Sign in to follow this  
wacdaraha_aduunka

PUNTLAND SHOPPING COMPLEX

Sayyid   

Baashi is from a little tuulo between Gabiley and Boorama called Calanley!

That's quite clear for the rest of the Soler's in here because he has named that tuulo numerous times as a proove of where he comes from, maybe you should check out his past posts for more clarification on that matter!

ElPunto   

I have difficulty understanding the negativity surrounding this proposed investment. If the demand for this undertaking is non-existent, then this enterprise(provided it gets off the drawing board) will collapse. And the investors will lose much of their money. Some in here would no doubt be heartened by that. If it succeeds, it provides an unmet need for a population of consumers in that area and as such increases their quality of life. It also will provide employment for at least some in the city. If it succeeds, it will also increase property prices in the immediate vicinity thus making those property owners better off. Also, any profits that are generated are more likely to be invested in the area given this successful investment thus creating a potentially virtous cycle. This is called economic progress and development.

Naden   

Not so much negativity as skepticism. Anyone familiar with Western type malls is imagining that type of enterprise in a spot where incomes are most likely at subsistence levels. I would imagine an increase in disposable income and increased buying power are what lead to the development of malls not the other way around.

But I am beginning to think that maybe the 'shops' in this mall are not what we imagine them to be and could simply be an extension of what we may have seen in any Somali city shopping strip (like bacadley in Xamar).

Originally posted by ThePoint:

[QB] I have difficulty understanding the negativity surrounding this proposed investment.

Maf Kees   

Not so much negativity as skepticism. Anyone familiar with Western type malls is imagining that type of enterprise in a spot where incomes are most likely at subsistence levels. Again, an increase in disposable income and increased buying power are what lead to the development of malls not the other way around.

The biggest mistake a Somali can do is underestimate the power of remittance money. Say 15% of the city with a population of 100.000 receives on average $100 dollars per month of remittances. 15.000 times 100 is $1.5 million dollars. $1.5 mln dollars pouring into a city like Galkayo monthly! And I came with modest numbers, the amount of money must be much higher. Money used by these households to buy food, clothes and other commodities.

These investors simply want a big chunk of that steady flow of money.

Naden   

No doubt. I heard of a gentleman with a photo-processing lab imported from Dubai making close to $5000 a month in a town not much bigger than this one. The money is there for whomever wants to tap into it. Not to mention that remittance money, unlike an economy-driven job market, is not subject to layoffs or downsizing. The poorest bloke in Canada can send some of his caydh money home.

As someone posted earlier, what we really need is production but it seems we're skipping that step altogether. Given that Somalia had no government for 15 years, we seem to defy political and economic orthodoxy.

Originally posted by Danyer:

These investors simply want a big chunk of that steady flow of money. [/QB]

Maf Kees   

As someone posted earlier, what we really need is production but it seems we're skipping that step altogether.

Blessed is right. Industry is the best sector to invest in for all involved parties in the long and short term. Somalia has witnessed the birth of small companies producing beverages, plastic bags, mosquito nets, soap, building material and sofort. The number is still growing so it's not like Somalis are skipping production altogether.

Given that Somalia had no government for 15 years, we seem to defy political and economic orthodoxy.

People don't decide how the economy runs itself, money does.

Naden   

Money alone?

Yes, I have heard of those factories, especially the large number operating in the bigger cities like Muqdisho. They are good news, indeed.

Originally posted by Danyer:

quote:

Given that Somalia had no government for 15 years, we seem to defy political and economic orthodoxy.

People don't decide how the economy runs itself, money does. [/QB]

Sayyid   

It is quite clear that we've some devout and dedicated "communists" among us.

I can't see what is wrong with this shopping complex soon to be build in Gaalkacyo!

Investments is always good and there is already a "shopping" mall, although it is nothing like the one proposed by this thread nevertheless the demand is there!

Gaalkacyo is a strategic location and there is already a hotel, that is above the standard!

Taar city hotel to the road to Garoowe is a big hotel, which has a conference hall and other fecilities such as a communal hall, where the guests can watch sports, news and other movies on a cinema like big screen!

So the question is to naden and the other communists excluding the blessed one ofcourse, why they are against that development and why they would think that the shopping mall complex would be sub-standard, when the houses are top and above standard.

Would the two communists and the blessed one decline this villa, which is located in Gaalkacyo if they would be offered to live there permanently if they stop discrediting it? :D

Come'on, no one in their real mind would decline such an offer btw what's wrong with investment if you got the assests! Halaal money and the best thing is you work for your country bring in revenue, jobs to the people and government!

galkayo042.jpg

galkayo038.jpg

galkayo023.jpg

galkayo007.jpg

Paragon   

If they have done a feasibility study that indicates ample consumer demand, then all the supply they can bring into the market is welcome. They should also look into the things that come with a sizable shopping complex such as this, in terms of not only remittances but also 'constant long-term' income rates, are these incomes sustainably constant? They should calculate the amount of currency they take off a population of such a size, and how they may help replenish the circulating market currency through, prefferably, direct or indirect employment. The rate of wages they give and the contracts they offer to local contractors should also be considered: can taking cheaply provided labour or services create sustainability or continuity for the proposed business? After that question is answered, then, they should look at the potential profit margins to be made from the sector of the market they wish to enter. Sometimes high profit margins at the expense of the locals can have long-term negative consequences. So moderate waging system is adviced. This is a basic capitalist exercise: those who work for you are your number one customers.

But I am sure they have looked into these things...and I wish them all the lack..

Hawdgirl   

"If they build it just exactly as they designed it, it would be very nice fecility to shop . I won't be critical but is there any doubt that the end of the world is near? because from Hargeysa to Galkacayo people are building shopping centers, hotels, villas etc. while many people can't find drop of water to drink for the sake of their lives. May Allah save us"

That is so true red sea,there is no doubt about that..The end is near......Alloow noo naxariiso

here is an evidence for that....by one of the Islamic scholars....

Construction and Technology:

A sign of the advanced technology of the age in which we live and which The Prophet (saas) has mentioned is the construction of tall buildings.

The time in which we live, with its tall buildings, and competition in the advancement of building technology, was described in the hadiths 14 centuries ago.

There will be no Judgment-until very tall buildings are constructed.(Reported by Abu Hurairah

The Hour will not be established-till the people compete with one another in constructing high buildings.(Bukhari)

If we look at the history of architecture and engineering, we see that multi-storied buildings began to be constructed only towards the end of the nineteenth century. Technological developments, the growing use of steel and the use of elevators accelerated the construction of structures called skyscrapers. Skyscrapers have become an important part of the architecture of the twentieth and twentyfirst centuries, and have today become a symbol of prestige. What the hadith says has come true: people do compete in the construction of tall buildings, and nations compete with one another in building the tallest skyscrapers.

Blessed   

Baashi

It's supposed to :D

Thepoint

Development is good, urban regeneration coupled with education, community empowerment and government regulation is exactly what Somalia needs. I don’t like Somalia to be turned into a capitalist state and I hope it works out for everyone. Businessmen, have a responsibility towards the poor of our country, that’s crux of my argument. I’m not hating or wishing for the failure of anyone.

Sayid,

Bah! I already live in a villa like that :D

I'd only dream of owning one back home, if there were decent schools.

Anyway, I guess you know GK more than me, so ‘your right’ ;)

Sayyid   

Bah! I already live in a villa like that

Maashaallaah, Ilaahay ha ku barakeeyo sister! However keep in mind, that this world of ours is only temporary and I hope that god-willinlgy, you'll own a house in al-jannah, this a sincere ducaa coming from me! Help and give a small amount as charity towards a mosque project and inshaallaah Allaah the glorified will build you a hous in paradise.

Secondly sister, I'd urge you to build yourself a house back home because the UK isn't our home and nothing is guranteed, they can kick us out anytime from their country, even supposing we own their passports, this would us only make british, english on paper but not in reality!

I'd only dream of owning one back home, if there were decent schools.

Thirdly why do you think that there aren't no decent schools back home?

There are plenty, believe me! Without intriguing and indulging too much in your private life and privacy, I believe that "your children", would go to a standard public school here in the UK or to a religious school!

If you'll send them to public school, you children would most definately not get a "decent" education, the only education they would get at a modern secondary school and primary school is how to commit crimes and become a gangster.

Their isn't much education, that would be very beneficial certainly not when children are in their teens and very young.

Atleast back home, children are more dedicated in their studies unlike so many minors and youngsters in here, who have to be begged to attend some sort of schooling.

On the other hand Religious schools are also not up to standard and they learn as much ill behaviours and manners at their school yard in their break time as they would learn, if they would attend a public school run by the local education authority!

Atleast you can send them back home and they'll get an excellend education in religion, manners, decent behaviour, respect etc. they'll also memorise the holy quran at a very young age and learn new languages, which they'll become fluent in!

The only thing the kids in here will grow is stomach size! They will be morally corrupt.

E.g. Kids in here think, that a family unit consists of mother, father, brothers and sisters, two grandmothers and dads and maybe some cousins. On the other hand, they don't know that the siblings brethren of their grandmother/father is also their grandmother/father, they really get confused!

So I'll suggest not to knock the education system back home unless you got sufficient evidence to support that the education is indeed indecent! Faults will always be found in the systme, the same with the UK education system but I wouldn't certainly go as far as saying "there are no decent schools" back home in the motherland of ours, beautiful Somalia!