Sign in to follow this  
SayidSomal

Is Clan Everything?

i thought i told you two (che&nuune) that vagabonds & fakirs (respectively) are not welcome to comment on this thread :D

BTW who is winning?

i am gonna come back for this and analyse the data.

NGONGE   

nuune,

Depends what clan you hail from? Kuwa Ahlu El Sunna raacsan waxay odhan doonan VERY RECENTLY.

Kuwa Sheikh Sharif raacsan will say VERY SOON.

Kuwa Somaliland raacasn will say 'hada ma Chinese ba SL xoriyaay?'

Anyway, I already said they did everything from school to hospitals to looking after the orphans, elderly and ill. Somalia has not done it in the past 17 years. The clans and sub clans did.

nuune   

^^ Che :D it is a valid logic I guess, and I can say most people if not all would say "my clan waxba iima qaban waxna iima tarin"

take example qaaraan aruurinta, diyada etc, these examples and many more states dat your clan is benefitting from you than you benefitting from the clan itself,

I don't think anyone would rely on the clan for their daily survival

the other question would be, would there be a clan if you were not there!!

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by Che -Guevara:

My clan is as good as my next fix!

quote:

'family' (immediate and extended in kasta oo ay intaasiba badantahay).

:D:D

N that's your clan
icon_razz.gifNo. I'm from a very large family but my subclan is bigger than Nngonges. icon_razz.gif

Abtigiis   

Clan is nothing but a hide-out for the incompetent and primitives. Any person who can survive by his own doesn't need the clan. Misfits who can't get their wishes in life by their own tend to run to the clan cover.

On a good side, it sometimes works as a social insurance system and income-redistributio n mechanism.

Clan is nothing if you live in a society that doesnt value it; it is everything if you're Somali. But I'm rebeling so HELL to the NO! Clan is NOTHING to me but family is everything.

Speaking of clan, I was leaving a restaurant on Eid day, and we see a Somali chick with a camera recording something, then she yells out that she is a "journalist", then she tells me to say hi to the camera(I'm a bit annoyed by this time), then she says to me "this is for Ogaandeenya" and then she asks "qabiilkee tahay" WTF. Then, I said "none of your bussiness" then she says "be proud of who you're" and I told her that I was a proud Somali. Edebdaro.

Buuxo   

My tribe,my mothers ,my grandmother's are like an address.If it weren't for it ,we would not have know close relatives that live in the same city as in the qurbo.

We should really take the many positive aspects of qabiil.

Abtigiis   

C&H, The Somali Chick might genuinely believe she is a Somali from Ogaaandenya. There are lots of them who think ********ya is not a clan name but the name of the land. I think that is wrong. It is a clan name and it doesn't matter if you add explanations later as to why one has to use it.

Anyway, xaal qaado and you are right to believe you are Somali. I too feel the same, laakin dhalinyaro badan oo reerka ah ayaa lagu qufulay magaca wadanka is X, and don't really think they are talking about clan when uttering it. They may be misled and not clannists at all.

Anyway, VIVA ONLF. I support the ONLF not because I don't see their shortcomings, but because they are the only game in town. We have the UWSLF which doesn't carry the bad name of Og, but still all the fighters are from the same clan. Soomaalida kale intay go'aansan inay halganto, lama sugi karo. Dhaliishu waa dhinac kasta!

Abtigiis   

Che, I was making those comments in the context of Somalia. We can expand the scope of the debate and look at that, maybe some another time.

Buuxo, there is nothing wrong with clans, but clannishness is the disease. And believing that 'clan is everything' makes one clannish.

Two things annoyed me; The lady was recording people without their consent and she shouted out "it is for Ogaandeenya" as if you say no, you're against their struggle? Second, what is qabiilkayga got to do with the struggle? And yes, I do support the ONLF as a Somali person but whenever I attend their meetings, the whole thing sounds clanism, I mean the chanting of slogans, the whole "oo yaad tahay" and "anaga hadaan x nahay" just turns me off. Qabiil allegic ayaan ku ahay, all it takes for me to tune out someone is to open their mouth about qabiilkooda or attack another one.