Sign in to follow this  
Bess.

HAPPY BIRTH DAY ....MSWORD

Nomads,

Stubborn Farah, I am. I refused to embrace western values! I swim against the tide, so to speak, of alien ideas that run contrary to all the things that I hold dear. I try to question things properly and be reasonable when confronted with convincing logic. I tend not to sing popular songs of the day, as it were, and I critically examine things. Birth date parties, good nomads, are distinctively western culture. For a Somali to do so is analogous to that infamous fox of our folk-tale that tried to mimic the peculiar walk of the lion. I can understand it. But I like to call things what they are. Here, I stand and can do no other!

In a big scheme of things, this may seem trivial issue and should not get our attention. But when you live in the heart of Midwest and see the daily struggle of Somali families trying to raise their children as Islamicly as they can, this sure puts pressure on them. You would expect learned nomads to be on the right side of the fence and not pioneer to embrace unfamiliar customs, but this (again) is not encouraging. And that merits my interjection of this otherwise smoothly initiated thread.

To be sure, I value the birth of this lovely girl of ours (Msword that is). Her contributions to the Poetry forum depict picture of a gifted and talented nomad who, quite successfully, managed to translate the nomadic tradition of oral expression into eloquent writing. I admire her thoughtfully crafted and well-put sentences that narrate complex anecdotes yet convey it with simplicity. That should dispel any hunch of me not thinking highly of her!

Besbaaso,

Apologies for the civil hijack of your thread!

Rendez,

Stay cool brother. And lets not indulge in the business of issuing decrees.

Haye, Stubborn Faaraaxyo against all things western. :D

Birth date parties, good nomads, are distinctively western culture.

Right. But are they wrong? You do increment your age by one year that day, or dont you? If you do, then my dear, you have observed this evil custom that is commemorating your birthday. How else do you observe this? Or you don’t? Is something wrong with the ones close to you remembering such a day and saying “Happy Birthday†or “Dhalasho wanaagsan� After all, you have lived through a time period that is considered significant (A year). Mind you, stubborn Faarax, that we are not discussing how to celebrate the day…for we could remember and wish some1 happy B’day and read du’a for them to honour the day.

I quite admire you cultural patriots, but sometimes…just sometimes, I feel it clouds your judgement of what is and isn’t a threat.

Asalam aleykum,

Originally posted by Amethyst:

[QB] Haye, Stubborn Faaraaxyo against all things western. :D

amn't against anything pro-western..I am from the OldSchool and I do understand the situation we guyz in..I was just touched and hoped to create some kind of notion/a discussion about this And Other 'TREND' going on in our ISLAMIC societies..while we are ululating 'happy birthday to our beloved Microsoft Word..

But what we are saying is that this trend..'dhalasho Wacan'..or Happy Birthday in English..is real and growing and we need to control..It shouldn't be seen as part of our Culture(somali)..

(If you ain't a somali..that is a different case altogether..)

I have had a case in my mind when posting the Thread..and you guys must say..Thank you for once..There was this family(Somali) close to us who used to sing..Happy birthday to u...To their one 5year old daughter..imagine..

Now tell me how that KID..a muslim and a somali for that matter will be in 40yrs time..maybe with less ISLAMIC education..She may think it is part and parcel of our religion and culture..unless explained otherwise for that matter.

What will be the experience with her kid..the next..and the next..do u guyz really understand my point..

This is my bone of contention..Otherwise

If you guyz aren't happy or don't understand.., let me wish(MsWord) The best in her life always.. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Wasalam..

Amethyst, very clever you’re! Conceding its western origin, is it wrong you asked? And you courtly reminded this stubborn Farah that this thread is not about how to celebrate! It’s rather a mere remembrance of this milestone, you insisted.

My objections, dear Falxado (I am a cultural patriot,remember, and I don’t like western names either), are both cultural and religious. For one I take issue with the fact we commemorate this event (Birth that is) out of sheer imitation of the west. We seem to signify this to be socially acceptable in Europe and America (BD celebrations in Africa and Middle East are seldom). For there are countless momentous events in one’s life (marrieage, finishing school, performing hajj to just name few), significance is not the reason we single out Birth for celebration.

We do that while our culture is diminishing by the minute. Grandmother Butaaco would’ve deemed all us alien for she wouldn’t see Madiix and Kuraysi performed. She wouldn’t recognize how Buraanbur is presented in our wedding ceremonies and she would’ve shocked to see our brides dressed with European white-gowns. She would’ve abhorred them (Brides) tasting cakes before the staring eyes. That sad state of our culture does not put you in a festive mood, me think

I also have my reservation about its permissibility as it represents un-Islamic value!

Since we agreed that it’s a western value, I thought it would be over kill to delineate how un-Islamic it ‘s.

J.Lee   

icon_razz.gif @ our beloved Microsoft Word

Thank You all for your kind words and in wishing me the best and I, MsMansha'allah :D wish you the same.

Tuujiye   

Kaalay THE RENZA, birth day elerjik aa ku tahay yaah..lol..Yo don't use the diin for this kind of stuff..you think you making a point but yo don't you know we were told to take the positive and the goodness of the kufars?..we were told to seek knowledge from asia and europe. If birth day party makes people feel good and their no self harm in it, their is nothing wrong with..same with Valentine and any other special holiday that has a positive atention..their a hadith that says, "wa man shabahul qoom fahuwa lahu"...But that hadith has nothing to do with things like this...you are little too extreme my friend..and don't use the religion to back up your vews...

Dawaco..lol..kaalay adi wiligaa birth day ma aqoon xagee ku baratay...adiga koow dheh, Juxa, checkmate, LST, qac'qac, nuune, loooooooooooool yaabka yaabkiis...

wareer badanaa!!!!

Nephissa   

But what we are saying is that this trend..'dhalasho Wacan'..or Happy Birthday in English..is real and growing and we need to control..It shouldn't be seen as part of our Culture(somali)..

My family celebrated birthdays in back home. Perhaps we lost our Culture while we were still living there. :confused:

Tuujiye,

Kitaab gaab waaxid. Adiga Xertii Macallin Nuur ku jirtey miyaa?

In a more serious note, you're off the mark. Your understanding of that Hadith falls short! Next time, sxb, make sure you do your homework and get help from your xer before you try to issue fatwa!

Tuujiye   

Yarta Xiinfaniin..Faras baad rahay...lol..Xer kulahaa..lol..Waraa hadaa adiga tahay qof fatwa yaqaan maxaa si xanaaq ah wax iigu sheegee..why don't you proof me how I'm wrong?...you just pointed finger at what I wrote but you didn't say anything about it...SXB..why don't you teach me my brother/sister..what eva...educate me...lol..baliiiiish...

Wareer badanaa!!!

Mafia   

Happy Birthday, Besbaaso!

Why are so many bro/sis going negative on this? There is nothing wrong with wishing people good as long as it's done in a manner that is consistent with the Islamic values and doens't conform/characterize a non-Muslim celebration.

How should you celebrate your birthday: Arab News

I hope you guys are happy now! and to Besbaaso...sister, jump up and down as you wish (so long you don't break those bones).

Gabbal   

Dhalasho wacan ku aadan inanta la yiraahdo Ms Word aka HornAfrique's poetic sister ;)

Though the real happy birthday is in real life, I just felt like adding a petty HAPPY BIRTHDAY on the net too :D Besbeeso thanx feery armajo for starting this sister-in-law :D

Jalaato   

TO: MSWORD

WAA HABEENKII DHALASHADAADEE HAMBALYAAN KUU SOO HIBAYNEE HABYAN WANAAGSAN HABYANWANAAYSAN HAPPY B-DAY HAPPY B-DAY HAPPY B-DAY TOOO YOUUUUU....

That is our B-Day song.. Remeber.