Sign in to follow this  
Sweet_Muna

Judging a book by its cover?!

hi,

Lately, the issue of how a person dresses have become so important that a Somali person (whether a man or a woman)is being judged by the way he/she dresses. For Somali women, if you were a big hijab, you are automatically a good, religious person. On the other hand, if one wears jeans then she is considered wild.

This is widely seen in places that have a big Somali community.

Once when i was in Ohio, a person asked me if I pray just because I was wearing a pair of jeans. You see what i mean!! any way tell how you usually dress, and how does others stereotype you by the way you choose to dress. :confused:

yeah its true we somalis intend to stereotype ppl from the appearance but hey could you blame them , am not sayin everygirl wearing hijab is good and girls wearing jeans are bad ... but majority rules ... and it all comes down if you really care about the community you live in and if you don't .... damn i feel so bad i just posted this and i am on my way to meet ma boo wearing jeans :confused:

shyhem   

I'm not a pessimistic but certainly i'm not optmistic about a girl wearing tight gap jeans and DKNY t-shirt been decent or religious.ASk u'rself why am i wearing this jeans not a skirt or something a decent woman like mothers wears.Do u honestly believe that hip hugging Hilfigure jeans are appropriate for friday prayers.

U will definately attract the attention of the boys and the players wannabees, but trust me that jean ain't the best way to attract a potential decent husband.

I'm even surprised u still have no clue why that person asked u if u pray.Charity begins at home.

The word "hijab" is used in the Holy Quran in its linguistic original sense, i.e., a barrier, something to separate two things from one another. The Prophet's wives were ordered by God to observe hijab, meaning not to face all mature males who are entitled to marry them. They had to speak to such males from behind a curtain or a door so nobody would see them.

In our times, the word is usually used to indicate the dress of a woman in accordance with the Islamic requirements. What is definite for man and woman is that neither gender should dress or act in a way that is intended to attract the attention of the opposite sex. By instinct, males are more attracted to females' bodies than vice versa. Accordingly, Islam ordained that women should not show of their bodies what would particularly attract the attention of males. Besides, they should not show of their adornment other than that conventionally shown by women in an Islamic society.

As for the degree of sin, it depends upon the degree of violating these rules and the intention of the female who violates them. There are no fast rules determining the details of how to dress and cover other than to be modest and not show off.

Sister, I suggest you take these points clearly into your head and learn the protocols of good dress sense!!

N.O.R.F   

From a personal point of view, i have more respect for hijab wearing sisters, thats just me.

I think its easier for men, they can wear pretty much anything ie khamees'/traditional clothes or jeans and sweater, it doesnt matter.

Abdinuur   

I don't really care if other people stereotype me or judge me cuzz it doesn't really matter to me or bother me...I'm totally careless of what others think of me. They're the ones who are wasting their time and putting their mouths on things they don't know anything about.

But you gotta remember of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important. smile.gif

zynab   

i know what you mean sister. but i wanna know what our religion says about wearing pants in general. i am refering to women ,you men can keep on wear your macawiis.

lol zynb,

i know what our religion says about dressing in modesty and not tryin to look like men, but personally, there is somedays in the winter when i would even think of wearing a skirt. 'cause it's too cold out there.

Hey guys, i like all of your opinions. keep it up!

lol zynb,

i know what our religion says about dressing in modesty and not tryin to look like men, but personally, there is somedays in the winter when i would even think of wearing a skirt. 'cause it's too cold out there.

Hey guys, i like all of your opinions. keep it up!

The things that come out of some mens' mouth....

to the guy who said "ASk u'rself why am i wearing this jeans not a skirt or something a decent woman like mothers wears" ....*lol* who would honestly dress like thrir parents? C'mon now...even back in the 70s, whether you want to admit it or not, your parents probably had afros and tighter jeans than our current "hillfiger"...also, would you date someone who dressed as if she was 60 years old? hell no bro!

Sweet Mona,

Hon, you have to accept one thing...Somalis are judgemental by nature! Your deen is between You and Allah and noone else. If you are convinced that wearing a pair of jeans does not reflect who you truly are...then do what you must do! Trust me, you can never please a Somalis! N.E.V.E.R. So put yourself first!

that's my 10 cents!

Iffah   

Originally posted by Sweet_Muna:

For Somali women, if you were a big hijab, you are automatically a good, religious person. On the other hand, if one wears jeans then she is considered wild.

That's not all true. There are some people who assume that a sister who covers is uneducated, reer baadiyo, maskiin (because she's being forced to cover)...the list goes on. And sadly enough, these are Somali muslims who think this way. And they think those that uncover are the reer magaal, the strong women, oo ilbaxay. What Opinionated is right when she says you can never please Somalis....you'll always be judged no matter how you dress. Ilaahay talo saaro abaayo...aim to please the Almighty not mere human beings.

sMiLeY   

hello...... let me disagree with you. if u wear jeans it doesn't make you look wild.....what makes you look wild is mini skirts and stomach showing .......piercing everywhere......the way u dress up shows your personality ......there is no way on earth that a guy who is wearing baggy pants and has earings and braids would get my attention...... that's juss life we judge according to what we see.

zynab   

muna sis what do you mean modestry. like suit pants are better then jeans right. but that is sill wearing pants . actually most girls i know would never wear pants cause of their parents but i do. not cause i wanna be different it's just that pants allows you to walk faster and move freely . and like you said shit when it is winter you have to reer badiyo to wear skirt.Hyperaemia dosn't look that attractive.

missy_1   

must totally agree wit opinionated, couldnt have said it any different. personally i believe in wt is in ur 'niyaed',wearin a jeans doesnt make u a bad person, or totally reflect on ur relationship wit allah. smile.gif