Sign in to follow this  
Ms DD

Music with Chewing Qat Stress Relievers for Some

Ms DD   

Music with Chewing Qat Stress Relievers for Some

Written By: Moneer Al-Omari (YEMEN POST STAFF)

Article Date: December 22, 2008

The rate of people suffering from endless frustration has been increasing over the years which in return made the need for some forms of stress management tools that people can use daily necessary.

Many people started to look at music and qat as their preferable therapy. When merging both, stress tends to decrease, at least for a while, as qat chewers enjoy time far away from the problems of everyday life in Yemen. "Stress goes away while I listen to music and chew qat", said 18 years old Akram Mogbil Ahmed. "When I chew qat, I must listen to music. If there is no music, I go sit in my car and listen to cassettes", he added.

Women are not left out as young ones prefer to listen to Sana'ani music while chewing qat. They believe that Sana'ani songs are affectionate and have admirable melodies.

The new generation of teens who chew are crazy about Gulf music while chewing. "When I listen to modern music I have a lot of fun, but when I listen to traditional music, I don’t feel the same," said 21 year old and Thamar University student, Fadl Ahmed Yahya.

Even those who have religious backgrounds have their share in the matter but in a different way. They tend to listen to singers who lead the nasheed (Islamic music), for the reason that the songs address real-life concerns, and open a new scene for youth to follow religious guidelines. Older versions of nasheed are still around, especially ones that focus on sadness themes.

A qat session doesn’t always include music nor is music always required when chewing qat, but for many who chew qat alone, they enjoy listening to music. “When alone, it is almost impossible to chew without music. It is the companion that does not bother you,” said Muneef Saleh Al-Ariki, a unuversity graduate, who has not found a job four years after graduating.

Young people nowadays even chew qat in their cars, and in some cases would not hesitate to open their car windows and shout songs out loudly.

Sociologists pointed out that music motivates brain activity that corresponds to the sound of the music. They also explained that music enables the brain to move into a calm state easily.

Unfortunately, this phenomenon can be very negative for children, adolescents, and adults in the near future, for it can be a tool to ignore responsibilities and live life freely. "When I have a bad day, why not sit back and relax myself by putting my favorite song and chew qat," said 16 year old student Hiash Faisal.

Medically, many people throughout the country have internal illnesses; however, ulcers and heart attacks are the major illnesses people have as a result of stress.

In the past, Islamic songs were restricted to spirituals performances on some occasions such as childbirth, deaths, and other religious celebrations. However, throughout the past 10 years, nasheed began addressing not only religion, but also public life and social problems as well.

From a religious point of view, Islamic Law professor and former head of the Faculty of Law Sana'a University Hassan Al-Ahdel stated that a song that includes musical instruments or describes a woman's body in the way that raises the desire of a man is forbidden in Islam.

Further, Al-Ahdel added that songs that don't include music and encourage soldiers to fight in the sake of the country are allowed in Islam.

Meanwhile, he added that if people are mentally ill, and are advised to listen to music then it's allowed for medical reasons.

source

Malika   

^They sure do look like they are having a good time,reminicing on probably an illusion of love and what not..heh,the one gacamahaa tagtageyaa is a hopeless romantic, inuu duulo ayuu rabaa baa..Lol

Paragon   

^Waxbuu soo xasuustay show? I think he's even crying... qiirada plus marqaan waa explossive mix :D

'In kastoo warkayguba

Waabay qadhaadhiyo

Warma kaaga daran yahay...

Inaan weli ku jecelahay

Weeydii dadkaba qaadh!'

Axyaa caleek Gaacayte! Who wouldn't feel taken back to earlier (glorious romantic) times :D .

NGONGE   

^^ You and Poker are missing the point. She's drooling over the singer, not the song. He could be singing in Chinese for all she cares. :D

Ms DD   

Sometimes I wonder whether Ngonge was a woman in previous life..

The dude is Gooorjos for sure. That is what I meant. He is surely wasted on singing for blokes in such close proximity.. :D