Sign in to follow this  
Dhagax-Tuur

In today's diaspora is there a common Maali culture?

I ask the question because I was on a visit to one of the Scandinavian countries, recently. As I often do, I like to get to know the city that I am visiting and avoid people showing me around at all costs. Just to challenge myself without any harm or inconvenience to myself. It is something that I do, and I like doing. It was the second day of my visit and i was travelling from Point A to B in the City. I was travelling on the Metro and it was late in the evening, about 23:15hours, the train terminated before my destination. So, I had to change. Even though, I was trying hard not to ask anyone for help, and the locals are not so outgoing, I suddenly spotted a Maali girl on the platform, few metres away. Manna from heaven, eh? You would think so!. I approached with good manners and politely told her that I was not from these shores and asked for clarification of whether there will be a train to where I was going. What surprised me most was her body language when I was asking her the question. I guarantee you, I am not the least presentable guy and my manners were no where near abnormal. The young lady in her early twenties with qimaar responded so like a local. No difference whatsoever. No traits of Somaliness. She cautiously answered my question looking at me with scary eyes and totally not anything like a Maali. I didn't want to start any conversation as I saw her condition. And to make matters even worse, she escaped to the other end of the platform, after a while. Which has left me with this feeling which brought about me to question: Is there a common Maali tradition left anymore? We have come to know somalis identify with each other and behave somalis when they set eyes on each other. Have we lost our tradition for good? Are we assimilating faster than we can even recognise in ourselves? Or is this unique to Scandinavia? I am sure we do not have people with such characteristics in the UK, where I lived for a while, unless one's been outright rude.

Has it happened to you, nomads? Is this something you have spotted in local maalis in your travels?

Your takes, please.

N.O.R.F   

Has it happened to you, nomads? Is this something you have spotted in local maalis in your travels?

Its probably only the girl you asked for directions. From personal experience, when coming across fellow nomads on my travels, they have been the complete opposite. Invitations to eat out, to be shown around the full works. I think she just though you was tryin it :D with the oldest line in the world :D

What were you expecting? Perhaps a ‘welcome to the country hug’? Maybe in sheekada laguu dheereeyo, long enough to find out her history and personal links…and if you’re super lucky – how you could possibly be related!

You asked for direction, you were given directions. Just ‘cause you’re a Somali doesn’t mean you’re family nor does it warrant any special treatment. You’re a stranger, she treated you like one. Basics of protection mate.

Be grateful she even spoke to you and move along Geel-Jire. icon_razz.gif

p.s. I went to get my lunch 2hrs ago and saw a Somali guy waiting for an interview. He seemed anxious and I felt, he expected me to approach him and say something…but I just couldn’t. Although Somali, it feels awkward.

^ that was the last thing on my mind. I never NEVER try cheesy lines with respectable sisters. I would rather be myself than otherwise. I was actually little bit annoyed by other stuff on my head at the time. And I am sure that did not manifest itself on my face as i genuinely needed the assistance. It is down to changing culture and people. That is my take.

"eating out and being shown around" - that happens between people who know each other. Not absolute strangers.

But why are you taking my point out of its context? Completely turning it around. For what purpose? Try to be little bit more constructive, and less victious, bro. Or, is the general rule, observe and pass by!

You asked for direction, you were given directions. Just ‘cause you’re a Somali doesn’t mean you’re family nor does it warrant any special treatment. You’re a stranger, she treated you like one. Basics of protection mate.

I clearly stated in the thread the loss of culture. There is something unique about somali-da, just in case you are not familiar with. Tell me, honestly, if you don't feel aware of yourself, particularly,if you are not doing the right thing, when you spot a Somali in a crowd? Why do Somali people avoid each other in clubs and whenever they are into their mischeives. Don't tell me you do not long for what is part and parcel of you. You are somali, therefore you behave and act like a somali. And expect other somalis to behave the same. Therefore, when you notice a difference in one of your falks, you would become concious of it and question. Do not deny the facts, falks, please.

it does not matter where on the face of this earth i be, I will always act according to my values and my culture without leaving out the general etiquettes.

Damn, what is wrong with this people! How come you don't get this simple point. You seem to be either lost about it or distorting it.

Let me put it this way. I was in London, few wks back, on a bus. This somali guy comes on the upper deck. Young and recently got there from Somalia . He started off with me just like you would expect from a somali and i did not alienate him, make him uncomfy and this guy was way too extreme. He was behaving as though he knew for ages. I have taken the opportunity to honor my culture and how my people behave. But for this young lady, I have behaved perfectly humane and none somali like whatsoever, yet she treated me so un-like a somali.

If you do that, and condone it, God help us!

Faheema.   

Firstly, please do NOT use Mali to describe Somali people; they are two different people that live on the opposite sides of Africa. You can't possibly mistake a Mali for a Somali...so get use to saying SOMALI . ;)

Secondly, as Kale said just because you’re Somali it doesn’t mean you get special treatment. It is NOT down to the culture and people…it’s down to your surroundings. You see/hear all sorts of things happening in these western countries…. at the end of the day stranger is a stranger.

Sky   

Bro, did it occur to you that she may be Ethiopian? It happens to me all the time. I always mistake Ethiopians/Eritreans with Somalis. I always greet Somalis I dont know or start a conversation if were both waiting, if it happens to be non-Somali. Well than at least I greeted, that gives you ajar.

I did experience a horror one time. I came across a Somali mother and her daughter. I greeted them in the utmost polite way. What did they do? They ignored me. Ive never seen Somalis like that in my life.

And no even tho I assume, Im 100% positive they were Somali. And besides you dont have to be Somali, to understand salaam caleykum. I was so mad that day. They broke my good mood.

No traits of Somaliness. She cautiously answered my question looking at me with scary eyes and totally not anything like a Maali.

What Somali trait? Which Somali ‘trait’ tells you to smile and be nice to strangers at that time of the night, being a woman?

Brother, you need to look at the situation from her side. This is really not a questions of Somalinimo or Somali hospitality. Its a matter of being cautious.

p.s. The reaction might have been more courteous if you were a woman.

N.O.R.F   

"eating out and being shown around" - that happens between people who know each other. Not absolute strangers.

Believe me it did happen, even though they were strangers they took us out for a light meal and cup of cappucino in Chatelet :cool:

But why are you taking my point out of its context? Completely turning it around. For what purpose? Try to be little bit more constructive, and less victious, bro. Or, is the general rule, observe and pass by!

I would if i thought it reqd a constructive answer. I just think your taking it to over board. It happens, get over it.

ps i hate the word maali when in reference to Somalis

Saalixa   

Geel jiree

I will have to disagree. If the girl didn't answer you then yes you are faultless but she did give you correct directions right? And who is she to know you are a somali? Did you speak to her in English or not? And even if she did prolong with you then being a typical nomad you would have still critisezed her for being chatty and talkative somali girl with no manners and adaab? Yes common you somali males always look for faults in us but you don't know these days we are becoming sensitive and smart. So the girl did what i would have done (not with scary eyes though) and go on the other side of the railway station.

Don't you listen to Sheikh Umal's talks may he be rewarded. When he describes the sinful, ignorant somali tradition we have back home. you know sometimes i think we are more religious in the diaspora. He says a stranger male will come to your home and you will serve him tea and maanta dhan waxa la wadi sheekada like you are under correct wedlock or relation aboowe iyo inaader ba maanta dhan laa dhihi. All the walaalo and aboowe/abaayo is all wrong and a sinfull tradition that was normalised. Sheekada maha iin laga kordhiyo Asalmu Aleykum and *****kuma salaam. And you go your way and i go mine. That is the islamic behaviour, not a westernized one.

You know, that is the epitome of ISMACNEES among the Maali, err Somali Sisters.

Had that been a non somali who approached her as respectfully as G.Jire did, I bet you on my last bite of this delicious Chicken sandwich, that she will not only give directions, but probably even volunteer to tell him ‘oh I will show you, am going that way anyway’.

I don’t think Geel Jire was shocked of her non-Somali traits, but rather the ‘facial expressions’ she gave him. Although I will not bet on it, am sure she gave the classic SUURO face.

What is so dangerous about being friendly or respectful to a fellow human being, a fellow Somali?

They need to give themselves and others a break. Someone should tell them to get off the high horse.

To answer your Q, yes it did happen to me.

I said Asalaam Aleykum to this girl, and she forced a rather weak salaam back at me, while facing the other way. She might have been in a bad mood, God knows. I just kept quite.

All I wanted to ask was if there was a SOMALI shop around the neighborhood!

I was THIS Ҡclose to giving her a lecture, but the cool in me prevailed.

Sky   

geeljire, I agree with you Somalis should give their own people a different treatment than non-Somalis. And you were clearly not local and there is a Somali commandment that we take very seriously: Martida waa la sooraa! . We are the only people that call strangers adeer, eedo etc. which shows that we are tightly knit as a people. we are one big family.

calaa kuli xaal, unfortunately there are some extremely shy and timid ladies out there who always think the worst. So she was prolly scared of you and quickly answered what you wanted to know before in her mind you would take it to the next level if you know what im saying. ;)icon_razz.gif

I said Asalaam Aleykum to this girl, and she forced a rather weak salaam back at me, while facing the other way. She might have been in a bad mood, God knows. I just kept quite.

All I wanted to ask was if there was a SOMALI shop around the neighborhood!

I was THIS Ҡclose to giving her a lecture, but the cool in me prevailed.

These girls need to be sent to Somalia for real.

its funny, I went to the KFC with some friends after school. And I encountered 3 somali girls sitting in a corner eating a twister. Two were faced towards me and could clearly see me and the other one had her back towards me. I did my duty as a Somali and greeted these girls. They returned a rather weak salaam back. we ordered some food and before i know it, the girl that didnt see me invited me to sit with them. i immedeately saw the SUURO face on two girls and I was reluctant. to my amazement this girl was beautiful, while the other two were ugly. I excused myself with my homies and the girl that invited me over and I talked for hours while her bimbo girlfriends were quiet or talking to each other. I was impressed with her warm character and her beauty and we happened to know the exact same people.

Miriam1   

Kaleidoscopic I was just wondering, did u feel uncomfortable about speaking to the somali guy waiting for an interview, because you thought it wasn't right to speak to him since your an employee and he is looking for work at the same place, for it would not look right with your employer or was it just simple awkwardness? I am just curious to know. I have been in both situtations before, from the view of an anxious interviewee and that of the employee.

Castro   

I was travelling on the Metro and it was late in the evening, about 23:15hours, the train terminated before my destination.

Dude, don't be so paranoid. The fact that it's almost midnight has a lot to do with it. She was probably thinking, Somali or not, that dude better not be coming my way this late at night in a train station. Fear for her safety would be the biggest concern. And just because you're a Somali, does not mean you have no ill intentions.

I hope she answered your question regarding the train, since not doing so would be considered rude. Other than that she owes you nada. Not a smile, no conversation, no nothing. And going over to the other side of the platform is a safety measure on her part. Don't take it personal.

I hope you enjoyed your trip out there. I hear it's beautiful.

Ofleh

Zumurrud,

It was out of awkwardness. I was actually happy to see him and wanted to prep him up for the interview and welcome him ... but then I remembered how Faarax's take every kind gesture as a 'come on' and the thought I might have to work with him crept it....

.... I decided silence is golden indeed. Time will tell. If would be nice if he got the job. smile.gif

LOL@the rejected faaraxs Afromali n Sky. (what a lovely Story Sky redface.gif ) icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif