Sign in to follow this  
Ashkiro

Memories of Xamar/Mogadishu

Soori, wey ku dhaaftay. Those were the days. Literally good, great old days. That Soomaaliya shaqsi ahaanteyda wax walba waaku bixin lahaa if lagu noqon karo. I would've done everything to go back to that timeline. And this time as a grown man, not as a little boy, to enjoy and appreciate it fully. But alas, we can't.

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;770747 wrote:
Soori, wey ku dhaaftay. Those were the days. Literally good, great old days. That Soomaaliya shaqsi ahaanteyda wax walba waaku bixin lahaa if lagu noqon karo. I would've done everything to go back to that timeline. And this time as a grown man, not as a little boy, to enjoy and appreciate it fully. But alas, we can't.

I know I can only watch old videos and pictures of that time, but it's not too late if you start building a time machine as in the movie Back To The Future so we can go back in time lol :D

I have a vague memory of going to that same beach, called Liido, in early to mid '80s as a very young boy. Our eldest sister used to take us every other Friday, I and many other older brothers along with my sister's two young sons. She had and drove -- oh, ladies used to drive in '70s, Xamar was so liberal, thousands of years ahead other African towns -- a Talyaani car Xamar caan ka ahaa, whch was called Fantikuwataare, aka venti quattro.

fantikuwaataromi8.jpg

It was this model. Also it was the model used by Muqdisho taxis.

I only vaguely remember each of us getting the towels and shorts and squeezing in that car, many of us boys. It lasted until the sister and her family moved to Sirte, Libya in mid '80s. Aah, the memories. First time I heard Sirte was back then.

Showqi   

Bluelicious;770763 wrote:
I know I can only watch old videos and pictures of that time, but it's not too late if you start building a time machine as in the movie Back To The Future so we can go back in time lol
:D

of misschien kun je ook vragen iedereen dat is 35 jaar en ouder in jouw gezin ;how prachtig en gezellig het was in Somalia (en in het bijzonder magadisho) in de jaren 80s

Showqi;770800 wrote:
of misschien kun je ook vragen iedereen dat is 35 jaar en ouder in jouw gezin ;
how
prachtig en gezellig het was in Somalia (en in het bijzonder magadisho) in de jaren 80s

Lool you made me laugh you earned yourself some good points for after your death :)

You have used Google Translate nice try. But the sentence is correct except for the how word. And yes I have already heard so many stories about it experiencing it with your own eyes is different and better.

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;770777 wrote:
I have a vague memory of going to that same beach, called Liido, in early to mid '80s as a very young boy. Our eldest sister used to take us every other Friday, I and many other older brothers along with my sister's two young sons. She had and drove -- oh, ladies used to drive in '70s, Xamar was so liberal, thousands of years ahead other African towns -- a Talyaani car Xamar caan ka ahaa, whch was called
Fantikuwataare
, aka venti quattro.

fantikuwaataromi8.jpg

I only vaguely remember each of us getting the towels and shorts and squeezing in that car, many of us boys. It lasted until the sister and her family moved to Sirte, Libya in mid '80s. Aah, the memories. First time I heard Sirte was back then.

Aww that was a beautiful childhood with good memories. It's good you have good memories about your childhood and experienced it in a peaceful time. They had churches in Xamar? So that means christians lived in the country too :eek:

Chimera   

Bluelicious;770989 wrote:
Lool you made me laugh you earned yourself some good points for after your death
:)

You have used Google Translate nice try. But the sentence is correct except for the how word. And yes I have already heard so many stories about it experiencing it with your own eyes is different and better.

The Dutch word for how has a different meaning in English, which is why it has been censored lol.

Chimera;770994 wrote:
The Dutch word for
how
has a different meaning in English, which is why it has been censored lol.

Loooool your totally right I forgot about the censorship of some words. It's ironic though that a normal word used in everyday vocab could be offensive in a another language :eek:

Carafaat   

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;770777 wrote:
I have a vague memory of going to that same beach, called Liido, in early to mid '80s as a very young boy. Our eldest sister used to take us every other Friday
, I and many other older brothers along with my sister's two young sons. She had and drove -- oh, ladies used to drive in '70s, Xamar was so liberal, thousands of years ahead other African towns -- a Talyaani car Xamar caan ka ahaa, whch was called
Fantikuwataare
, aka venti quattro.

fantikuwaataromi8.jpg

MMA, I used to go every friday to Liido beach as well. I remember that a cousin of mine who went swimming with some white school friends, was attacked by a shark. that must been in 1987.

Showqi   

Bluelicious;770989 wrote:
Lool you made me laugh you earned yourself some good points for after your death
:)

Now do I get the some points for butchering the Dutch language..........

Bluelicious;770991 wrote:
Aww that was a beautiful childhood with good memories. It's good you have good memories about your childhood and experienced it in a peaceful time. They had churches in Xamar? So that means christians lived in the country too :eek:

Maya, that was the only famous kaniisad and it alone was located in Xamar. It was built by Talyaaniga and used by their expatriates in prewar. It had nothing to do with Soomaalida.

Somalia   

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;131817 wrote:

3228210140_1024bac0e2.jpg

Jowhar

Is that picture really from Jowhar?!

Excellent thread, one of the best I've seen.