Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

How Sammy Sosa Went Back to Black

Sammy Sosa caused quite a stir last year when he showed up at the Latin Grammy’s with a jarringly lighter skin complexion. But as of last weekend, it seems Sammy has gone back to black.

It has some people questioning how a cream so powerful that it can bleach your entire face could wear off so completely--and so quickly.

Is it really possible? Absolutely.

Whether you’re using a prescription bleaching cream or an over-the-counter variety, there are no creams on the market that can permanently lighten your complexion. Sure, using bleaching creams repeatedly over a short period of time could give you the Sammy Sosa effect. But soon after you stop using them, your skin reverts back to its natural color. The real irony is that long-term abuse of many bleaching creams can actually lead to ochronosis--a darkening and thickening of the skin. So how do the creams work?

web page

Kids on race

(CNN) - A 5-year-old girl in Georgia is being asked a series of questions in her school library. The girl, who is white, is looking at pictures of five cartoons of girls, all identical except for skin color ranging from light to dark.

When asked who the smart child is, she points to a light-skinned doll. When asked who the mean child is she points to a dark-skinned doll. She says a white child is good because "I think she looks like me", and says the black child is ugly because "she's a lot darker."

As she answers her mother watches, and gently weeps.

Her daughter is taking part in a new CNN pilot study on children's attitudes on race and her answers actually reflect one of the major findings of the study, that white children have an overwhelming bias toward white, and that black children also have a bias toward white but not nearly as strong as the bias shown by the white children.

Renowned child psychologist and University of Chicago professor Margaret Beale Spencer, a leading researcher in the field of child development, was hired as a consultant by CNN. She designed the pilot study and used a team of three psychologists to implement it: two testers to execute the study and a statistician to help analyze the results.

BUKURR   

Comparing the two pic's, the guy looks not so handsome with the lighter skin, but damn it, what is wrong with people.

The real irony is that long-term abuse of many bleaching creams can actually lead to ochronosis--a darkening and thickening of the skin. And me, i will never touch a xalimoo that uses this cream. I like my home-gal black and beautiful!

Here is what the results are:

Ochronosis, often called alkaptonuric ochronosis,[1] is an autosomal recessive metabolic disorder that causes an excess of homogentisic acid, resulting in adverse pigmentation, calcification, and inflammation of cartilaginous and related tissue throughout the body.[2]:542

The disorder is a result of incomplete metabolism of homogentisic acid, tyrosine and phenylalanine.

The face, skeletal system, cardiovascular system,[3] respiratory system, urinary system and to a lesser degree, the skin, are affected by this disease

Pigmented cartilage may appear blue due to a light scattering phenomenon (Tyndall effect), and to a lesser degree this may be true for skin with dermal deposition of this pigment. The skin of the axilla is very likely to be pigmented due to deposits of homogentisic acid in sudoriferous glands in these areas.[1] The clinical features of this metabolic disorder are dark urine, pigmentation of the skin and arthritis. Particularly helpful is the almost constant presence of a patch of pigmentation (gray to brown in color) in the sclera, between the margin of the cornea and the outer or inner canthus. Because of the bluish color produced by the deep pigmentation, this condition may be confused with argyria. Early arthritis is the most common presentation of ochronosis.

OMG! He looks disgusting in a white skin. The study was interesting. It used the premises of another experiment(conducted sometime in 1970's) that compared black dolls to white dolls where ALL the children black and white agreed overwhelming that the white doll is prettier, purer and more fun.

Aaliyyah   

akh I hate people who bleach their skin. Am sure many somali ladies can relate to this, walahi u would go to a wedding and it looks like in ay daqiiqa wajiga so gashteen...they think they look hot but yaa u sheega otherwise.

People should embrace their skin color..

As for the studies done on race I remember watching similar video in one of my psych classes to the one C& H mentioned if it wasn't the same. It was pertaining different race dolls and children views on which one looks better or smarter.It is amazing how young kids already have preconceived notion of which skin color is superior and smarter. Heart breakin!

salaam