Sign in to follow this  
Jamilah

Change, for better or worse

Jamilah, conguratulations abaayo, I am very happy for you as you embark on the latest adventure that life has thrown your way.

I hope you find joy and kindness in all that is to come. For all the hardwork, remeber to enjoy yourself and take all wildest opportunities that pop-up ;) . Also a little cheat, doing things for the passion makes the hardwork easier, at leasr you can always lie to yourself and say you enjoy 18hr in the lab.

Rahima   

Jamilah,

Congratulations and bravo ;) . I saw your sister the other night and she told me of the good news. Way to go with the science also- remember that it’s the best path to get to your ultimate goal.

Despite graduating with an engineering degree(it was a good kind of hell) and being articulate enough to sail through interviews, I have struggled to achieve what my peers have.

U have to work extra hard if u're a minority, if u're female and Muslim(sporting the obligatory hijab) u're f*cked. If the Lord made u black too, prepare for a fight.

Exactly know how you feel. During my later years of high school I was convinced I was going to do Engineering (specifically Civil). I’d taken all the right subjects (almost every type of Math offered) and made sure that I got the mark to get into an engineering degree at the best university in Melbourne. I then went to the open day and boy was I in for a shock, the ratio as they told us was for every 1 female student, there were 400 male. I was shocked somewhat, but still being the hardheaded Xalima I am I was still determined especially after being coerced by a scholarship (they were hungry for female engineers). Time went by and I spoke to people at every chance about this option, but time after time I was facing the same points, I was the minority of minorities (if that exists). I was female, black and a visible Muslim (a hijabi). For a field which is dominated by white males, the chance of me finding a job was almost nil. I thought long and hard (because I had my heart set on it) and fortunately decided against it.

That said, you’d think I’d make the right choice after that, but I didn’t. I listened to my chemistry teacher (who obviously was biased- but I was young, naive and extremely impressionable, I looked up to him) and pursued medical science. Big Big mistake. I hated it (very passionate I know, but I did hate it) and really the employment opportunities in Australia are very low. Two years of that and I decided I couldn’t take it, switched programs and put the med science on the backburner on a part-time basis (I wasn’t going to waste it especially with only a year to go). My new program that I’ve just completed was interesting, applicable and has a high employment rate. Furthermore, it was a perfect pathway to get into medicine, which I decided was the way to go after trashing the views of the reer badiyo folks who insist that medicine is too long and when will you get married, have kids :rolleyes: (and I was 19). Even if I don’t get into med, at least it is a perfect program to set me up for a masters in public health. I now am in a position where I am half-way to where I want to be. I start full-time work in January, doing my honours inshallah and got a good enough GPA to set me up for my further goals. Similarly, if I wanted to get married and have a child (no litters), I feel that in the next year or two I could.

The reason I write all this Jamilah , is to highlight how important good advice is (like that of Castros). Had I had good advice, I could of have been in this position two years ago smile.gif . The Somalis in Australia are not as educationally/economically developed as their brethren in the UK, USA and Canada, therefore finding advice which was Islamically and culturally appropriate was extremely hard. Finding sisters for example who have gone through the experiences which were at my feet was almost impossible, I mean I was the only Somali sister at my university at that time. I don’t regret any of my choices for I believe it has equipped me that little more for the worst, but had I known better I wouldn’t of have wasted getting my heart set on engineering and I would never of have contemplated medical science. Of course choices are different for all, but that would be for me.

You will inshallah be in my ducas ;) .

Originally posted by Castro:

^ You're an engineer? Wow. Finding suitable employment is a function of many things, not the least of which is good fortune (luck). Having met the standard criteria of education and training, one needs a positive attitude, a good network and luck. Being at the right place or knowing the right people makes all the difference. To reduce the effect of chance, it's a good idea to do internships while still in school. If that's not feasible now, it's important to realize two things: first, one is never too old to go back to school and learn a new "trade". Second, accepting a lower-than-anticipated position will get your foot in the door. With hard work and perseverence, one should get what they deserve.

One SHOULD. But one doesn't necessarily. I am an engineer theoretically. Never pursued it- much to my father's consternation. Today he advised me to get the eff out of England- I paraphrase. I don't need much encouraging frankly, I have given it 6 more months here and then I'll be gone. U're right, one is never too old. Certainly not if they're me. LoL. I've accepted the lower than deserved sh*t too, been there, done that, fed up and moving on, quite literally if something dramatic doesn't happen in 3 months. Now all I have to decide is where. Any ideas, folks? smile.gif

-KIWI   

Congradulations Jamilah. Oh you have come along way. Only at 17 you have accomplished so much. One can only wonder what you will accomplish at 21.

Congradulations once again on your superb mark. You have amazed me with your dazzling wits and intelligence. By far you are the most intelligent person I have meet. :D

Keep up with your writting always knew you were something special. Middle child are indeed remarkable. ;);)

You are an inspiration to your younger siblings remember that. :D