Sign in to follow this  
Lefty

Any paranoid of SARS

Lefty   

Last night someone mentioned to me that a Somali dude died for the virus of SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory syndrome) in North-York, Toronto but I'm not sure that yet.

Main Symptoms:

High fever (>38 C or 100.4 F);

Dry cough;

Shortness of breath or breathing difficulties; Changes in chest X-rays indicative of pneumonia also occur;

SARS may be associated with other symptoms, including headache, muscular stiffness, loss of appetite, malaise, confusion, rash and diarrhea.

How contagious is SARS?

Based on currently available evidence, close contact with an infected person is needed for the infective agent to spread from one person to another. Contact with aerosolized (exhaled) droplets and bodily secretions from an infected person appears to be important… the amount of the infective agent needed to cause an infection has not yet been determined.

Source: The World Health Organization

Health officials in Ontario say keeping the SARS outbreak contained is a public health duty that everyone needs to take seriously. They have asked those in the Greater Toronto Area who are feeling ill or have a fever to stay at home until they feel better or the cause of the illness is sorted out.

By the way, there are people who are serious about buying Face masks and Plastic gloves but yesterday Doctors said not all of them really that effective but only the one called N95 Mask.

Anyway, this virus is a killer and it's worst than AIDS. it is spreading faster than a bullet. There's a rumour this virus can't spread in warmer places like Africa. Therefore, If you are scare of it, this is your right time to move back to Somalia.! Otherwise watch yourself carefully.

--------

Iffah   

Lefty, It's funny that you brought this up now. I was just thinking of how paranoid I have become lately. I was in the train a few minutes ago, and this man was coughing... I didn't know whether to flee the train or just hold my breath.

I'm freaked out that I might catch this thing and bring it home to the whole family. I am now seriously considering getting that mask.

Gotta run...

shyhem   

Paranoid???? are u guys crazy.That shi-t is the last thing i'm sacred of.Oh please i'm from Africa,got infected with all kinds of bacteria and virus related diseases before i was seven Used to drink dirty water from the local borehole and stream or river whatever u call it.

My immune system is twenty seven times stronger than that of the average western or Asian citizen,i guess that means Millions will die before it gets to me.

What do u guys know about life,if u haven't experienced Malaria fever,the person next to u is having typhoid and Tb and the dr says the next package of medicine won't arrive; until two weeks from now, coz the local murram road is flooded by the heavy rains last night, and as we speak right now we ain't got no medicine at all,not even pain killers.

If u go through that shi-t, been sick in America seems a luxury to me,atleast u have a tv and a telephone in u'r room,did i say "u'r own room" coz i where i came from we call that a 'ward" sixty million of u in the same room crying for the dr's attention.

Nah i haven't thought about it, i mean i keep hearing about it in the news and reading in the papers...But i seriously can't say i even worried or was concerned about it, as matter of fact, i am catching a cold right now...Maybe reading this topic now would atleast in some way let me know what symptoms to be looking out for, just in case :(:( ...Bee bye.

Baashi   

Lefty, that's very nice of u..it is very informative.

Shyhem,

What do u guys know about life,if u haven't experienced Malaria fever,the person next to u is having typhoid and Tb and the dr says the next package of medicine won't arrive; until two weeks from now, coz the local murram road is flooded by the heavy rains last night, and as we speak right now we ain't got no medicine at all,not even pain killers.

If u go through that shi-t, been sick in America seems a luxury to me,atleast u have a tv and a telephone in u'r room,did i say "u'r own room" coz i where i came from we call that a 'ward" sixty million of u in the same room crying for the dr's attention.

:D:D:D

I'm a frequent user of the GO Train/Bus...Becuz of that same reason, I am always watching out for folks who are constantly itching themselves, couchin' their feero off...THANK GOODNESS, school is over for me, I don't have to worry as much now...

I'm not sure yet, but the 11 o'clock news that was on monday night said that there was a MAN WHO TOOK THE GO TRAIN WHO KNEW THAT HAD SARS ON THE WEEKEND AND NOW THEY ARE ASKING FOLKS WHO WERE GOING AT THE SAME DESTINATION AS HIM TO COME FORWARD OR WHAT NOT...(I took the Go train that weekend, almost had stroke when I heard the news)

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT DESTINATION THE MAN WAS GOING???

THERE IS A NEW LAW NOW, IF FOUND OUT YOU GOING OUT IN PUBLIC INTENTIONALLY, U CAN GET LOCKED UP (A MONTH BEHIND BARS) AND THERE IS A $5, 000 FINE (I feel sorry for the inmate who gets to share a cell with the INFECTED SARS PATIENT)

Kool_Kat   

Did somebody say SARS? Damn, I am getting sick and tired of hearing about that damn virus...These gaal always blow thingz out proportion...Damn indho yar ppl, it's all thier fault...Uff...

N'way, that virus doesn't get me scared...

I agree with almost every word SHYHEM says...Walaahay...

Iffah   

Lol..Shyhem. Alright tough guy! But I doubt you'd say that if you were in this city. & you know you were alot younger when you were in Somalia, so death wasn't such a big deal to you...but now we're getting old...life has become more precious to us now. smile.gif ...& Did I mention this illness is still incurable?

LazieGirl...OMG. I didn't hear about that man. But I heard of a similar case, where a Nurse that was infected,took the GO train and the people that were in the same cart as her were told to come forward.

LG...you better isolate yourself ASAP icon_razz.gif

Anyways..I'm kinda relieved now that I won't have to deal with the TTC as much..I just found out that the summer semester that I registered for is cancelled due to SARS.

Originally posted by LayZieGirl:

(I feel sorry for the inmate who gets to share a cell with the INFECTED SARS PATIENT)

:D .... I'm sure they'd be isolated.

KK...No need to blame the indhayar...this is something that is out of their control.

Kool_Kat   

Ilhaam, I blame them iyo nus, walaahay...They're the ones who brought the damn virus here...And now it's sprading like crazy...Got everyone scared and shit...

But it's working to my advantage...You know they said on the news if you have a headache to stay home for at least three dayz...And guess what, I far as my employer knows, I home sick with a massive headache and fever...So, I guess I have a really really long weekend...Damn, I luv this country...

Lastly, Ilaahay naguma rido cudurkaas...Allaha naga ilaaliyo anaga iyo intii muslim ah ba...

Ilham and Koolkat, Whats up with TORONTO and SARS lately? It looks as if TORONTO became a province of China. How did that thing speard out of hand?

World Health Organization or some other international organization just issued a travel warning to TORONTO saying it is the most deadly city in North America. It has become the city of death I heard. Toronto mayor and other politicians are outraged by the Toronto blacklisting as a SARS heaven. Americans are all canceling their vacations to TORONTO.

I guess I won't be going back to my hometown anytime soon. redface.gif

Nomads be very very careful. Our Somali tradition of sharing and being close to each other can actually infect our community faster than any other community.

i personaly believe that this thing is being blown way outta proportion, due to the state of the western media who hyperventilate over natural bush fires i shouldnt b suprised.

even though the west nile virus if any1 has heard of it way back has infected thousands of amricans & killed hundreds it did not get that much coverage as this SARS is recieving. im waiting for the day that the breaking news will b "muslim terrorist linked to SARS outbreak".

this is a bit more scarier than AIDS though cuz its airbone & u dnt need to b engaging in no illicit contact to catch it....

i suppose this will spread round quickly, many ppl visit china & thiland & them places not just to check out the latest technology, but 2 also make themselves familliar with 13yr old rent boys.

may allah help us all, i guess this is another sign that judgement day is not too far.

oh by the way, a BIG hello to every 1, this is my 1st post & may it be the beginning of many more.

OG Moti   

Man being paranoid ??? Man I am paranoid and I have every reason to be so since i live in Asia and specially very close to the source of the desease, i am paranoid and i stop going out to places like resteraunts and even the market, i eat at home now and from my work to my house, and even when i am teaching i look at my students faces and if one of them sneezs or coughs i run like hell and go to the toilet and wash my face with soup .. man i carry a spray which i spry everytime i see someone suspecios.. man the damn thing kills u in 2 weeks.. so yes I am paraniod and I will be till i leave this country or the get cure beside i can not leave cause i am afread i might be trapped with someone who has it in the airplane ... smile.gif super paraniod haye,, hey i am not that paraniod but i have concerns walahi since i am in the middle of it, and i hate wearing masks i never did and will never do.. but inshaAllah Allah will protect us and protect all muslims.. peace

Kool_Kat   

LST, saas waaye miyaa...Hanoo imaanin hadaa rabtid...Toronto is the mostly deadly city in North America, ohh puhlease...Waligoodbo...A few ppl died of the damn virus, and Toronto is the deadliest city in North America miyaa...Come on now...You know the damn media is blowing everything out of proportion...And then we have hindi qurunbadan that bring us updates, ohh there's been another case of SARS...SO WHAT!!!

Excuse me if I sound little bitter...But this thing is getting out of hand and got everyone scared...

It is them Asian ppl who brought the virus here...Awal wasaqdooda iyo urkoodaa ka joogiweyney, markaasey cudur keenoow noogu sii daree...War yaa waxaan naga qabto...

OG, hadal haba dhihinbo adi...Horaa waxaa looyiri ninkii soo joog laga waayo, soo jiifaalaga helaa...How many times have I told you to leave that country...How many times have I said, I'll sponsor you here (as if it is any better)...Did you listen to me...Nooooooo...Kaxaa xaabihee hada...looooool

Deadly virus or not...When it's time for you to go, you're gonna go, regardless...That's the way I look at it...

Until they find a cure for this virus, I am home sick with headaches and have flue like symptoms...I'll even provide damn doctors notes...

Haduu qof idho yar iisoo dhowaadana, walee dhageey fareey aa ka dhaceyso...

Khayr   

Salaamz,

Ahhhh! This SARS thing would have come in handy for me when I was in Universit, considering that its Exam season.

I am curious, did any of the nomads who are in school take advantage of this SARS hysteria and delay and exam or two ;)

I am not even the least bit scared even with a cold and a headache lool.. im concerned though but i'm not scared. Inshallah i won't get it..

Shyhem I understand what you saying.. but

"i guess that means Millions will die before it gets to me."

you can't say that.. if Allah wills for it to happen to you, regardless of how strong your immune system is.. then by all means it shall.