Sign in to follow this  
sYric-STiPHuLLa

Brian nichols ATL killer Kidnaps somali girl

Buckhead couple had chilling encounter with Nichols

By SAEED AHMED

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 03/31/05

Shelton Warren found it odd that his girlfriend of several years was knocking at their apartment door instead of just letting herself in.

He soon found out why.

Standing in the doorway, holding a gun to his girlfriend's side, was the man whose face had flashed on Warren's television screen moments earlier: Brian Nichols.

"He said, 'Don't try anything,' " Warren's girlfriend calmly said.

But Warren did.

The violent encounter that followed left Warren with a concussion and too shaken to talk about the incident until now.

Fighting back, Warren believes, may have saved him and his girlfriend from becoming two more victims of what police say was a murderous rampage that had claimed three lives before Nichols appeared at their doorway. Before the night was over, a fourth person would die.

Of all the people who were directly exposed to Nichols during the March 11 shooting spree — the attorneys at the Fulton County Courthouse, the carjack victims and the woman credited with his eventual capture — Warren and his girlfriend have been the most reluctant to talk about their brush with him.

Warren, 27, is still feeling the aftereffects of the concussion he received in his fight with the intruder: dizziness, occasional memory loss, disorientation.

Only last week did he return to his job as a customer service representative for a computer company.

His girlfriend, Iman Adan, 23, startles easily and is afraid to leave their apartment alone. She can't bring herself to talk about that night.

Neither would agree to be photographed for this story, saying they don't want to be in the public eye. Warren and his attorney appeared briefly on a CNN morning show March 19, but since then Warren has kept a low profile.

"We just want to be left alone," he said.

Warren agreed to speak to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution to counter the Atlanta Police Department's contention that neither he nor Adan positively identified Nichols as their attacker when they were shown a photo of him that night.

"I told them a couple of times this was their man," Warren said. "I told them he's still out there. I guess it was kind of hard for them to believe it."

The police say they thoroughly searched in and around the sprawling apartment complex on Lenox Road in Buckhead and stand by their report that said the couple couldn't confirm that the attacker was Nichols.

Stranger at the door

The encounter occurred shortly after 10 p.m. — more than 12 hours into the manhunt for Nichols, a defendant in a rape trial who authorities said overpowered a sheriff's deputy at the Fulton County Courthouse and went on a shooting spree, killing a judge, a court reporter and another deputy in a matter of minutes.

Warren was in his apartment at the Summit at Lenox, watching TV, transfixed along with the rest of metro Atlanta by developing news of the massive search for the gunman. The reports said police believed Nichols was on the run in a green Honda Accord.

"I was thinking, he's probably right in the [metro] area, he's sticking close to places he knows," Warren said. "But there was no way he was still in that Honda."

Then came the knock at the door.

"It's me," his girlfriend said.

Warren peered through the peephole and saw Adan standing there, next to someone else.

Still unsure of what was going on, Warren opened the door.

"Who are you?" Warren asked the stranger.

"He said, 'Don't try anything,' " Adan replied.

That's when Warren noticed a black handgun pressed against Adan's side.

"I looked back up at him and I realized who he was," he said.

Woman followed

Minutes earlier, Adan had left the fitness center inside the apartment complex. As she walked the three blocks home, she noticed she was being followed by a tall man in a gray jogging suit. It was a Friday night and there were plenty of people outside, so she didn't think much of it.

She punched in the door code to her building and entered. The man stuck his right foot in to catch the door from closing.

By the time Adan reached the stairs, he had caught up to her.

"Do you know who I am?" she recalled him asking. "I'm Brian Nichols, the one everyone's looking for."

Adan tried not to let her fear show. Trying to run seemed foolish.

He asked if she lived with anyone else. Yes, she said, with another roommate. A girlfriend.

Adan believed that if she told Nichols about her boyfriend waiting in the apartment, he would take her someplace else.

They climbed the three flights of stairs in silence.

Adan knocked.

A hallway fight

If Nichols was surprised to see a man answer the door, his eyes didn't show it, Warren said. He looked calm and expressionless.

"He wants to come in," Adan told her boyfriend.

Warren then did something he still can't explain.

As the two stepped through the doorway, Warren pushed his girlfriend into the apartment and shoved the man as hard as he could, sending him staggering from the door. The action propelled Warren into the hall.

"The only thing on my mind was, don't let this person in your house,' " he said. "I had no other thought, no other feeling."

The gunman steadied himself and rushed toward the door.

"Lock the door," Warren cried.

He heard the lock click at the same time he felt the butt of the handgun hit his forehead.

The two men struggled in the narrow hallway — both former athletes, similarly built.

The confrontation lasted no more than a few seconds, Warren recalled.

His attacker struck him on the head again.

Don't let this person point his gun at me. Don't let him shoot me, Warren kept thinking.

He didn't. He glared, then turned and ran.

Warren reached for the door.

"Keep it locked," he cried to a hysterical Adan. His face bloody from the pistol-whipping, Warren chased after the gunman. But he was gone.

Warren borrowed a neighbor's cellphone and called police. I've just been attacked by the guy you're looking for, he said.

It was 10:18 p.m.

The first officers arrived four minutes later, followed soon after by hordes of law enforcement agents from the Atlanta Police Department, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the FBI, the U.S. marshals.

But when police showed Warren and Adan a picture of Nichols, both "believed it was the suspect but could not confirm it," Atlanta police Officer W.T. Crossen wrote in his report.

Warren disputes that. He said he told police the man was Nichols.

"I told them that me and this person just got into it," Warren said. He said he urged them to pursue the man, saying, "He's got to be still out here. Go through these buildings, search the area."

Another neighbor, Maria Bess, who saw a stranger holding a gun to Adan and also called 911, said she identified the man as Nichols as well.

"I didn't know who Nichols was at the time. I hadn't been watching TV," said Bess, 20. "But when they showed me his picture, I told them that was him."

Atlanta police spokesman Sgt. John Quigley said officers "thoroughly investigated" the area for more than three hours — until 1:42 a.m. Authorities detained two people, including one in a green Honda, and took them to the couple for identification, Quigley said.

"We couldn't find Nichols in the area, and therefore we didn't know, based on what they said, whether there had been a definite sighting," the police spokesman said.

Quigley could not clear up the discrepancy between the witness accounts and Crossen's report. "The investigation is ongoing, but the report stands as it is, at this point," he said.

The next morning, the body of federal customs agent David Wilhelm, 40, was found in a house he was building on Canter Road — just a block away from the apartment where Warren and Adan live. Police believe Nichols shot him to death.

"The next day, with the serious nature of the call very close by, it made it seem more obvious that maybe the two incidents were connected," Quigley said.

Police say Nichols took Wilhelm's truck and drove it to Gwinnett County to the apartment of Ashley Smith, accosting her about 2 a.m. Saturday the same way Adan was approached.

Nichols surprised Smith outside her apartment and, holding her at gunpoint, forced his way in and held her captive until about 9:30 a.m., when he allowed her to leave, authorities say.

Then, just before noon, as heavily armed officers surrounded the Duluth apartment complex in response to Smith's 911 call, Nichols waved a white T-shirt and peacefully surrendered.

'I'm thankful I lived'

Warren has returned to work but is still feeling weak and is nursing a sprained right hand.

Because he doesn't have medical insurance, he is hoping for help from the county or the state's victim assistance program, said his lawyer, Nikki Bonner.

"I'm not stressing over any of that, though," Warren said. "I'm just grateful to be alive, you know. I'm thankful I lived to see another day."

underdog   

his girlfriend of several years was knocking at
their
apartment door

Ain't that some sh*t?

ilbaxniimo. That fact that she's illegitimatly shacked up with some guy for years is more interesting than the hostage drama.

I wonder how common that is?

STOIC   

How did you guys came up to the conclusion that she is Somali girl?. I live in the city and haven't heard about any somali girl involved in the kidnaping!.Can someone verify the information for us!.

underdog   

Originally posted by STOIC:

How did you guys came up to the conclusion that she is Somali girl?. I live in the city and haven't heard about any somali girl involved in the kidnaping!.Can someone verify the information for us!.

Speculation, on my part I'm going with the name of this topic plus, Adan is rare name in any other culture...maybe she Bosnian or something....

Still she's illegitimately shacked up with a guy.

the encounter probably did occur and there was a police report filed on it look here.

but what i dont understand is, why would the boy-friend open the door and get into a fight with the killer? i would probably be mad at the girl friend for bringing him into my place though. shit, bringing a killer to my apartment like that? i would be pissed icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

LANDER   

"Keep it locked," he cried to a hysterical Adan. His face bloody from the pistol-whipping, Warren chased after the gunman. But he was gone.

I have a hard time believing this part. Its understandable to put your life on the line for someone you care for, but to chase after a man carrying a gun while your empty handed? don't know bout that.

Originally posted by LANDER:

quote: "Keep it locked," he cried to a hysterical Adan. His face bloody from the pistol-whipping, Warren chased after the gunman. But he was gone.

I have a hard time believing this part. Its understandable to put your life on the line for someone you care for, but to chase after a man carrying a gun while your empty handed? don't know bout that.
or why couldn't he call 911 and tell them where the suspect was (and collect the reward $)? i guess he couldn't imagine leaving his beautiful somali girl-friend with that menacing killer. god knows what he would have done to her. ;);)

Jamilah   

Underdog.........LOL

That fact that she's illegitimatly shacked up with some guy for years is more interesting than the hostage drama.

I wonder how common that is?

That's exactly what I was thinking. I guess I wounld not have had enough courage to be so blunt. In regards to how common it is, here in Australia from stories we get the impression everything and anything happens among the Somali community in America.

The fact that the girl and her man are save and sound@their home is irrelevant. All you somali pple talk about is other pple's business?

Many times, I've asked you pple why is it that you make other pple's lives your business? are you her mother, dad, sister, brother, aunt, uncle? WHAT BUSINESS DO YOU HAVE WHETHER OR NOT SHE LIVES WITH HER MAN?

POSTER, I rEALLY HAVE TO ASK THE RELEVANCE OF YOU POSTING THIS ARTICLE? What were your intentions? WHO CARES IF SHE IS SOMALI OR NOT...YOU PPLE NEED TO START WORRYING ABOUT YOUR LIVES, AND LESS WORRY OF STRANGER'S LIVES. LEARN THAT, AND Y'ALL JUST MIGHT LIVE IN PIECE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIVES.

underdog   

Originally posted by LayZieGirl:

Many times, I've asked you pple why is it that you make other pple's lives your business? are you her mother, dad, sister, brother, aunt, uncle? WHAT BUSINESS DO YOU HAVE WHETHER OR NOT SHE LIVES WITH HER MAN?

...YOU PPLE NEED TO START WORRYING ABOUT YOUR LIVES, AND LESS WORRY OF STRANGER'S LIVES. LEARN THAT, AND Y'ALL JUST MIGHT LIVE IN PIECE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIVES.

LayZieGirl,

maybe you missed the concept of "NEWS" : it is the telling of peoples lives. What I think you may have a problem with is how we interpret the information. Example: you took the news of my comment and felt it necessary to "call a spade a spade" and voice your disaproval of my actions.

Yet another example: I read the news of a somali girl who is (as you put it) "living with her man" and I felt the need voice my disapproval of that.

So you and I have both meddled in other peoples lives. I pointed out what I think is wrong...and you did the same.

But the reason I said something is because I choose to speak out about what I think is wrong. If I see you on the street kissing another girl, as much as its none of my business, I'll tell you what I think.

Do what you do with your life but people will always discuss success, failure, right and wrong you have no control over that. Your not accountable to anyone but God, so don't worry about what we have to say.

Jamilah   

You know what LayZieGirl I shall and will always express my disapproval towards anything and anyone. The mere fact she was involved in this whole little drama doesn't affect that.

All you somali pple talk about is other pple's business?

This has nothing to do with Somali people as our prophet PBUH encouraged us to display our disapproval towards anything that our Religion frowns upon, if not through action through words. I am ultilizing this holy recommendation and ain't nobody is going to stop me.

Senora   

Originally posted by LANDER:

quote: "Keep it locked," he cried to a hysterical Adan. His face bloody from the pistol-whipping, Warren chased after the gunman. But he was gone.

Well when you think about the $ 60,000 reward, its sounds a bit more believable....

By the time Adan reached the stairs, he had caught up to her.

"Do you know who I am?" she recalled him asking. "I'm Brian Nichols, the one everyone's looking for."

LMAO, uhm, i dont know about this one.

U-Dog

First of all, I don't want you to get the impression that I am worried about a bunch of pple who don't know how to utilize their time effectively, other than know how to judge an individual based on what they read or hear about others.

If you think I am meddling in other pple's business, then by all means, I want you to experience how it feels when you yourself meddle in other pple's business.(it takes a real meddler to know another)

Bottom line is, there is an effective way for voicing opinions on issues that matter, but voicing your opinion on other pple's business isnt one of them. Yes, you do have the right for speech, but speech is used for only when its effective, so you can be heard, and when you are critizing total strangers, no one is hearing you except your own voice. Try to form a constructive critism, but talking about what's right and wrong in other pple's business is the least bit constructive. By all means, continue to voice your opinion in thin air, but I wanted to know what drove pple like you to have a nerve to talk about others, and yet not look themselves in the mirror.(U haven't given me a definite answer, u just by-passed the question) Are you god? are you a saint, do you not have anything that you regret doing, have u ever made a wrong decision in your life? again...when you judge pple, you have to first judge yourself based on those questions above, and when u think there isnt anything left judging of yourself, then by all means u will have a right to judge whomever you want, until then, save your energy for the better things in life, rather than nagging about things that are the least bit important to you.

As for this other person Desire goes....

This has nothing to do with Somali people as our prophet encouraged us to display our disapproval towards anything that our Religion frowns upon, if not through action through words.

Did the prophet also say that women ought to be stoned to death because they had pre-marital sex, yet the man can stand there and watch while the woman is beat to death?

I am ultilizing this holy recommendation and ain't nobody is going to stop me.

For a second there, u seemed ready to attack with rocks and just utilize it the same way the afghan men utilized it by beating pple with rocks, as if the prophet himself would ever approve of such distasteful behaviour in the name of whaT? prophet? Illah kacabso and do yourself a favor, rest assured, no one will hear u, so go on ahead, and utilize whatever it is you think you can do with words.