Sign in to follow this  
Malika

Motherhood

Aaliyyah   

Malika, thanks for sharing this sweet story ya ukhti. That was amazing.

I second Al-muminah I cant wait to be a mother too. I have a younger sister and she gets on my nerves at times, bt thats what kids are for. But, most of the time she brings nothing bt a joy.

Khalaf   

hahahahaha@mar mar laba haraanti ugali.

yo i missed dis one...haraanti means to kick right? hahahaha pujah.......dat was cold...social services ba lagu wiciin. check dis u know how you susposed to teach children how to call 911 emergency ect..my little sisters know it....my eldest sister was trying to teach a somali child the same information...the hooyo says no no...don't teach her that or she gonna call 911. subhan-Allah yo.

Lidia   

Originally posted by Nephthys:

the scary dheg-dheer and qori-is-maris were my bedtime stories

Do you remember them? Can you please tell it to us? I wonder why these stories were so scary and why were they told to small children?

If you like we can start a new thread for people to post the stories of their childhood, such as the 'qori-is-maris' and others.

Thanks,

L

Nephissa   

Lidia, here's a link to dhegdheer story. Couldn't find one for the other, but from what I remember, he was half-human, half-hyenna, with a powerful little stick that when he strokes it on himself fully turns him into a man-eater at night..hence the name 'qori-is-maris.' The stick also gave him the ability to come back as a different person eachtime ie; shape and appearance wise [at times you suspect the person tellin you the story is qori-is-maris himself LOL.] No one would have imagined from his appearance or actions, that he could have been a man-eater. He adored the platter of little feet and lured children away or abducted them by force, once alone with them -voila- he strokes himself with the stick!

I think, the purpose of the scary tales were to toughen us up and prepare us for real life. L0L. If you want your children to be strong, tell them scary tales and horrible events, were the old school parenting tactics. L0L. Alxamdulilah I don't have mental scars..turned out oK.

Pujah, I'm sure one look at my face will be enough to warn them not to push it. Laakin hadii loo baahdo, I won't hessitate inaa dhagaha ka raaco.. :D

Originally posted by *Blessed:

I get a lot of rubbish for this but I'm definitely from your KFC (ka farxi caruurta) school of thought.

My dad subscribes to that school. He is totally incapable of saying no to us (It annoys me a little when he says yes to ridiculous demands by my sisters). I know I love him all the more for it and I would want to be exactly like him as a parent. I just hope the kids grow up appreciating it (like moi :D ), not taking it for granted.

Aaliyyah   

^^the same applies to me as far as my lil sister goes I have hard time saying no. But, she is my lil sister so it is a bit different I guess. My parents are the ones who are strict with her. so it is good to have those who are strict and those who are easy going sort of balances life. But, I don't think it should work that way when one is a parent. certainly, one would have to learn to play the "parent" role. As a parent you will have to learn to say no. There will always be the sister or the aunt that spoils that child. You just gota be the person with the firm hand, like be playful and what not bt nt 24/7 or that child might end up spoiled brat who thinks the whole world is there to serve them.

wa salaam

Chimera   

Nephthys do you have anything on Dadqalato?(or is that the same story as Deghdheer/qori-is-maris?)

moroccans used to scare the sh1t out of me as a kid with their stories about djins and some creature called Boqa bess that comes and chokes you in your sleep

First of all, belated congratulations on the birth of your child and this topic cover gamete of issues.

Investing in those whom we love: couldn’t have said it better really, often we take those we have in our lives for granted or feel maybe they would understand and be patient of how we treat them because deep down they know we care about them…At the end of the day, a person really has their family and they should take the time and the opportunity to invest all they can possibly invest in building strong foundations and relationships within their familial relationship.

Discipline: I been physically disciplined twice in my life, once by mother and second by my uncle…And I in turn slapped my younger sister once and it taught me something…Children who are exposed to physical discipline, regardless of how gentle or harsh the discipline is, they emulate that behavior towards others…Children should be taught to resolve their issues by any means other than raising their hands…I think as adult we get frustrated for the “repetition” part and therefore some parents find themselves hitting their children…As parents we should be expecting our children to act like children not adult and always behave…and if kids are really misbehaving there is a reason for it and most it is the parents fault…Parents should be tough, consistent, and ensure their children know they are loved by them...Bee bye

Chimera   

Originally posted by Nephthys:

Dad-qalato and Dheg-dheer are the same, Adam.

lol ok!

So Qori-is-maris is similar to the werewolf myth, only the man becomes a Hyena. that's cool, i can work with that.

J.Lee   

Talk about being spoiled, I lived in absolute bliss.

I grew up with 6 boys as the only the girl in the family and I wasn't raised as "the typical girl" by anyone's standards and I loved every minute of it. It didn't even occur to me that I was actually a girl until my 19th birthday. Weird but true. To this day I have a hard time adjusting to that...

As for the topic, I don't have any kids of my own but I love my two little nieces to death ( ages: 7 and 10 mo.) I don't get to see them much since I'm away in school but whenever I go back to Seattle I make sure I get to spend time with them and believe me I take them everywhere with me much to friend's dismay

I don't really know how I feel about motherhood but I guess one day I will, insha'allah.

Kool_Kat   

Malika, what a softie you are...Adaaba inaa labada haraanti kuu galiyo i heyso... Just KIDDING!!!

It takes a lot for a parent to do what you did, manshallah...Keep it up and thanks for the reminder...

The way we were raised by our parents is much much different than the way we will raise ours, as we are in different society and times...With that said, I don't, not even for a sec, want to change anything about my childhood and/or the way my parents and ayeeyooyin raised me...Na'aaaah...Specially, the love and tumid (alla qanjaruufada kululeedaa) we got from ayeeyo (Allow kuu naxariiso)...

There is no greater feeling than looking into your child's eyes and feeling your heart sink, without even saying one word...Or hearing the excitement in her voice when I've been out and she hears the keys opening the door 'Is M-O-M-M-I-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E!!!'...Or trying to understand what she's trying to tell me in her own little language (she is two now), and ending it with 'hickey (ok) mom?'... :D

Malika, thnx again walaalo...

Allow kheyrka noo badi... smile.gif