Sign in to follow this  
Ashkiro

Memories of Xamar/Mogadishu

Ashkiro   

Please share your fond memories of one of the greatest cities in Africa. Little interesting facts, bits and pieces etc. The side of Xamar -Mogadishu most people don't know, what Xamar was like. I hope to read your views. Please keep it positive. smile.gif

Tuujiye   

^ loool Maka Xaaji Banadir ayaa hore wuxuu u dhahay, "Xamar waa la xumeeye, ee yaa xaal marihaa!!!"

Xamar iska iloow qabuure aduunka ka weyn hada majiro lol.... Somalia dhan wee quruxdahay is about time aan raadino dhulcusub oo laga dhigo xamar oo kale...

Wareer Badanaa!!!

School_Mogadishu_1984.jpg

Here's a list of Primary Schools in Muqdisho.

The information was gathered by UNDOS (United Nations Development Office for Somalia) in 1995.

SCHOOL NAMES STUDENTS NO. CLASS WORKERS LOCATION

Hamar J/Jab 520 17 42 X.J.Jab

20 Dcember 460 15 31 Waberi

21 October 360 12 29 "

Raage Ugaas 365 12 30 "

Dr. Ismail 550 18 44 Madina

1 May 455 15 35 Hodan

Taleex 334 11 29 Hodan

Dayniile 382 13 34 Hodan

Xasan Qaridi 389 13 34 H/Wadaag

Sh. Sufi 539 18 45 "

Hamar Weyne 245 8 24 H/Weyne

12 October 740 18 40 B/Dheere

G/X. Diiriye 722 18 45 Shibis

Kamaal 390 13 36 "

8 Maajo 595 18 40 Yaaqshid

Mohd A/Ali 419 14 37 Kaaraan

Saqaawo Diin 380 13 35 Shibis

Janaral Daud 525 15 38 Yaqshid

Ceel Cirfid 445 15 40 Xoriyo

Cabdulcasis 350 12 29 C/Casis

Sh/ Kowsar 530 18 44 Shibis

Sh.X/Barsame 338 11 30 B/Dheere

Muuse Galaal 532 18 44 H/Wadaag

Jabuuti 296 9 24 Madina

Ban Africa 250 8 22 Hodan

Cali Hussein 278 9 24 Madina

SCHOOL NAMES STUDENT NO. CLASS WORKERS LOCATION

Amiir Nur 233 8 22 W/Dhigle

Waxar Cade 232 8 22 Xuriyo

Dhagax Tur 298 9 24 Hodan

Maxamud Mire 256 8 22 Waberi

Wiil Waal 516 15 38 B/Dheere

Shekh Muxdin 560 16 40 Kaaraan

Warsame 548 18 40 Kaaraan

GSWQ/.Xadid 448 15 37 "

Imaan Cumar 312 10 26 Gubadley

X.W.Naasir 485 16 38 Kaaraan

Aw Honest KF 399 13 34 Shibis

Honest RB Is 479 16 40 B/Dheere

Barakow F.F. 451 15 38 "

Yagore J.Ban 540 18 44 "

B.Fatax Doon 440 15 38 Shangani

C.Africa TRO 570 19 46 "

Hogal Doont 542 18 44 Dh/kenle

S.Bilaal M.F 539 18 43 B/Dheere

C.B.Dalib RE 482 16 38 Yaaqshid

Khalid Abt 380 13 33 C/Casiis

Alamagan Anc 565 19 46 Kaaraan

Alla Mag.Nur 854 25 59 Shibis

AL Anda Nahd 510 17 42 H/Wadaag

I.M. Al Huda 420 14 34 Dh/kenle

Towfiq 1 & 2 467 16 39 Yaqshid

Waberi 303 10 34 Waberi

Kamaavi   

Originally posted by J.a.c.a.y.l.b.a.r.o:

Memories doesn't help this time ,,,,, ppl need to fix this shyytt first then talk about memories.

It is all about feel-good ,, not more.

I know this is not my thread, but

may I ask you to elaborate on that?

Kamaavi   

which one ,, the first or the second ??

First-then Second, if

it'll not take his time.

Kool_Kat   

Duulaaye, as we are aware of the current situation of Xamar, there is nothing wrong with reminiscing of what Xamar Cadeey used to be...Teeda kale, not everyone's memories of Xamar are painful ones such as adiga waxaa ka xasuusato... ;)

Anyone who was born/raised in Xamar and seen its beauty pre-war will attest ineysan meel la mid ah aduunka jirin...Xamar ama ha burburto, ama ha gubato, ama ha duusho, beautiful memories is what we have dear...And insha'allah the day will come when we can create more beautiful memories...

The only thing I remember from xamar is going to dugsi and getting a beating from the macalin, and then afterwards running away from the civil war. The place is cursed and a perpetual hellhole.

Kool_Kat   

Qalbi adeygnimada naga daa hee...If you were old enough to go to dugsi, I am sure you were old enough inaa garaangar wadid...Waligaa garaangar ma waday, ama passing truck/car maku daaba dhagtay? :D

^ I wasn't old enough(3 and a half) to go to dugsi, but i went for a few weeks, I quit dugisi after the macalin whacked me with a stick a few too many times.

I do remember a small monkey that used to visit our house, might've been a squirrel monkey, apparently there were a lot of them in xamar. Before 1990, xamar was a great place.

I've some really fond memories of Xamar - my neighbourhood, my family, my friends, my school, but mostly my fondest memories seem to be of eateries.

Like the burger joint near the Egyptian school and the little self-service supermarket on the main road (can't remember the name) to Nambar Afar, the restaurant in Afgoye with the little huts...the new posh hotels that were built just before the war.

There was also a fantastic restaurant somewhere between Medina and Booli Qaran that used to do the best steaks (my mum and I used to pick up dinner there once a week).

Not to mention the fish market near the oldest part of Xamar (the whitewashed hilly neighbourhood by the ocean - don't remember the name).

My dad used to take us out for dinner quite often and he also used to drive us around the city and take us to the beach on the weekends.

I agree with KK - I think Xamar has a big place in the heart of anyone who was born or grew up there.

Val, If i try to remember some of the places you have mentioned mmm the burger place near Egyptian school was called Aaran burgers. Restaurant near Afgoye was called Xaraf, there are couple of mini markets that I can remember one near KM5 which is not that far from number afar (KM4), and another one which was close to number afar as well but was not on the main road Kolac family mini market kooda. Suuqa malaayga xamar weyne gadaashiisa ah. Don't know about that restaurant near boliqaran.

Gheelle, that's a pretty good memory you have! We lived near Medina, in the suburb of Xoosh...so the mini market was the closest one on the way to town. The unknown restaurant was also on the same stretch of road from Medina if I remember correctly.

Do you also remember a new zoo built in that same area not long before the war? Although they didn't have that many wildlife there.