Sign in to follow this  
SayidSomal

Is Clan Everything?

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Abtigiis & Tolka:

Che, I was making those comments in the context of Somalia. We can expand the scope of the debate and look at that, maybe some another time.

Buuxo, there is nothing wrong with clans, but clannishness is the disease. And believing that 'clan is everything' makes one clannish.

But it IS. As I clearly demonstrated in my earlier posts. You and the chocolate girl only came to moan but did not refute a word of what I wrote.

How did you get married, xaaji? If you fall out with the Mrsa nd she goes to her parents, who are you going to approach for reconciliation? If you crash your car into a little old lady when you know you have no insurance, who is going to bail you out? Ma wada?

Clan (like it or not) intrudes into almost every aspect of your life. Thus Clan IS everything. If that is clannish then we are all clannish. You are just ashamed of that fact. icon_razz.gif

Suddenly, magacaagan nacay. :D

Abtigiis   

Originally posted by chocolate & honey:

...she shouted out "it is for Ogaandeenya" as if you say no, you're against
their
struggle? Second, what is qabiilkayga got to do with the struggle?

Our struggle dheh halkaa. That few men and women who are ordinary Somali's (most somali's still live with anagoo reer-hebel ah mentality)chanted the name of their clan should not bring 'they' and 'us' from you. In fact, in so doing you are revealing that you are also sensitive to the clan issue.

Your other observation is right and the name issue is one of the fundamental mistakes of the ONLF, but if you think these people are a 'O' clan ( which is still Somali'is) fighting Ethiopia, you shouldn't be angry more than knowing a 'Dagodia' clan fighting Kikuyu's in Kenya. Haddi qabiil soomaliyeed oo qabiil kale la dagaalami ay yihiin, your anger would have been justifed. Iyadoo qabiil ahba iska taageer,hadaad caafimaad qabto.

Anigu se waxaan ogahay kuwa magaca wata iyo kuwa diidan ba inayna is dhaamin, oo la odhan karo adigu laftigaagu waxaad u xanaaqday maadaama aad qabiil aaminsan tahay. Convieniently here, you are on the safe side as you are for the bigger Somali name. By the way, I sometimes wonder why some somali's feel very angry with the mention of the 'Somalida *******ya' and fine with 'Somaalida Ethiopia'. If someone is ok with living with Ethiopia,where he will be a minority; he/she should be OK with living with Ogadeenya state with Oga/den hegemony. Haddii ficil qabiil uuna jirin weeye!

But the honest Somali's usually know that while the name Ogadeenya is divise, it is only part of the problem and the division among the somali's in somaligalbeed goes much deeper than that of a name.

Fabregas   

Clan is not everything. Clan is more than Everything. Clan is like what Potatoes is to the eighteenth century Irish. Clan is like what water is to fish. Somalis thrive on clan, live on clan, die on clan, swear by clan. And clan is everywhere amongst all groups in society. Even the "Emir" of the pan Somali religious group, Alshabab( Red Seas relative-lol) recently paid tribute to the clans who he believed helped Islam and welcomed the Mujahideen.

But here is the golden rule: Clan is everything you want it to be. I don't particularly care about clan, so by the time I am 49 I want to marry a thoroughbred young women from Kismayo and one in Berbera and one in Brava. ;) Relaxing at the beach chilling with her clan relatives. Bam Bam Boom. What a life! ( there is room for one fish and chips)

Abtigiis   

Ngonge, horta what you said is not accurate. It depends where you grew up. It is usually the case that somali's settle along clan lines. So, in a given town, it is possible your childhood friend will likely be from your clan as well. That is why sometimes your best friend just happens to be from your clan.

Those who grew up in towns and areas with a mix of clan (mostly bigger town), will not have that problem and I have often seen them turning to friends who do not share anything with them in terms of the clan link.

Horta in my case, I don't really turn to my clan. When I run into problems and if I do run into one, the most reliable person I will turn to is a friend from Bay and Bakool (who is Adan Madoobe's tribe). It has happened before and I don't think it will ever change. That is not the only person. I can even turn to Axmaaro friends (who I trust will come to my aid before my clan men). So, what you said is not entirely true. But I don't expect you to look at it from this side. As a born-again, clan looks very big issue for you. That is what it looks from the surface.The reality is different. Many will not agree with me in this forum, though.

NGONGE   

A&T, I already put in a disclaimer about qurbo joogs. We are talking about the importance of clans to Somalis in general and not anecdotal stories about girls taking photos or your occasional deals with your friends.

Abtigiis   

Even in somalia, the importance of the clan is on the wane. It is self-interst that really guides ones loyalty to clan. If a given Habar-lover thinks he or his son will get something from Riyaale, they will go for him; if they don't they go for whoever will give them. Such has been the dramatic change in Somalia that clan is now only important in name. You can have a particular Suldaan or Ugaas from clan X to say something and have anther one from the same clan refute him. The days of blind loyalty to clan is getting behind us!

NGONGE   

^^ In a time of peace this might be true. But when the brown stuff hits the fan EVERYONE reverts to type. Still, even in times of peace the Ugaas, Suldan or normal person still has to follow most of the timeless rules of the clan system. To say otherwise is to live in the land of dreams.

Jibreel   

Clan is evrything and yet it is nothing. For identification and being a member of a certain society for some social reason is perhaps the only appealing aspects of it.

Jibreel.

Buuxo   

LOL.Trust Ngonge to bring-back qabiil.

Qabiil is certainly not everything.I know many people that I could turn to and would offer me whatever I needed and I sido kale and we don't share any clan ties.But Islam + Somalinimo =Humaanity

Paragon   

I admit I didn't bother to read any of the above replies, but to answer is clan everything? I will say.

Absolutely! Clan is everything! Clan is our war and our only solution. To dispute that clan is something is to kick peace in the teeth.

In fact, to dismiss clan is to dismiss your very own existance as a human.

Let's grow up now. Get serious.

Blessed   

Qabil is a self-serving social network. It means nothing when you're self sufficient and everything when you're not.

I've seen the clan pull together and help a needy individual out / build schools and that's an aspect of it that I personally would like to be part of.

Our struggle dheh halkaa. That few men and women who are ordinary Somali's (most somali's still live with anagoo reer-hebel ah mentality)chanted the name of their clan should not bring
'they' and 'us'
from you. In fact, in so doing you are revealing that you are also sensitive to the clan issue.

:D Not 'they' and 'us' No, it is 'they' and 'me' :D I see what you saying, abti. I'm very sensitive to any gathering where qabiil is the driving factor.

NG,

I have no interest in refuting your argument because it doesnt make no sense. If I crash my car and have no insurance, I will phone my family and my immidiate relatives(first, 2nd cousins)not my qabiil for I dont even know where in the city they live. Hadii ninku caroodana ama uu wax igu sameeyo, it is between me and him to solve our marital issues :rolleyes: . I hate people who broadcast their mundane marital issues. You want oday farah to know why your wife left the house, really??