Sign in to follow this  
England girl

Trying to find info on my somali roots

Hello Somalia online,

I was born in somalia, and left at 2 years old, I've never been back since, and for the majority of my life I been bought up with a white family, I've never been around somali people and can't speak somali. I'm soo curious about my 'roots', yet i can't contact my mother as she sadly died trying to flee the war. If anyone would like to enlighten me on somali history or anything somali, please do as I'd love to learn!!

Love and Peace to you all

Bye x

OG Moti   

Dear Asker

People know my ability to recognize people by their looks, I do understand you are looking for your roots, and Somalia's best and worse blessings seem to be tribe, because of tribe Somalis get to trace their roots, and sadly because of it they kill each other, however lets look at the bright side,

I am expert in Somali history, and tribes, I can identify someone by their looks; what tribe they belong to and even sometimes what town they are from, from there we can trace your people and find your roots in Somalia, all you have to do is send me a picture standing position and looking straight at the camera, and inshaAllah we will find what you looking for, send me 3 pictures with different locations, just to make sure if you are serious or not, it is a routine procedure...so the rule us Help me Help you..

P.S. I am a very busy man, so the sooner we do this the better..

BEst luck

PEace

Sky   

England Girl

Let's start with any of your questions you might have. I'm more than happy to help you. Wether you want to know how and where to learn the Somali language, Somali History etc. And I'm sure all the other nomads will offer their labo kumi (2 cents).

J.Lee   

I would suggest going to the local library, or Google-ing instead of sending Adeer P. your pictures. God forbid.

Goonle   

Originally posted by Wordette:

I would suggest going to the local library, or Google-ing instead of sending Adeer P. your pictures. God forbid.

Why u misleading the poor gir. Tell us how in the heck shes gonna find information on googles about a bearfoot country woman on the internet. Your real motive here is to %ick block Pace.

OG_Girl   

I’m sorry but when I was reading your post I thought you would ask for help to find your family, such a father, grandparents, uncles, cousins if they exist! Never thought some one who does not know his immediate relative would ask for general history about Somalia and Somalis. I would advice you first to look your family if they exist.

Salam

first of all, welcome, second your first lesson in somali:

1. Waryaa (war-y-a-a)-- affectionate term for a skinny male aka a farax

2. Naayaa (n-a-a-ya-a)-- the equally affectionate term for the skinny female aka a xaliimo

we tend to be abusive, distrustful and damn right rude to each other here, but all in the name of love. so knock-em back as fast as they throw things at u.

what would u like to learn? here, u're just gonna meet a bunch of qaxooti (refugees) trying to bling it up (and doing alright at it most of the time) but we'll try to be helpful ... when we're not attacking u for something or other.. but please remember to develop a thick hide and an opinionated thick skull to go with it inoder to get the most from the skinnies.

... brother P - aka OG_moti aka the warrior nomad of Phnom Penh (why the hell did u change u're name?!?) -- lives in cambodia and heat in jungle has messed with his head a bit, so u have to excuse him most of the time, however he is the source of many gem and enlightened discussion on this forum

Castro   

Originally posted by England girl:

If anyone would like to enlighten me on somali history or anything somali, please do as I'd love to learn!!

It's best to do the Google search as someone advised earlier. You are not looking for lost family as some nomads above mistakenly believe. You're searching for historical and cultural narratives. This site is really not where you can get them.

Start here and go from there.

dawoco   

England girl, firstly, wlc to SOL. Learning about Somalia and Somalis isn't very hard. Though the history can be very ambiguous, as each person has a different take on our country's historics depending on his/her tribe. So I will leave other better enlightened nomads to fill in gap.

Somalia wasn't a rich country by any stretch of the imagination, but it had many positive things going for it. What I remember from back home is the sense of community. In my opinion our people are a lovely bunch to get to know.

If you befriend one or two somalis, I'm sure our community will take you in happily. It's a great way to see somali tradition in practise.

ps: ignore the guy who has asked you for pics, he has stalking tendencies ;)

Hey thank you all for you're replies, it's greatly appreicated! Special thanx for that link

dawoco, it was kind of you. And to those who realised I only wanted general info smile.gif

The pictures on google are nice, Somali has beautiful places and people!! I'll probally bore you all but I'm gonna post some I found..

Xarago   

Originally posted by P_508:

all you have to do is send me a picture standing position and looking straight at the camera,.... send me 3 pictures with different locations, just to make sure if you are serious or not, it is a routine procedure...so the rule us Help me Help you..

^^^

Bloody per*ert.... :mad: :mad:

OG Moti   

First of All, I dont know "ma anigaa walan, mise Ceel baa la ciyi (ciyi=qeylin; for those who are enriched with the language) Sister england my above words means "AM I CRAZY OR SOMEONE IS SHOUTING IN CEELGAAB" and CEELGAAB is the economic capital of Somalia.. anyway guys you are not helping the girl and you are not letting me help her.. sister you want to find your people send the pictures before i change my mind.. i am serious i am offering my assistance and one thing i hate most is not to be appriciated.. hurry before i change my mind and dont believe these guys, they can not relate to you, I know how you feel, i have solved similar cases.. I will leave the matter in ur hands.. HELP ME, HELP YOU

Peace

Prove

I found her daughter

canjero.JPG

The daughter

somaliw.gif

Thank you for trying to help but I don't understand how a picture will help? I know my mum clan.....but also I don't understand what a 'clan' is and what it entails (maybe you guys may hate me cus of it).... :confused:

Nephissa   

Well there's only one way to find out whether we'll hate or love you. What's mommy's tribe?

Wait..

Do not say it here, you'll be violating Golden rule #12. PM might suffice. :D