Sign in to follow this  
Gediid

Chew On This

Mowgli   

Asalaama Alaikum

Ameenah sis who said they skip school to go to marfish? In London waa la iil bahay (excuse the spelling), now its just eaten in school & in exams (this one girl was eating jaad during our gcses, when the teacher asked her what she was eating, she responded by saying, "miss, its a Somali salad") :eek: .

But as DnD said everything is ok in "moderation", but sadly the Somali people don't know the meaning of the word.

LadyMo   

Looooooooooooool :D About Somali Salad :D

About the moderation theory;

Wud u allow ur kids or sum1 u love to smoke cigarettes, take drugs or drink alcohol if they did it in moderation??

I kno I wudnt!! Well Qaad to me is of de same standard as cigarettes, drugs and alcohol.

Anythin dat is harmful to the body and which effects ur mental wellbeing, whether long or short-term shud b avoided. How can u pray markaad marqaansantahay?? U dont hav a steady mindset!

Qaad has and will continue to distroy lives, breakup families and so on until ppl grow up and realise the potential dangers of chewin this plant-The Sooner=The better!

Gediid   

I agree with you 1000% Lady Mo.It should be not only banned but stiff penalties imposed on those caught in the act of trafficking this menace.Idil said something to the tune of a girl doing her GCSE or O levels chewing,It totally shocked me.If this thing is at a point where a 16 or 17 year girl chews when doing her O levels then its reached epidemic levels and the sooner we act the better.......

LadyMo'...

I agree with you sis. When I was talking about moderation, I was thinking of the fact that many ppl use to eat it in Somalia (b4 it was criminalised) without it being a problem. Even here, many men enjoy chewing it occasionally, without it affecting their normal day-to-day lives. But the fact that Khat has become poisonous to our community cant be denied. So am all for banning it too.

Jaabir   

i think this ban will be some good news to the UK nomads should it happen.. i have many relatives in UK who beerta galai oo jaad mahee caqli kale lahayn.... one of them is actualy a Brit born and raised!!

Curly   

I honestly don’t think that they should make such a brash decision so easily; I know Qat has many bad points but I also believe that “Nasir Warfa Department of psychiatry, Queen Mary, London” made a very value point.

The adverse affects of banning qat are serious, in the sense that the Somali community aren’t going to follow suit as soon as the British government says so!

In reality the banning of qat will mean that families with male who are addicted will either face physical or verbal abuse due to withdrawal symptoms or they will lose financially as soon as a black market for the qat is set up and is charged at ridiculous rates!

And suddenly the Somali community will be viewed as criminals for doing something which is for them culturally expectable.

I actually live near St Clement's hospital and have seen the amount of Somalians who have be admitted to the hospital for psychological problems, ranging from paranoia to depression and domestic violence. Some even display suicidal behaviour and there are several known cases of suicide in the local Somali community. But I believe that of course drugs affect individuals differently and so you will find that some individuals use it as a social lubricant and those who use it to forget about their worries become addicts just like as you get with alcohol yet no one is trying to ban alcohol!

Therefore instead of banning it they should introduce an age limit on qat and hopefully with time the younger generation will have no taste for the drug and help the Somali community slowly rid them selves of this problem. But you can’t do any of this with the naïve idea that the problem will disappear altogether because no matter what you do there will be people who misuse qat and so that’s when the problems start!