Sign in to follow this  
Baluug

The Biggest Loser:SOL Edition

NGONGE   

^ And it begins...juvenile replies that will litter the thread and bleed it of any meaning.

Seriously a picture of a strange fat kid...in a sincere weight-loss thread?

Come on now, be fair. It did not begin with me. Most of the thread had no meaning anyway.

Miriam1   

There is absolutely no point arguing with you is there?

I suppose if you declare it meaningless, it must be right! LOL

Honestly, I found meaning in it, others did too, everyone comes here often at least once a week, why not add bit more to it? .

But I guess all those posts might just be "only words on a screen" for you.

Ibtisam   

Ngonge: WHy don't you consider joining them. icon_razz.gif

Okay so I'm going to join this race to size zero as well :D Put you guys don't actually have a concrete plan. What is you are following? is there a plan or is it each to their own. Do we come on here to report when we have broken our diet and the rest scream at you??

Anyway Good luck all, I know you can do it.

P.s. Caadaan good to see you taking control of your life. smile.gif

Serenity: Lol You can talk, you hate walking and I'm sure you don't spend your evenings at the gym! :D

Joins Nepthy cheering crew for now

^I hate walking in heel. Difference.

Whenever I'm in flats and the weather is good, I walk to and from my local train station - 20mins each way ;) .

Still, if I felt like I needed exercise for more than just keeping healthy, the gym would be my zen place.

Chimera   

Originally posted by Hayam:

^ And it begins...juvenile replies that will litter the thread and bleed it of any meaning.

Seriously a picture of a strange fat kid...in a sincere weight-loss thread?

Actually it was his body movement that cracked me up, ngonge once posted a similar pic of a cat and my reaction was the same

There is not much for me to add to this topic Urban said it all - 6/7 small meals throughout the day is healthier than 1 big meal or 2/3 medium large meals smile.gif

NGONGE   

Tell me about it, Ibti. My own mother, the woman that gave birth to me and is supposed to love me more than anything in this world called me fat the other day. MY OWN MOTHER!

Hayam,

Walaalo, dearest, you lovely embodiment of brilliantly distributed xalow (and other assorted energy reserves), I was not talking about the subject of the thread there. I was talking about 'and so it begins' comment of yours. smile.gif

(But yeah, it's only words and pictures on a screen. Don't take it to heart. If it makes you feel any better, my tummy is twice the size of that shaking boy). :D

STOIC   

Cadaan,

It's the number game, my brother.Both in terms of biochemistry and nutrition in order to maintain our body weight we must stay in caloric balance. Calories as you know in metabolism and nutrition is the unit of energy. We are in caloric balance if the kilocalories of the food we eat equal our Daily Energy Expenditure (DEE).The DEE includes the energy to support our basal metabolism and our physical activities. If for example we eat less food than we require for our Daily Energy expenditure, our body fuel stores supply the additional calories, and we lose weight and if we eat more food than we require for our energy need, the excess food is stored in our adipose tissue and we gain weight. It is the number game here my friend. If for example lets say today you eat 1000 calories less than you expend per day, you will lose about 2 lbs per week. The average typical healthy person food intake is about 2000 to 3000 calories per day-now eating one third to one half that number will cause you to loose weight rather slowly.

Many people including myself don’t pay attention to our calorie intake. It is good to have dietary guidelines that will help us reduce the risk of developing chronic or degenerative diseases. It is not a secret that studies after studies have shown the association between diet and exercise and decreased risk of many diseases including stroke, hypertension and diabetes. It is great step that you have taken the first step in acknowledging that you need to lose weight in order to be physically healthy person. If you want to maintain a healthy weight, which personally I myself need, your caloric intake should balance caloric expenditure. Try to at least do moderate physical activities daily!

It is no brainer that individuals who generally practice healthier behaviors, especially with regard to fat consumption and exercise are more likely to have an average lifespan that is longer. Yesterday I got my physical report card in the mail from my primary doctor. I need to do some work myself. I’m currently weighing 205 lbs with a height of 6.1 feet. Lately my waist line has increased. It is a battle that I’ll personally need to tackle. I’m Somali and being from that community you know how we love our “hiiliib” it is a number one enemy when it comes to the deposit of fat on our arterials walls. I will need to reduce my fat intake for no more than 30% of my total dietary intake. I know it’s easier said than done, but it wouldn’t hurt to try it…

Well it seems like we got some momentum going on so we should go ahead and begin the process…Maybe Cadaan if he wants to join with us or have additional suggestions he can add on… Confirmed participant are:

Hayam

Ms. DD

Kool Kat

Shaken and Deterred

Ibtisam

Scorpion_Sista

Here are the plans for the Weight Loss

1. We are going to do a weekly weight loss report- we should weight ourselves at the beginning of each week and then at the end…We can start this Friday June 13, 2008 and we would report our weight loss accomplishment or lack of on Friday June 20, 2008

2. Abstain from Fast Food for one month

3. Exercise-this would depend on the individuals, some can go to gym, walking, sports, etc.

4. Meals: We can do 6 small meals or we can do smaller portions of whatever meals we have the time to eat…We should try to change our eating habit for this.

I think this is a great idea knowing you have to report your weight for everyone definitely might help that “French-fries” loss its appeal

Nephthys we ladies are definitely going to need your support during the “water retention” time, so better have those fingers ready to write words of inspiration to keep us from giving up when the weight isn’t dropping.

Does this work for you guys? Does this work for you guys? Can make any suggestions or additions you want.

Bee bye

Ibtisam   

^^Okay I've never weighed myself, so now you are telling me I have to go on one of those machines that flashes and shouts “overweigh overweigh” in my local pharmacy. That alone would cause you to shed some weigh! lol

Six mini meals a day; that is almost impossible, that means you spend the whole day eating or trying to think of something to eat :eek:

Are you not starting a bit strong! I mean no fast food for a whole month!! I thought we could start easy and get extreme. Maybe two chocolate bars a week instead of 12 and no ice cream or something.

Ngonge :D lool I like your mother all of sudden! Lol She’s great!

Lol I like how Caadan thread turned into Xalimo weigh loss thread. :Dicon_razz.gif

Ibtisam,

Whenever I start thinking about losing weight I start to think about the reward I would give myself for doing it…I can stop eating this for a whole five days but in the weekend I am going to do that and this…Trust me it doesn’t work out, we should just jump in and give it up and it isn’t like forever but for a month and afterward maybe you wouldn’t even think about it…it is going to be difficult, couple of months ago I gave up coke (not the drug but the pop), and trust me that was hard, I thought about it every moment but I knew I couldn’t just drink one a day instead of two, I had to give it up all…I kept a calendar were I marked off the days and once I got comfortable I started marking the coming days that way when I thought about getting a drink I would say “oh no today is off”…And voila next thing I know it’s been a month and a half.

If a month is too much, how about two weeks to start it off?

As for the six small meals, I agree with you it is hard…Maybe those who don’t eat breakfast now we eat one…Someone might buy healthy bar or bring a fruit with them to work or what not, that would be consider a very small meal…Again there was the other alternative of eating smaller portion of your food.

how does that sound?

Ibtisam   

Lool @giving uo coke. hmm^^^Okay, I can only try. But with no fast food, it is hard to snack. lol

Lets see what the others think eh.

ZOLA   

Having a support system is very important when trying to loose weight. I’m glad that you started this thread and hope you receive some useful advice from the SOL community.

I have struggled with weight problems for as long as I could remember. I have also tried every diet out there; from weight watchers to South Beach and L.A weight loss (this one was pricy). It took me 25 yrs to realize that diets don’t work but what works is life style change. Diets help you loose the first 10- 20 pounds and make you feel like you’re in control. It takes a few weeks before you start rebelling against the diet and start cheating.

I have decided 2008 is my year to make some life style changes. I started out with small changes such as eliminating sugar (I use Splenda) and white flour from my diet and incorporating more veggies and white meat. I’m also locked in a 18 month contract at bally total fitness and have been working out there couple of times a week with a friend. It’s slow progress but who said you could loose weight overnight.

So, my advice to you is start out with small changes and find some time to work out few times a week. Men tend to loose weight much faster than women. Keep us posted on your progress and I hope the rest of the SOL Biggest Looser Group do the same…).

KK- Do you remember a day few yrs ago, when certain 2 people worked out, had a meal and decided to walk home? What a bad choice that was lol.

Scorpion- count me in.