Sign in to follow this  
lulla

Why are somali people afraid to interact with other peaple( black,whites,chinese,

LoooL. Ok I had to get that out of my system. Sowwy girl.

Anyway, don't you think you're generalizing sistah. Give us some examples. *Waiting for your response*

Blessed   

:confused:

I don't understand, since when did somalis start acting collectively? Perhabs, language barriers may make some seem 'afraid' of interacting with other races, others may be prejudice, some may not even get a chance to interact with with others.

But does it matter, if some people don't like otehr nations or are afraid of them it is there problem individual problem sis, being Somali has nothing to do with this!

Samafal   

HAHA ONOTHER OF YOUR WYS!!! I DONT KNOW HOW MANY OF THESE YOU WILL KEEP FLOODING GIRL BUT IT IS NICE YOU KEEP THIS WEBSITE ALIVE AND I THINK THE ADMIN AND THE NOMADS SHOULD THANK YOU.

COMING BACK TO YOUR Q. I REALLY DONT KNOW MYSELF BUT I THINK RELIGIOUS AND CULTURAL BACKGROUND IS GOT SOMETHING TO DO. BUT HEEY WHO CARES ABOUT INTEGRATING IF IT MEANS ABANDONING OUR RELIGION AND CULTURE FOR THEIRS.

IN THE OTHER HAND IT IS NOT ONLY SOMALIS WHO HAVE THIS PROBLEM, HERE IN THE UK FEW MONTHS AGO THE GOVERMENT WAS COMPLAINING ABOU THE LACK OF INTEGRATION OF THE PEOPLE OF ASIAN SUB CONTINENT BEING PEOPLE FROM PAKISTAN AND INDIAN ORIGINS WHO HAVE BEEN HERE UP TO FORTY YEARS.

THAT IS ALL I GOT SAY

THANKS

lulla   

Tamina: ;) sis what is so funny?i don't get it. okay i don't mean all the somalis but some of them don;t like interacting with other people. i even noticed we have problem interacting with each other. is that some of us lock of social skills or what?

YACQUUB: smile.gif thanxs and don;t worry i don't run out of QS but iam afriad that ya might run of answers..jk..lol :D:D:D:D

Ariadne   

"black white or chinese" um sis dont you mean asian granted chinese do make up a big population of indho yaar but not all asians are chinese.... ;)

La-y-La   

it is kinda true that somalis tend to interact only with their kind, but that don't mean they are afraid of other people. it just means they are comfortable around their own.

take me 4 example. At school, I only interact only with somalis, thats 1 of ma rules, cuz thats how it is in ma school. u go wit ur kind and if any1 somali hangs with other than somalis, we just call them "wannabes"

it is funny how some kids are so ashamed of their own people, that they would even make fun of some1 somali who don't know the language just cuz their "american" friends are doing. not realizing those u r making fun of is ur own kind.

all i gots to say is that i think it is better we stay connected throughout. it is all good if we interact wit others, to get a better understanding of the world around us.

i talk too much, i gotta go now. peace.

The simple answer is we dont like change , and if we accept others into our community it is a change. After all, we have been thru a lot over past 13years, and we are coming out of our shell slowly.

hope that answered your Question.

xoxox

Abdinuur   

I don't think there's nothing wrong with interacting people of different background. They are human beings and we ought give them a chance to interact with them and get to know their culture. This would be a great experience and gives one a different perspective towards society. It can also be a learning experience so that one can get along with others and build his/her interpersonal skills.

Much respect. smile.gif

Ahlaan   

Asalaamu Caleykum Waraxmatullaahi Wabarakaatuh!!!

Interacting with others is a big step away from one's so called 'comfort zone' and that takes alot for a person to do that. It really has nothing to do with Somalis, but we ARE Somalis here and therefore it's necessary to make the broad topic a bit narrow to understand. Anyhow, I would suggest that many do it, because I know I have. I've grown more appreciative of my culture and most importantly of my religion. You see, u become more aware of what u have and don't have and u'll understand how IGNORANT u can easily be. And man u'll realize how much HUMANS have in common regardless of culture/religion/and place of living. We cry the same way, we love the same way, and our wants in life are most similar than different.

Oh well that's my 2 cents.

PEACE!!!

ARAWEELO   

I personally think that it is ok to become friends if you are confortable with other nationalities and get to know their culture, but having a relationship or marrying them is a bit too complicated because their family values and upbringing is way too different than how we have been raised.

Religion & culture play a major role. I know few Somali women who got married to muslim Americans who struggle fitting in with their culture.

My co-workers & I go out to eat sometimes or go to a meeting together it is amazing cause all they talk about is their dogs, cats, birds and fish like the way we talk about our families or children.

I have been here for more than a decade I still don't have American friends other than my coworkers, and that is how it is going to be. :(

u are at it again i see lulla, and u know me i couldn't pass the opportunity to put in my 1 1/2 cents on this topic.

To me, i don't think that somali interact with those other kind of racial groups because for example asians in general have full enriched cultures where as to somali i don't think we have a culture of our own, i mean yeah we have tribes stuff and look where that got our people. So i guess it is hard to associate with others cultural backgrounds when one doesn't have one of his/her own. I also think that somali are so critical of everything like all life is black and white and no grayish areas, therefore it is hard for them to broaden their horizon and embrace other cultures and races. It doesn't always mean that one must accept others cultures but to ecknowledge that they are there and respect those ppl for their difference than us rather than critisim them for it.

well i think i went off the road here a bit, but i hope that u get my point lulla. cann't wait to hear another one of your WHYS'S???????. bye

Personally I'm afriad of interacting with Somalis (no kiddin!). I think it has 2 to do with me living 2hrs from the nearest Somali for the past 10yrs :(

You people gimme the creeps! icon_razz.gif

X.Playa   

What a non sense topic,

Lulla i don't know in what fox hole you live .Not a day passe that i don't see a somali women holding hands with, Asians, 90% slaves, Europeans, Arabs and you name it.

So i think as far as your sex is concerned you are well integrated into the rest of humanity, from UK to Canada somali women have gotten childern even with the rarly seen elusive Eskimos from the northern pole.

So what else you need???????? apes, gogs and cats as mate??

lol@X.Playa...damn! I didnt know you had a sense of humour too :D:D

I liked the eskimos part...only 'cause I can relate to it somehow. I blv I have either eskimo or chinese ancestors....cant look like this & still be 100% Somali ;)

---------------

That was not funny! :rolleyes: