Sign in to follow this  
STOIC

Can Exercise Make You Smarter?

Elysian   

Taliban... wheelchair guy (Stephen Hawking)... still laughing hard :D:D:D

Anyways, the new finding regarding excercis facilitating neurogenesis, ie generation of new neurons, and stimulating brain plasticity even in adulthood (which was until recently not believed to occur) is really amazing.

But lets not forget the blueprint - our genes! Unfortunately they rule most of what shall become of us. You can probably get smart-er if you exercise, but regardless of how much effort you put into it, you’ll never be as smart as Stephen Hawking on a respirator... why because your genes said so. Tough life, but hey, who would want to swap with Stephen?

Taliban   

Originally posted by Elysian:

You can probably get
smart-er
if you exercise, but regardless of how much effort you put into it, you’ll never be
as smart as
Stephen Hawking on a respirator... why because your genes said so. Tough life, but hey, who would want to swap with Stephen?

Well, there's a price to pay for every great gift one is endowed with; that's why no human is perfect. However, what one lacks in an area, one compensates in another area. I have met geniuses who lack basic street-smart language and interpersonal skills. I have also met dropouts with great people and communications skills. I wouldn't want to swap myself with someone who's supposed to be great, because I know nothing is what it seems or assumed.

Elysian   

Well, there's a price to pay for every great gift one is endowed with; that's why no human is perfect. However, what one lacks in an area, one compensates in another area.

I don't agree, sure there are no "perfect" beings, but some are born better off than others.

Taliban   

some are born better off than others.

Cite a few examples (like known people) of some who are born better off than others.

Elysian   

Originally posted by Taliban:

Cite a few examples (like known people) of some who are born better off than others.

Why is it so difficult to accept that there are people that actually do got the brains, beauty, and charm... and then there are those less fortunate.

Simply there is nothing in nature dictating that a good skill must compensate for a bad one.

Taliban   

Why is it so difficult to accept that there are people that actually do got the brains, beauty, and charm... and then there are those less fortunate.

It's difficult to accept 'cause there are no examples to cite. No wonder, you failed to cite an example.

RedSea   

Excerise is good for your health and body.

As Taliban said the mind needs different excerise.

Just as your body needs excerise your mind needs reading as it is the excersise for the mind.

We can say they relate though since your body functions with your mind.

Taliban   

Originally posted by Legend of Zu:

Did you forget about Prophet Yusuf Alayhi Salaam?

Elaborate how prophet Yusuf (alayhi salaam) fits the example of someone who is born better off than others.

^^^^ Elaborate uu ku leeyahay...bal tanoo kale!...Go and Read Suuratul Yuusuf - come back and we will talk about it! - how is that for starters!

Cheers

Taliban   

Originally posted by Legend of Zu:

...Go and Read Suuratul Yuusuf - come back and we will talk about it! - how is that for starters!

It's OK to state you can't elaborate because you don't know.