Sign in to follow this  
Jamilah

Change, for better or worse

Jamilah   

Change is something that I always approach with conflicting emotions. It has the lure of the unknown and is somehow able to evoke the most inner deep fears lurking within one’s heart. WOW, didn’t mean to sound so philosophical nothing specifically dramatic has occurred in my life but finishing high school feels like I am embarking on a journey which is like no other. It’s as if a chapter of life has finished and another is commencing. Yes, I know this sounds too sentimental, but can you blame me? I have had the same routine of schooling since the tender age of five abruptly terminated. My sense of direction has suddenly been clouded and I found myself engulfed by a smothering mist.

I guess now my mini goals have to expand into life long ambitions. And it is this thought above all that frightens me considering it often propels me into contemplating my looming demise.

My only source of comfort admist all this confusion is knowing that (or hoping that) there will be great times as a result of such changes.

Castro   

Congratulations Jamilah on achieving this critical milestone. Those who embrace and use change are those who are most successful. Go to university, if you haven't decided to go yet. A 4 year university degree is a must nowadays. Get a degree (preferably one in Science or Engineering). Maintain good grades. Get into the co-op or internship program. Use the salary you get from this program to pay for school. Avoid getting much debt to pay for university. Also, delay marriage at least 4 years (while in college). Take that degree and get a good job. Spend a few years saving up for a house. This is ideally done while still living at home.

Knowing and planning for the above can reduce the anxiety of the coming changes. The formula above is what I have in mind for my own kids. It's a pretty good formula too. Don't worry about what to study in college. Just look up any job trends survey online and see which occupations will be in highest demand 5-10 years from now. Remember, the easier the program you study, the less demand there will be for those graduates. Everyone wants an easy ride in university. My philosophy is you could breeze through 4 years and stumble through life or you could suffer through 4 years and breeze through life. Your choice. Delay gratification as much as you can. It'll be tough but the rewards are great. Remember at all times God's goodness and all that he's blessed you with.

Good luck.

STOIC   

^^^Words spoken in good season......what a man can not clearly state he sure does not know.Good advice CAAAstro.... :D

Castro   

^ It's a simple formula but one that is difficult to implement in our culture atheer. The Asians have perfected it. It's as if they all know it and work in sync to achieve it. For us, there are family obligations, monetary obstacles and lack of role models to contend with. Going forward, however, Jamilah and her graduating class should find it easier to learn from, and avoid, the mistakes done by our generation. One can only hope, really.

freedom at last eeh Jamilah! now life really starts.

what castro said is good advice. i wish someone told me those things when i got out of high school. more then anything else watch and care for your finances by avoiding debt and work on building your credit.

Damn those Asian!

STOIC   

Castro, there is far too much that is unsatisfactory in that it is crying for energetic and wise advice like your's.We may be acdemically sterile at the moment but time will come when we will be able to claim a piece of the American dreams. Take an example the American Jewry(i know many hate this comparison but heck emulate them for the sake of analogy), they did not climb the ladder from the top.There are strong beleive that whispers to me that one day we will overcome these major impediments.

Urban   

Originally posted by Jamilah:

I have had the same routine of schooling since the tender age of five abruptly terminated.

dont worry sis, i know exactly what it feels like. when i finished high school, all my friends were celebrating like crazy, burning their uniforms and swearing at the deputy head..etc etc but i was secretly upset, i spent some of the best times of my life during high school, when it finished i was so scared of moving on but i always had a goal that kept me going. i went to college to get the qualification needed to get into uni, that was like a total new start to me, but i quickly made new friends, and when my 2years in college were over, i had the same feeling again, those 2 years seemed like 2months to me. some people might laugh at this but if i had the chance, i'd repeat the last 7 years all over again. i still have my high school uniform neatly hanged in my wardrobe.

uni now is another change which i was so frightened of, mainly because i had to move to another city, on my own. i didnt have the best start a skint student could wish for, but things are shaping up now. im still scared but i know that at the end, inshallah i will have that piece of paper that has my name on it, followed with a B.A Hons.

thing is, you can't go through change on your own, without my friends, i think i woulda had a nervous breakdown. if you have a particular goal in life, decisions will be much easier.

Maf Kees   

^ I hope so. Somalis are culturally and mentally comparable to South Asians, Arabs and even Jews. So I'm sure Somali communities will develop over time.

Castro, I wish someone would have given me that advice before I entered into my studentlife. But why are degrees in Science and Engineering preferable? More preferable than say a degree in Business Administration? This is not an attack by the way, since I'm personally contemplating on pursuing a Masters in Engineering instead of an MBA after obtaining my BBA.

Jamilah, this feeling of change will be multiplied by 100 when you start your professional career. 100 times more scary but fun and exciting.

Castro   

Originally posted by Daanyeer:

But why are degrees in Science and Engineering preferable? More preferable than say a degree in Business Administration?

They aren't. It all boils down to which industry is facing labor shortages due to retirement or difficulty in finding suitably skilled workers. Any degree (other than strictly Arts programs) could fit that criteria.

If you look at the Occupational Outlook Handbook from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, it gives you an idea where an industry is headed. This should only be used as a guide, however. Obviously, if one excels in and has great aptitude in writing, the dramatic shortage of nurses in the next decade is of no use to them. But if one is already leaning towards the medical health industry, it could guide them into finding the right specialty to be assured of gainful employment upon graduation.

It's a matter of planning for the future, really.

I don't meant to be a party-pooper but u're looking at a difficult-degree holding, patient sun of a gun here. All the hard work has not worked to my staisfaction(though I may have high standards). Despite graduating with an engineering degree(it was a good kind of hell) and being articulate enough to sail through interviews, I have struggled to achieve what my peers have.

U have to work extra hard if u're a minority, if u're female and Muslim(sporting the obligatory hijab) u're f*cked. If the Lord made u black too, prepare for a fight.

U can't plan for prejudice.

Never give up. Sweeter than seeing yourself win is seeing others not win :D

Castro   

^ You're an engineer? Wow. Finding suitable employment is a function of many things, not the least of which is good fortune (luck). Having met the standard criteria of education and training, one needs a positive attitude, a good network and luck. Being at the right place or knowing the right people makes all the difference. To reduce the effect of chance, it's a good idea to do internships while still in school. If that's not feasible now, it's important to realize two things: first, one is never too old to go back to school and learn a new "trade". Second, accepting a lower-than-anticipated position will get your foot in the door. With hard work and perseverence, one should get what they deserve.

Jamilah Welcome to the club

guess now my mini goals have to expand into life long ambitions. And it is this thought above all that frightens me considering it often propels me into contemplating my looming demise.

My only source of comfort admist all this confusion is knowing that (or hoping that) there will be great times as a result of such changes.

Expect the best and prepare for the worst, you are at turning point, you either make it or break, but what you can't do is not face the truth If you try and avoid then that will certainly bring demise. Absolutely the will be great times with full of challenges, downfalls and at times dissappointments. The shortcut rather easier way to get there is through Patience and perceverance bridge!

GoodLuck

Jamilah Welcome to the club

guess now my mini goals have to expand into life long ambitions. And it is this thought above all that frightens me considering it often propels me into contemplating my looming demise.

Expect the best and prepare for the worst, you are at turning point, you either make it or break, but what you can't do is not face the truth If you try and avoid then that will certainly bring demise. Absolutely the will be great times with full of challenges, downfalls and at times dissappointments. The shortcut rather easier way to get there is through Patience and perceverance bridge!

GoodLuck

Jamilah   

Thanks everyone, it's good to know I am not the only one who is or did go through this stage. It's comforting to know that both xamar87weyne and Tukaale lived to tell their tale.

Thanks Castro for your advice I have applied to university for a science degree I did at one point considered engineering then quickly came back to my senses.

I think I should be more like sheherazade and learn to embrace change and for once consider things from a more postive perspective. That's kind of hard to do considering Danyeer's insistence things will only get worse once I start working within a particular field.

Haniif, freedom indeed.

Salaam