Sign in to follow this  
Baluug

The Biggest Loser:SOL Edition

Baluug   

I have to admit to all my London friends that met me while I was on vacation, that you saw me while I was the largest I've ever been.

At 314 lbs., a regular bathroom scale wouldn't accomodate me. Over the course of 5 years working at a potato chips factory, I was taking my work home with me and also munching on crisps at work whenever I felt like it, leading me to gain 55 pounds since I started working there. I had tried to lose weight in the past, but it would ultimately end the next week or so, with me eating chips and fast food again.

But my trip to London sort of revitalized me and for some reason I seem a lot more focused on my goals than I was before. It also helped that I was walking everywhere, so much so that I had blisters on my feet when I went home. Not to mention that I got away from eating crisps for 2 weeks. Like I said when I was there, I was also taking a vacation from my eating habits. I weighed myself when I got back to work and found that I had lost 7 pounds! I guess it doesn't take much to lose weight after all, since I was only there for 10 days.

As it stands right now, I am at an even 300 pounds, which means that I have lost 14 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks. Not only am I extremely proud of myself, but I also feel motivated to get down to my ideal weight of 210 lbs., which I haven't been since I was 17 years old. So I'd like to ask for your support and du'as, and if this motivates you as well, come and join me! But I know most Somalis are the opposite of me, they're trying to gain weight :D

Basically all I have done is stop eating chips and fast food, started eating fruits, and cooking instead of eating out, and also doing more with my free time than just surfing the internet. I used to be on the net for around 5-6 hours a day! Now I'm down to around 2 hours. :D

Early this year I watched that Biggest loser-Couples show and it was really the only reality tv I wanted to partake in if they would do the weight-in fully clothed.

Anyways, I think it is a great new beginning there, and men tend to lose more weight faster than women even if they followed the same formate...I have also decided to shed the weight this year there is no reason to wait anymore...I haven't been eating as healthy as I should now, I took a month off of fast food, but kind went back to having at least fast food twice a week...I am having more water now and decided to talk the bus and park my car (saves me gas too) and walk to work and home...My goal is to be 35 pounds lighter

We should set a goal date and see who reaches it first!!...That might at least keep me motivated.

Bee bye

Miriam1   

My brothers and sisters! haha. We should set a bit of a competition, I also need to loose weight, right now, I am about 45 pounds over my "ideal-weight" All that stress of examination and eating junk food whenever didn't help

What I do now is that I walk about between one hour to 1:45 mins daily, I know its not good for me, but I am not a breakfast person and neither am I a late dinner person...so I tend to eat two full meals a day, and lots of tea, water and fruit juices in the middle.

Um how should we go about this? Tally all the exercises we do daily, weekly? How many calories (HATE THIS) ?

Miriam1   

Here now, this is a supportive space, none of those crude jokes...seriously, does everything have to turn into a 8 page back and forth that amounts to nothing constructive?

Urban   

Salaam cadaan

Many people think that the only way to lose fat is by exercising, it's not. It's your diet. Of course exercising helps, but without a good diet you're just wasting time and effort. From what I've seen and experienced, the diet contributes to about 70% to your fat loss journey.

Metabolism. You need a high level of that. One of the simplest ways to increase your metabolism is by eating regularly (healthy food, not xalwo or bajiyo), by regularly I mean 5 or 6 times a day, 3 main meals and 2/3 snacks. Or every 3 hours.

Protein should make up a good part of every meal you eat as well.

I'm also on a mission to lose some body fat and gain muscle, and I was thinking of starting a similar thread. Anyways I'll write more info later inshallah.

Hayam,

I think that would be too much, what I think would be easier, is to merely report the number of pounds lost on a monthly basis...And if someone wanted to know your daily workout or exercise pattern then they can ask and whoever then can share their method. Does it make sense?

bee bye

N.O.R.F   

Cadaan, glad to hear you're on course and putting thoughts into action saxib. Remember there will come a time when you feel like just sitting around and getting a pizza. Thats when you will have test.

Kool_Kat   

I joined the gym about two months ago and haven't set a foot in it since the day I joined...I, too, have been wanting to lose some weight for sometime now...I've lost nearly 45lbs :D since last summer, but have been slacking as of late... redface.gifredface.gifredface.gif Winter is a bummer, I tell yah!

I've decided last week to start going to the gym, specially since I am still paying on it...I went a bought a mp3 player last week and was all set to go to the gym yesterday...After going back and forth doing laundry, and running after my two year old, I got dressed to go...You'd think I went right? NO! A friend of mine called, and I ended up going with the friend instead...Today doesn't look good, tomorrow is even worse, and I start school next Monday...

Motivation, motivation, motivation is what I need...Like many others who try to lose weight and keep it off, it is easy for me to start but hardest to keep it up...And then after while, it just gets too frustrating and I lose my focus...

Count me in people...May be this is the final push I needed...

A weekly progress report would work just fine, me thinks...

Cadaan, such a cadaan you're...No Somali would be brave enough to start such topic here...Thanks bro...And should I succeed this time with my goad, I'll have you to thank for... :D

Urban   

Kool KAT^, taking a picture helps when it comes to motivation. Take a picture of yourself every 2 or 4 weeks from the front and profile views, and compare them as you move on. Believe me once you see even the smallest progress, you'll want to keep working hard.

Brofessor G, I used to work out on and off (more off than on) but for the last 2 months I was busy with uni work got in the way, so I couldn't dedicate enough time to exercise, and the diet was the hardest part. Believe me eating on regular basis isn't as easy as it sounds.

Since Cadaan started this thread, I'm gonna report my progress weekly, hopefully that'll motivate me more.

Castro   

You know you're fat when you can't even look at yourself wearing a swimsuit. That's the ultimate test. I almost got arrested the last time I did that. :D

Don't try this at home:

fatgirl.jpg