Sign in to follow this  
Qodax Qorax

Where does the name SOMALIA come from?

Ismalura   

Moderters awal beey dhaheen waa are not neutral :confused:

I was told Somali is from the two words soo maal....as in go milk. I am not sure if it is true but I choose to believe it. I mean why not? Everyone makes their own truths....

abaayo, I am not talking about Somali, but the country called Somalia. Why didnt they name it, Somalistan, Somalistate or Somaliland.

They choose Somalia above Somaliland, because the Italians used to call the South, Italiana Somalia.

Aaliyyah   

^ actually back in the days every region in Somalia was called somaliland but with the addition of who was colonizing it at the time. (ie British Somaliland, Italan Somaliland, French Somaliland)...As for the word Somalia? cant say who named it no clue. But, as ismalura said it has a lot to say about the way somalis lived (ie nomadic ppl who valued milk) so i doubt the italians named our country Somalia. We were always somalis but nomadic so maybe if we never even had a name for our country and they said hey u somalis call ur country Somalia lool still doesnt mean they named us i mean we already considered ourselves somalis...they just took the initives to name our country if they did that is doubtful though...

Moderters awal beey dhaheen waa are not neutral [Confused]

lol Ismalura, no one is ever neutral. Everyone comes with their own opinion about things. So like where do you draw the line of whats wrong or right??...its always gonna be subjective.

salaam

Ismalura   

Oh ok. So the argument is not on the soo maal part. Markaas I have no idea what this other names are but the Italia thing makes sense.

@ Aaliyah I know no one is neutral in their views but when it comes moderating one could be unless some one breaks a rule. However, it says in the rules that "moderators are not neutral and have their own views" and even though I find that kinda strange I am ok with it. At least they say it up front.

Originally posted by Aaliyyah:

^ actually back in the days every region in Somalia was called somaliland but with the addition of who was colonizing it at the time. (ie British Somaliland, Italan Somaliland, French Somaliland)...As for the word Somalia? cant say who named it no clue.

The Italian called the South region Somalia Italiana , the British called in Italian Somaliland.