Sign in to follow this  
SeeKer

Sleep Depravation

chubacka   

I have friends who are always up at 2 at night and seem fine the next day. Not sure how they do it.

I feel immensly wronged if I dnt get at least 6 hours a night.

Oz   

I only slept 5 hrs last night watching the last two WC matches. Thank GOD it's queens birthday today.

Originally posted by Abdiladiif:

I could sleep 8 or 9 hours and still feel tired when I wakeup!My doc was sure I was depressed but ate his words when the result came back.

Poor abdiladiif My doctor thought I was depressed too (tiredness a sign of depression), seriously laakin check your vitamin D levels. You need to start taking Vitamin D tablets as soon as possible. Like yourself I would sleep for 10 hours and still be tired. My mother diagnosed me, she insisted I was vitamin D deficient. My iron levels were fine, I was not anaemic. Anaemia can lead to tiredness. I went to the doctor I asked him to check my vitamin D levels and the result was shocking it was below 'detectable' levels. I have been on vitamin D levels for 2 months and I feel fully-charged. I sleep for 6 hours and I am not tired.

I highly recommend you see a doctor.

Majority of Somali men and Women are Vitamin D deficient. The Somali community in general have a high birth rate of Autism especially those in America and studies are linking this with Vitamin D deficiency. So its worth the check aboowe.

What a fitting thread. It is so late, and I can't get a wink at all thanks to my sleep pattern being disrupted. Now, that is my problem.

So long as I have a pattern I will have a good 7-8 hours, even though I would love less and function normal or preferably better than normal, but that would be a stretch for me.

I have tried to push myself by basically depriving of much needed sleep, but that catches up with me when I am in minimum motioning state, i.e., sitting and so on.

The only way that I can treat a disrupted sleep pattern is by forcing myself to deprive myself of sleep in one night and try to correct the wrong the following few nights.

^Thanks for the info GG. The doc actually said my iron level was fine. I made a point to get some Vitamin D but I keep forgetting. The other thing is, I meant to go t a sleep test but haven't been able to do that so far. InshaAllah will do that in the near future.

SeeKer   

My the spectrum of sleep cycles are interesting. Nuune are you in MI5? you trained yourself?

People who suffer from insomnia also suffer from depression and obesity @ GaroweGal and Abdilatif.

Dhagax Tuur what you are describing is called a sleep debt. Most of the time its bad habits that lead to insomnia like engaging in stimulating activity before bed eg being on computer or watching TV. Beds should be climbed into only when you are ready to sleep, one shouldn't lie in bed to read because then your body doesn't learn to signal to the brain that when your body is supine it wants to sleep. For others drinking warm drinks before bed helps, whilst others prefer to engage in strenuous exercises followed by a warm shower.

What things do you do when you are trying to coax the sand man to visit?

^^Nothing outta the ordinary really. My problem is once my sleep pattern gets messed, my sleep suffers. In order to get that back, I've to deprive myself of sleep when I want to get sleep when I want and wake up when I want to.

Chimera   

12hrs of sleep is disgusting since you only stay awake for two hours before you clock in another 5 hours of sleep. There is an internal switch that can go either way, some sleep too much even if they want to stay awake, and others don't sleep enough evendo they daydream non-stop, you need to find a balance.

Every hour before midnight according to my mom equals two hours, and since what she says is always right, that means if you sleep at eleven and then wake up at 6, you will have slept 8hrs, which is perfect.

Juxa   

somehow i find myself half sleep, half awake most of the time

5 hours in plenty of sleep, as you get older your requirement changes but that is hardly an illness itself

NGONGE   

Every few weeks I would do sixteen hours sleep and wake up to potter about, watch tv, eat and then go back to do another four or five. But that, as I tell everyone who comments "wa inta la igu lahaa". Normally though I sleep for five or six hours at the most. Last night I only did four.

N.O.R.F   

Intii lagugu laha mise intii aad adigu 'hurdo' ku laheed?

16 hrs is way too much even when owed sleep 10 hrs is more than enough.

I like the after travel haven't slept sleep. Knocked out kind.

The longest i slept so far is 13 hours straight ,,,, but i had to take pain killers as soon as i wake up coz i can't resist the headache comes after that long sleep.