Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Should we change our diet?

N.O.R.F   

I have seen the effects of the Somali diet on many elders. The usual complaint is ulcers and ‘gasteriig’. Bariis everyday. Hilib everyday. No fruit. No fish. No exercise. Fadhi iyo sheeko uun.

Bal is ilaaliya.

Hales   

This is your typical week for dinner.

Monday - Bariis

Tuesday - Baasto

Wednesday - Barado and Quthaar

Thursday- Bariis

Friday- Baasto if its a different day youll have Fries or other stuff

Saturday - Bariis

Sunday - Barado

There are days when you occasionally get a unique meal but those days dont come too often.

Change diet? hell yeah!

Polanyi   

It's healthy to get away from somali food once in a while,have a large doner and one coke to roll with that.

Haatu   

Hell yeah we need to change our diet. Poor elders like Ngonge are having to suffer from laabjeex because of our restricted diet. One thing that helps is eating noodles and fish.

I eat health and I still get laabjeex so it is not about the food always. But definately we need to change our diet, the food that somali people eat are mostly white rice, white pasta and top of that shaax full of sugar.

Bambina   

Salam to all. Our diet needs to be changed, it's mostly full of carbohydrates, do not eat the 3B on a regular basis: Bariis, Baasto, Baradho, lol.The best diet for people advised by Prophet Mohamad (PBUH) is to eat less meat in summer, it's harmful for your health, and eat it more in winter times.

Stop mixing meat and poultry,I'm sure y'all know the Somali plate in parties, bariis,suqaar,one leg of chicken, salad, and banana.Chicken is digested much faster than meat,have pity on your stomack !!! :(

Also do not eat fruits right after your meal (u know the banana and the likes). Add veggies to your vocabulary, and y'all be fine. :D

NASSIR   

we need to change da way we live, da way we eat and the way we treat each other. U c it's not working for us always to do what we getta do to survive. I STILL SEE NO CHANGE

:D:D

I agree with Norfsky. I personally eat from several places and do my own physical fitness workout two times a week.

More fruits, drinking more water (2 gallons a day) and eating the white meat would give u a healthy lifestyle. That is the way to go, so let us do it, my fellow Nomads.

Somalina   

2pac's Changes is appropriate for this topic. :D

Diet and exercise is the way to go. You gotta love your body because no one else will so please throw away that hilib ari with baruur.

I been preaching that for a while now. Bariis iyo baasto waxaa ka sii daran, meel halkaana islaamihina have stores and waxay ku hayaan igu qabo sanbuus, buskut iyo xalwo and sugary tea every hour on the hour because each is only a dollar. Odaayashina maqaaxiyaashi ayey shaah iyo Latte ka dhameeyen with slices of cake. Then they come home to maraq, hilib ari iyo bariis. Carbs, Bad bad carbs. I was thinking of handing out fliers the other day.

There are so many diabetes cases in the community now.

Juxa   

xalwo is not fattening yaa CH? so puhlease dont insult it.

somalis eat alot, that is the cause of their obesity. one should eat in moderation lakin islaan walba intey nuskiilo baasto ah isla dhigto bey leedahay fitness iyo diet baan geli

eat less, move more and you wont suffer from baruur-epademic

MZanzi   

Diet is Overrated Haha, I'm not saying diet's not important, but I think it might be a bit overrated

Juxa   

^^ then why do you diet, let the fat man come out and enjoy life

accepting your genetic make up waa veery imboortaanti

MZanzi   

^^juxa to be honest with you i dont diet i just Eat what i want, but i make sure it fits in my overall schem of my diet! Everything can be eaten in moderation, and you don’t have to eat "clean" to lose fat.

Blessed   

^I'm with you. *note to self, this incldes eating chocolate in moderation* Nothing wrong with bariis and pasta on regular basis but I think we have a problem with balance and portion.