Sign in to follow this  
SeeKer

Where is my Embryo?

SeeKer   

It was a phone call anyone struggling to conceive a child would dread.

The hospital handling Kim Whitney's in vitro fertilization was on the line. The process was the only chance for Whitney, 26, and her husband to have a second biological child.

"My husband was working," Whitney said. "I was actually doing dishes when our phone rang."

Whitney assumed the call was to schedule the embryo transfer.

Instead, "the doctor at Ochsner called us and notified [us] that they couldn't locate our embryos," Whitney said, while letting out a loud sigh. "He just said he couldn't find them."

The past year or so I have been bouncing this idea in my head i.e. conceiving a child scientifically that is. It is a considerable investment upwards of about 10K per treatment. More and more these stories put a damper on its actualization. What kind of business do these people run when they can't even figure out whose eggs belong to who or impregnate someone else's child in a womb that is not its mother's? :mad:

Indhoos   

^^^You were considering to conceive a child scientifically?

It is scary and you are right that there are more mishaps with these procedures. Was it not on the news the other, a couple whose embryo was placed in another recipient? This had a happy ending because the lady who received the wrong embryo decided to give the baby to the biological family after she gave birth.

SeeKer   

^Never seen you at a loss for opinion.

Indhoos, possibly. I have mapped out scenarios on how my parents will react! icon_razz.gif

SeeKer   

^ Just because I get rid of all the fluff. It is borderline nuts especially with advanced gene manipulations but say you had one shot to have a child, and there is a few disease that both parents have that you don't want a child to have. Would you be open to someone going through the set of genes and selecting the ones you need? That is sorta what I am implying when I say scientific.

Indhoos, its not the shock factor that bothers me but the level of acceptance. It would require a stretching of the relationship fabric don't you think?

chubacka   

I don't think I would, if the child is born with a disease, that was its' fate, I could no more prevent it than I could fly.

But dnt give yourself a headache thinking about things that might never happen. smile.gif

chubacka   

wouldn't necessarily call myself a "fatalist" either, will do anything within reason for the health of the baby etc or to change whatever specific events but at some level we do have to accept there are many things out of our control.

SeeKer   

^ Interesting that you would use the term 'within reason'. I am curious as to what are the parameters of reason.

Yes, indeed there are certain things out of our control as there is certain knowledge we might never know but should that then still progression? Shouldn't we push against the boundary and see if we can move it a couple inches or so?