who am i kidding , i never saw a cute british chick no matter where she originates from.

Baluug   

I think she's cute and definitely beauty pageant material,but what's the point of saying she's Muslim... Like we're all proud that a Muslim sister has thrown away Allah's (SWT) glorious revelations just so she can compete with other gaalo's to see who is more "beautiful"...Looks,intelligence,and attitude are all factors in defining beauty,but so is Iman,Modesty,shyness,and Taqwa.So I would tell all you guys ,don't be proud of her because she is Muslim...That's like being proud of your brother cuz he can drink more beer than all of his buddies!

I wonder why the Winner's religion become instantly Important. In the past when Hindus or Christians or atheists won we haven't seen any headlines declaring " HINDU GIRL WON MISS WORLD " OR "CHRISTAIN GIRL WON" ETC... I wonder Why?? :confused:

i think It is Ngonge's fault :D

Cheers