Oodweyne

Today Was The Day SNM was Created And The History of The Somali Peninsula Changed Forever.

Oodweyne   

Hello Foks,

Today back in 6th of April in 1981, a group of middle-class professional men gathered in a London's hotel and proclaimed a political movement call SNM. And for good measure vowed to liberate their land whatever it takes and throw over a perniciously illegal military dictatorship that was occupying their home. And of course, the rest is a well-trodden and amply told history that needn't detained us now at this far removed from that momentous day of the history of the Somali peninsula.

Ducale   

Between daraawiish iyo snm, darawiish have nothing on the snm.  20 years of waisted struggle oo ku biyo  shubmay.... 'Adiguba Caqlaad Leedahee Carar Maxaa Dhaama'. 

I see In time all reer somaliland celebrating the history of the snm regardless of clan. 

• Thanks 1

Oodweyne   
37 minutes ago, Ducale said:

Between daraawiish iyo snm, darawiish have nothing on the snm.  20 years of waisted struggle oo ku biyo  shubmay.... 'Adiguba Caqlaad Leedahee Carar Maxaa Dhaama'. 

I see In time all reer somaliland celebrating the history of the snm regardless of clan. 

The "Dervish history" (with warts and all) is still a Somaliland's history. At least if you consider it where it had started geographically, although it was a "Pan-Somalis" in its true nature of it.

Hence, in time we really need to "detoxify" from the "Pseudo-history" and the "bogus mythologizing" in which Kacaanka (or the Gen Barre's military regime) have "imbued" with it. Or at very least have "infected" with it.

And this in turn will mean a proper scholarly work needs to be done on the history of the "Dervish Movement" with the view of actually writing it down the "actual account" of it without "employing" or "grinding" any "clannish axe" to hand (ad it were).

And in particularly in the way of that sort of a scholastic and scholarly pursuit of that history out to be written with of course "copious references" bringing up the rear, or "populating in the marginalia" of that body of work.

And this will in tun means that the precise opposite of the way the Kacaanka's historiographers have approached this historical case should be the method in which it must be handled if one is to take up a "pen-to-paper" for this very "controversial historical chapter" of the Somali peninsula.

And I am sure we in Somaliland have now enough university's educated folks in the ground in Somaliland to do this scholarly works very soon for the nation as a whole. So that way our future generations will learn their history (with warts and all). And that history will also include, of course, that of the SNM as well.

17 hours ago, Ducale said:

Oh, yes, they hold big rallies every year in Las Anod, Borama and Baran celebrating the triumph of SNM:D

You are a particular type of a moron.

Oodweyne   
4 hours ago, Barwaaqo said:

A real history there from late Mr Qaybe. Or at any rate, a real "bird's eye-view" of what took place in 27th of May of 1988, which when Gen. Barre thought to himself, that, finally, he got the then SNM's insurgents forces where he wanted them to be. And then only for him to find out in the dead-of-the-night, that, the SNM had actually "check-mated" him by basically crossing into the country and taking the fight to his occupying army that was then "stationed" in the then northern region of the Somali Republic.

It was really a brave decision for the then SNM to have done that. And with it they have took the "strategical initiative" into their hands as opposed to waiting out for the outcome of whatever "deal" in which the likes of Gen. Barre and Mingustu cut it out for one another.

And the rest, as they say, is history of the most clear-cut case of having a "victors" and "vanquished" constantly staring each other through the pages of history. And for good measure having the chief leader of the "vanquished clique" dying in "disgrace" in a "toilet chamber" in Lagos of Nigeria (of all places).

In other words, a victory of this pungently sweet-smelling sort never comes to most societies in history, much less said about the "privilege" of having to lived through it such a "victory", like many of us did it, indeed.

• Thanks 2

galbeedi   

Waxa uu yidhi, " Hadaan daayana iyagaan I daynayn".

Waxa uu ku daray, " Siddi, Sididaada moyaane , Dhul u dhacaaga Hubso.

A lot of bad things and tragedies had happened in the Somali nation yet,  because of the grace of Allah , we were speared more deadly things than one can imagine in his mind. When you look carefully,  the evil plots that were directed toward our people and nation, you wonder how this nation is still standing except with the grace of God.

In the early eithties , a both angry and power hungry tribal movements were unleashed by many countries,  spontaneously from our neihbhors and the countries of the gulf to finish off Somalia once for all. SNM, SSDF, USC and others were armed and unleashed by Menguistu of Ethiopia, Saudi Arabia, Yemen,and Libya. Mengistu , the most ruthless dictator the African continent ever seen in the 20th century, told Somalis to get the Somali dixtator Siyaad Barre. Mengistu has killed 60 generals in one night, killed thousands of his opposition both civilian and politicians; and personally ,  participated the murder of a president and a king, and in 1977, in Jigjiga, had killed Somali businessmen, elders  political leaders, students and others including the Ugaas of the Awdal community Ugaas Doodi Ugaas Rooble.

Yey, that bloody dictator told  the Somali alphabet movements to  remove the Somali dictator. The angry tribes, went from an authoritarian dictator of Somalia to one  the ruthless killers of the 20th century in league with Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot and others of the century. Mengistu trapped them. Every one knew that in nineteen eighty, the only way to change the regime was the destruction of the whole state, yet the angry Somalis didn't realize the plot after many years in the nineties.

After these groups destroyed our country and finished off the state, the Somali people were still standing. When famine and other issues created by the desolution of the state weakned our people, a ruthless Wahabi movement intrested to use our people as a coltaral damage to implement the goals of the evil gulf countries were unleashed among us. The Alphabet movement denied the Somali people to their Somali hood and called and put them a tribal stamp in their forehead. The Wahhabi movement denied the Somali people both their heritage and their faith and started a campaign of oppression to remake the nation while coordinating with foreign spies and intelligence. 

Remind you  that the gulf campaign had started earlier than we might think. Unlike what the false " MUjaahidiin" of the SNM tell us,  the movement was not created in London in April 6 1981. It was first proclaimed in Jaeddah, Saudi Arabia with the blessing of  the Kingdom. The early leaders of the movement were a well connected group who were financed by the Saudis. 

Somalia already left the communist block and joined the Saudi and the American camp, yet for fear of western development of Somali oil and gas, the Saudis took part the campaign to destroy and dismember Somalia. Even the flag of the SNM was emulated to get the Saudi attention. Even the idea of the false " Mujaahid" came from the Saudis who were organizing the Afghanistan war aganst the Soviet in 1980.  In 1988, when SNM entered Somalia, the first rig to test and bring oil was started by Conoco Phillips in Zaylac region of Awdal, The rig was already set up and  helipads for helicopters were built, and other equipment were brought in by the Americans. The SNM , in coordination with Saudis and Omer Gheele who was in charge of the intelligence, started the campaign against the rig in Awdal cost. This issues needs more ink than time would allow, but the Somali nation, despite the crimes of Siyaad Barre were meant to be decapitated by many actors using useful idiots and angry  tribes hell bent on  revenge.

Thee were no group of Somalis in the history of the Somali republic who took an unfair advantage of the Military government of 1969 than the Hargeisa and Burco community. In 1960 there were some disadvantages taken by the South due to their political experience, but all that was crushed and changed by the Kacaan. In 1969, Hargeisa was small town, If you do not believe ask those who lived their. Even Mogadishu was small. The Northern Isaaq got the biggest share of the power of the Somali Revolutionary Counsel.  Because of their presence in the cabinet, controlling both the national economy, foreign policy, and the implementation of the most serious projects of the Kacaan, like: (Oloolihii Af-Soomaliga, Kii Shaqada, Kii Hantiwadaaga, Kii ladagaalanka musuq maasuqa), they succeeded by  crafting a dual economic strategy  for the country.

One for the North,  with market economy and free dealing of the goods from the gulf and the world, and another  for state economy of  Banaadir and the two rivers. Puntland region and central Somalia  (Mudug and Galgaduud) were no mans land due to both political issues regarding the marginalization of the old order or neglect. After Somalia joined the Arab league in 1974, thousands of Somalis from the North got the biggest share of the Visas offered by the gulf countries. In return millions of dollars were sent to Hargeisa. Between 1976-1981, Hargeisa grew probably six fold. In fact, it was that economic growth and the petro-dollar that gave to the hubris to start the movement. One might even argue that some of those men including Mohamed Hashi, the former finance minister were in Saudi Arabia because of the visa offered by Omer Carte Qalib.

They said, " If the puntlanders who got nothing in central Somalia could wage a war  , how about a group of people who have enough wealth between Burco-Berbera-Hargeisa triangle. With the help of the Saudis and others they got their wish.

Ask Muuse Biixi what was the main reason he went to Ethiopia after taking advantage of the scholarship.  Although I read somewhere that a false General in Jigjiga saying that " Muuse was suppose to be arrested and within 12 hours, I made him a passports , talked to the American embassy and Muuse flew clandestinely from the airport. This general does not Know  that if you had an arrest warrant and escaped, the state has the power to cancel that scholarship as it did happen some of our own colleagues. Since everyone is a victim , Muuse Biixi, a man who went to state scholarship, and after finishing went straight to his own tribe, yet he was wronged.

When the SNM thing was proclaimed, the Northern tribe was the richest among Somalis, and hubris and money was the biggest incentive to create an armed opposition. Usually , people feel the murder, oppression and tyranny of the state before they form a rebel movement like Suldan Wabar did in Awdal,  but in the case of the SNM, they created the movement during the prosperity, and then instigated the violence which forced the state to react. 

In all, most Somalis who took part these movements are either sorry, regret or look back with different attitude for what took place. Those dark days that created the mayhem we all gone through must be forgotten and repented rather than celebrate. For those who took part those wars, only God All mighty knows what each one of them had in his intension. Whether it was a war against injustice or tribal pride. 

SNM was never a Somali movement to change the system of government despite their claim. Their main purpose which was supported by Mengistu was the dismemberment of Somalia. The Ethiopian tanks were in Borama in 1991, and they were in Burco in 1991 when they convened the conference to announce the secession. People who were present even told us about the Ethiopian general who was going back and forth between Addis and Burco to push for separation.

After the expulsion of SNM from major towns in 1989,  the movement became ruthless and blood thirsty. After the collapse of the state in 1991, they killed almost all those who belonged  the wrong tribes  they encountered both in Burco and Borama. They even killed people inside a Mosque in Magaala Cad.

After 27 years, there is nothing tangible that has been achieved by the Somaliland project. More than half of the people feel chronic poverty, unemployment is 70% , the youth are either dying in high seas or sitting idle in coffee shops; people are starving from Togdheer region to Awdal, while In Hargeisa there are parties in the hotels to replace one director to another (Xafladii xil wareejinta agaasimaha wasaarada maaliyada). 

Somalia are in difficult situation, but historian could describe the Somali state as a growing pain, like a child who want to rise and run. When that child learns how to run, no one will be able to stop him. On the other hand, Somaliland is like an old 80 years old man that has nothing but to decline. If you can not build any credible institution or create basic harmony among the people for 27 years which is almost half of the average life expectancy of the Somali person what more could you do if another seven years are added for INa Biixi.

Yet despite all the hopelessness and bleak future some predict for Somalis, I see a great future where Somalis rule the horn with pride and strength. I have no doubt that the false " Mujaahid " ideology will be defeated and the North will be brought back to the union. If some of us had our own way, we might even bring them back without firing any shot, because we believe that their ideology to be weak and  indefensible.

A year or so ago when Farmaajo was elected, I said that the leader of the Somali nation must feel as the custodian of the horn of Africa. We own and inhabit the largest land mass and the most strategic land in the horn. The Somali leader must be the anchor of the Somali people from Jijiga to Djibouti, and Wajeer. I have no doubt that the future belong to us. When I say these pronouncements,  some of you might say that is the usual boating of Galbeedi, yet, I can sense our future.

In the battle of alliance (Ahsaab), the prophet(PBUH)was  with less than three thousand poor and starving army which  had faced an alliance of ten thousand strong from the Quresh, Khatfan and other tribes. For a month,  no one could raise his head in the trenches. People did not eat for days. While digging the trenches, the companions could not break one huge stone. THe prophet (pbuh) tried and hit the stone and there was some kind of light that came after the metal hit the stone. The Prophet (Peace be upon him) said, " I saw Muslims taking Syria" , again he hit and said , " I see the conquest of Persia, and I can even see their white buildings", one more he hit and said, " I see the conquest of the city of the under the water, Constantinople"

The hypocrites who were present were not amused. One of the said, " We can not even pee outside, and he is taking about Persia" ( Waan kaadi tagi kari la'nahay, isaguna waxa uu ka hadlayaa faarsiin iyo dhankaas). Folks, we say, " Sadaqa Rasullah".

As believers,  the triumph and the glory belong to those who are just and those who hold to  the rope of the unity. Separatists are crushed every where these days, and God has cursed those o who rebel for petty reasons. 

I have said enough for one day, but let me conclude that the Somali nation must rise up from the ashes of tribalism, anarchy, secession, famine and  constant quarrel. We must take our place among the free nations of the world. We expect the current leaders of the day to do their job and build credible institutions that must protect the Somalis from others and among themselves. After that they must pass the torch to the next generation of leader who do not carry the water neither for Dubai, Qataer, Ethiopa or anyone else. 

• Thanks 1

It is really gratifying to see Professor Abdisalaam Yasiin & Engineer Mohamed Hashi who are one of the founding members still with us today.  Their leadership & sacrifice is why we enjoy the freedoms we take for granted in Somaliland.  You know how special the SNM cause is when you look at how much those who took part gave up, whether it was promising careers, lucrative jobs, material wealth, youth & their very lives.  May Allah grant them the highest Jannah and have mercy on their souls.  They are rare breed and if we want Somaliland to continue to go from strength to strength we need to tap into what made the SNM so successful. 

On a side note whenever I see the likes of Che & Galbeedi foaming at the mouth I know we are on the right track.  Keep it up guys. 

• Thanks 2

@Galbeedi,

I see that you have overdone yourself this time. :D

I was laughing out load reading your wild assertions like the one about the SNM being created out of "shear arrogance" by a "cashed up" few. They woke up one morning and said... "hmm, lets turn the Somali people upside down.." and they did. :D:D

It is a nice plot for a fiction movie. I think you should sell the script to Hollywood, they buy that kind of stuff.  

On a serious note, unlike the folks from Awdal who have grown with the sweet banana of Afgooye and prolly rooted few taste-buds for the reknowned reer Koonfur dishes like Muufo. I am glad that the normal folks from Awdal region who were on the ground and witnessed the full gamut of events from start to finish, have a different version and take, a version that more or less is in lock step with mine. :D 

And fact check,  things were fluid in Addis Abeba in early months of 1991 as TPLF and EPLF closed on Mengistu. A lot of the Amhara army stationed in Somali region crossed into Somaliland and Djibouti seek asylum. I remember in Daroor Refugee camp, one morning they left the army base and you can see tank and other armour abandoned on the road to Somaliland because of lack of fuel. All these armoury would end up in the hands of SNM and ONLF. 

So for you to suggest that a gov't in Addis Abeba in such situation was still calling shots, is quite laughable. It jus shows how you are trying very hard with your imaginations. :D 

• Haha - That was funny. You made me laugh! 1

4 hours ago, galbeedi said:

Somalia are in difficult situation, but historian could describe the Somali state as a growing pain, like a child who want to rise and run. When that child learns how to run, no one will be able to stop him. On the other hand, Somaliland is like an old 80 years old man that has nothing but to decline. If you can not build any credible institution or create basic harmony among the people for 27 years which is almost half of the average life expectancy of the Somali person what more could you do if another seven years are added for INa Biixi.

Yet despite all the hopelessness and bleak future some predict for Somalis, I see a great future where Somalis rule the horn with pride and strength. I have no doubt that the false " Mujaahid " ideology will be defeated and the North will be brought back to the union. If some of us had our own way, we might even bring them back without firing any shot, because we believe that their ideology to be weak and  indefensible.

Well, the 27 years that Somalia was a failed state is ok to you,  But the 27 years of Somaliland rebuilding itself and reaching where it is today - something people with honest heart will not hesitate to admit - means bad. Ok, I got it, you are making lots of sense now. :D 

Anigoon gantaalaha dhaca iyo, haysan Qori gaaban,

Hashaan Gaadawaynow Libaax uga gaban waayay,

Inaan goroyo cawl uga tagaa, waa mid soo gudhay :D 

• Thanks 1

Oodweyne   

Hello Folks,

I was planning to go out with all guns blazing on our poor lad Galbeedi, at least metaphorically speaking, or try to verbally make a short-work of his fiction. But it seems our Suldaanka, and my old friend, Ace of Spadez (long time no see, mate, what is cooking, heh?) seems to have beat me to the punch in here.

So, I shall spare your eyes this time around from my long treaties of a "wordy argument" intended to take-it-apart at the seams of the tendentious piffle in which our Galbeedi friend (as his wont always is) seems to yet again have decided to detained us with it.

But suffice to say, I will say this, at least in passing. Ad that is the SNM may have had many "faults" (and the founders of that movement as well as the lowly foot-soldiers will readily admit that), but never, ever, had there been an Ethiopian's tanks patrolling the streets of Burco, as our Glabeedi is alleging in here. And there have never been some Ethiopian's general sitting in the middle of Burco conference of May of 1991.

And I know this because I was actually there on the ground in Burco. In particularly as a young foot-loose university student who took an extended Easter holiday break (of April and May of 1991) from his university education from London (UCL to be precise). And then went to his home in Somaliland via Djibouti and landing in Hargeisa and then onward to Burco whilst eventually getting and ending up briefly in Ceerigaabo.

So I was actually there on the ground. And I saw what actually took place there. For I had a "ring-seat" place in those tumultuous days, observing the deliberation there. And for good measure I was actually one of the "note-takers" of the conference (officially registered as such). And I was "attached" (or "seconded" as the official lingo had it) to then the chairman of the SNM of that time,  namely the late Mr Cabdirahman Tuur, who later on that same conference became the first president of Somaliland.

So, Mr Galbeedi, please, nigger, spare us your wild baseless accusation that has no foundation on reality other than your ability to conjure up "tiresome fiction" layered with another fiction on top of it from your imagination. 

As for the rest of Mr Galbeedi's rigmarole or perhaps a "his warmed-up cow's manure" in which he told in here. And for good measure told us with straight face (no less) all one can say about it is that, this is his way of "over-compensating" his failed unionist ideology in which he sees dying it in every passing year in front of him and dying in the hearts of the normal citizen of Somaliland, even in his own region of Awdal.

Hence, we must bare with his "wild spasm" of an endless and aimless "verbal aggression", all intended, like the poet (i.e., Mr Dylan Thomas) famously said it, "raging against the dying of the light". And it seems his "union light" is dying in Somaliland in front of him. And therefore, our Galbeedi is deeply raging in front of us because of it. Whilst for good measure he is also "foaming-at-the-mouth" (as it were).

And lamentably for him this political ideology of his is even dying in its last stronghold of Sool region, given the fact that it already gave up its "feeble ghost" in his Awdal region some time ago. Notwithstanding the laughable attempt of reviving this dead ideology in which the likes of Suldaan Waber have had tried it in his hands on it in Awdal region some time ago and failed it rather miserably, indeed.  .

Consequently, this is his way of "summoning" the "spirit of  fighting ghost" to be put at the service of his "doomed unionist ideology". And his log-tiresome argument in here is but a one manifestation of that desperate attempt to try to awaken the dead-spirit of a long-ago perished unionist ideology from their grave in which the then SNM movement have indeed lowered them into it in one glorious day, which was back in May of 1991. 

Oodweyne   

Professor Abdisalam Yasin, who was one of the founders of SNM and was present at that famous meeting of 6th of April of 1981 along with Eng. Mahamed Hashi, explains in here a few "home truth" in-terms of what it takes to "liberate" a nation from the grip of a merciless dictatorship.

And how in particularly he actually saw on a first hand basis as to what our people are really capable of doing. Particularly if the "fierce urgency of the time" or the "contest of destiny" call on them to do such a monumental feat of effort.

Which is what happened when the fate itself "summoned" a few good men of his kind to do the historically impossible task of seeing the back of late Gen. Barre's occupying forces from our land, once and for all.

• Thanks 1

Barwaaqo   

Ma jiro guri Somaliland ah oon halgankan ka qayb qaadan ama cidi uga dhiman. Alle haw naxariisto dadkayagii ku dhintay. 

galbeedi   

Allah ha u naxariisto dadkii geeriyooday ee dulmi lagu dilayba. 

Sidoo kale Allah ha U naxariisto kuwii SNM xasuuqday .

The truth might hurt, but SNM was formed exclusively by men who lived in Saudi Arabia. Almost all them left the country in the middle of seventies and decided to form a movement . Some even thought that the SSDF,  as a sole rebel movement,  might take all the credit . After the disaster of the 1977 war, and the failed coup of 1978, they wanted to join the action.

Among those who left  Saudi Arabia in early 1981 and went to London to share the formation of their plan were:

Mohamed Ahmed Guuleed

Mohamed Hashi Cilmi

Saciid C/laahi Cigaal

Hassan Ciise Jaamac

Mohamed Ahmed Ziyad

and many more.......

In  order to form a rebel movement in early February 1981, something bad, evil or oppressive must had taken place in Hargeisa before 1980. Unlike what the latte sipping crowd makes you believe, not one single Habro community was killed between 1972-1980 or any heavy weight politician arrested  by the regime to create a rebel movement.  Of course Cumar Carte was replaced as foreign minister due to his actions in war of 1977.  In an interview,  he bragged about forming the SNM himself. 

. If the issue was  about the dictatorship and the oppressive nature of the Siyad Barre regime,  one might argue that in those decades of seventies and early eighties, African, Asian or even eastern European dictatorship was the norm. 

In 1980, Hargeisa was the richest city in the Somali republic where market economy and the free dealing of goods  were implemented,  while a communist based economic ideology  was the norm for the rest of the country where  everything was controlled by the state. As a young high school student , I passed through Hargeisa where the latest Japanese made Cressida and Toyota Corolla's fill the streets. Due to rapid growth and inflation, the  Somali shilling coins disappeared from the market. In Burco, the Somali live stock is brought from Puntland which were ghost towns in early eighties due to the SSDF insurgency, all the way to Hiiraan.  Truck loads of livestock were organized in the Beer area of Togdheer and shipped out of  Berbera.

Even Haaji Cabdi Waraabe said, " Hadday Hargeisa iska dayn lahaayeen, London bay noqo lahayd".

In economics , they say  that after people become rich or reaches middle class status, they demand more freedom to enjoy their wealth. I am not an economist, but I do believe the rich northerns travelling between Dubai, Doha and Jeddah decided to use their dollar and wealth to foment an uprising. Go check how those who tried to rise against military governments fared in Chile, Ethiopia, Egypt, Syria, Hungary or Libya. 

As I said before, the rebel movement were created before any major troubles arose from the cities. I do not want to discuss what happened after the fact. 

Look, Cigaal bombed Burco to save his small administration that was formed in Borama in 1993. Siilaanyo used armored guns to attack Sool and the eastern region to force people in his project. Why can't a powerful Somali state use it's resources to defend and defeat a movement sponsored by Ethiopia which we fought a war four years earlier in 1977.

Allah ha u Naxariisto intii dhimatay, but let us forget that disastrous chapter and look to the future.