Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Niqab controversy -- again!

A YouTube video showing two niqab-wearing Muslim women being allowed to board a flight at Montreal airport without being subjected to any security checks has outraged Canadians. - Sify.com

VIDEO

The incident, which was captured by a British passenger of Air Canada's flight from Montreal to Heathrow last month, violates international standards which require airport check-in staff to see the faces of passengers who board their flights.

In the video, a man accompanying the veiled women is shown handing over their passports to the check-in staff who then let the women pass through without asking them to remove their veils as required by rules.

Posted under the title 'A major Canadian airline risks your safety, pandering to Muslim sensibilities,' the video - with titles and soundtrack - drew thousands of hits and racist comments, vilifying Canadian leaders for 'political correctness'.

As Canadians expressed their outrage at the lax security at their airports, Transport Minister John Baird Sunday ordered an investigation into the incident.

Calling the incident 'deeply disturbing'', the minister said such neglect poses a serious threat to the security of the air travelling public.

'I have instructed my department to immediately look into this matter and report back. If our current security policies in this area are deemed to be lacking, our government will take the necessary steps to protect the safety and security of the travelling public,'' the minister said.

Niqab has become a big issue in Canada after French-speaking province Quebec banned it in March, denying all government services to women wearing the veil.

The action followed protests triggered by an Egyptian immigrant's refusal to remove her niqab in her French languages classes in Montreal, forcing the school and the provincial government to throw her out. It was the first such step in North America to curtail any religious dress.

Election Canada also ruled in 2007 to allow veiled women to cast their ballot, forcing the government to introduce a bill to overturn it.

Canada has more than one million Muslims in its population of 34 million, and their population is expected to triple in the next two decades.

Though a majority of Canadian Muslim women don't wear the hijab or niqab, the veil is now quite visible in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver where most Muslim immigrants live.

First of all, its reasonable to assume that the subjects in the video went through extensive checkpoints and searches before they made it to the gate and proceeded to board the plane.

That being said, I don't know the day to day job of a desk attendant, which may or may not mean that her duty is to simply check the boarding pass of passengers before boarding for any clerical errors. Her main task may not be PROFILER IN ChIEF, which is it to check the faces of passengers, instead her job could be to simply allow the boarding to go smoothly and match the gate# with the said boarding pass and etc, in which case the poster of the video jumped to conclusions.

Canadian transportation authority are good at what they do and I thank them for keeping us all safe. I'm sure this was a video taken out of context as we are not seeing anything more than a desk attendant checking boarding passes, profiling maybe above her pay grade. In this case, I refuse to rush to judgment.

If you have been through an airport, you will know that as passengers, we have to empty our pockets, put all of our contents in a container, take our shoes off and go through the x-ray machine,(some are subject to random profiling especially if you fit the jihadi profile or if u are just a douchebag, either way, you will be scrutinized) its that simple. Niqab or no Niqab, everyone goes through the same checkpoints and in between that and the moment you enter the airport, there are plain clothes officers searching and profiling and if you have not spotted one yourself, you are a fool.

Also, the source that Sanka shared is misinformed about the banning of the niqab in Quebec. Last I checked, Bill 94 was making its way through the Quebec National Assembly with its first reading and ever since then the bill was halted for reasons obvious to the competing interest at the local level but thats neither here or there.

The battle is still being waged, Insha allah, in time, God willing NIQAB WILL BE BANNED FROM ALL CORNERS OF THE WORLD.

FatB   

lools take your shoes off - what airline are you flying with?

er.. LG ur not a niqab fan then i take it? Y?

Kool_Kat   

People go through security checks way before reaching the gate to the airplane! What's this fool on about? If that's the gate to let passengers board their flight, then they've already been through security check, which is why their passports aren't being asked at this point...Koley sidaa bey anigu iigula egtahay...

BUKURR   

Originally posted by LayZie G.:

First of all, its reasonable to assume that the subjects in the video went through extensive checkpoints and searches before they made it to the gate and proceeded to board the plane.

That being said, I don't know the day to day job of a desk attendant, which may or may not mean that her duty is to simply check the boarding pass of passengers before boarding for any clerical errors. Her main task may not be PROFILER IN ChIEF, which is it to check the faces of passengers, instead her job could be to simply allow the boarding to go smoothly and match the gate# with the said boarding pass and etc, in which case the poster of the video jumped to conclusions.

Canadian transportation authority are good at what they do and I thank them for keeping us all safe. I'm sure this was a video taken out of context as we are not seeing anything more than a desk attendant checking boarding passes, profiling maybe above her pay grade. In this case, I refuse to rush to judgment.

If you have been through an airport, you will know that as passengers, we have to empty our pockets, put all of our contents in a container, take our shoes off and go through the x-ray machine,(some are subject to random profiling especially if you fit the jihadi profile or if u are just a douchebag, either way, you will be scrutinized) its that simple. Niqab or no Niqab, everyone goes through the same checkpoints and in between that and the moment you enter the airport, there are plain clothes officers searching and profiling and if you have not spotted one yourself, you are a fool.

Also, the source that Sanka shared is misinformed about the banning of the niqab in Quebec. Last I checked, Bill 94 was making its way through the Quebec National Assembly with its first reading and ever since then the bill was halted for reasons obvious to the competing interest at the local level but thats neither here or there.

The battle is still being waged, Insha allah, in time, God willing NIQAB WILL BE BANNED FROM ALL CORNERS OF THE WORLD.

You have a great point and I admire your thinking. God bless you!

NASSIR   

Read Samuel Huntington's post cold war essay to understand the source of all this fuss or better yet the constructivist theory can explain how cultural wars are created and perpetuated to advance some ideal goal of global domination.

Basically, Huntington saw the economic integration,(Saudi exports more barrels of oil to China than the United States) technology exchange and military cooperation of the Confucian-Islam civilization.

The west had to immediately act, under-cut this natural process, establish military bases all over the Middle East and South East Asia, and advance the globalization of Western culture and products , not to mention the Westernization of the countries of the former Soviet block and Latin America.....

nemo   

HUH??? Am I reading this right?

PS I agree with the rest of the post, true indeed.

Ibtisam   

I spoke too soon. Lazy is here up to her old trick.

The strange thing that happened to me, last week I got a on a flight from Syria. There Arab Niqab women everywhere getting on flights with a mahrum with them. NONE of them were asked to take it off to show their face, BUT when I went through security they made me go and photocopy my passport and three different people came to stare at my face!! WHT.

I assume because Somalis do stuff and require extra attention. They kept asking me if originally I was Somali and then staring at me.

Article is nonsense, as posters said above, you don’t even need your passport at that stage, so what is she suppose to compare her face too. You just need your boarding ticket.

Juxa   

it is naughty of them asking you where you came from originally. just mention some tuulo they will leave you alone

The Zack   

Originally posted by BUKURR:

God bless you!

Which god? :D:D

P.s. not everyone you talk to on SOL believes in the same god.

:eek: :eek:

Acuudu bilaahi an akuunu minal jahiliiin.

Ibtisam   

JUXA on my passport, it just says BURCO, so they have no idea where to take that. Next time I will tell them it is a remote village in England. :D