Sign in to follow this  
QUANTUM LEAP

Red Nose Video from Somaliland

There I was watching BBC when suddenly I stumbled on this old man explaining a situation where he had apatient who HE couldnt take tO hospital because he couldnt afford to pay for the treatment and had surrendered to the poor woman to die.

A girl who fell into apit hole broke both her legs and was taken to hospital only to be told that she wouldnt be treated bse the family had no money and was returning home. She later died.

What a shame to view such horrible and heartbreaking scenes in this day and age. I had some hopes before for Somalis but having viewed that program and seing someone with broken legs dying bse they couldnt afford it really broke ma heart at the sametime reminded me where we are today interms of self help.

IN THE GUTTERS!!

AUN   

Yes it was to most unpleasant programme to watch indeed a depressing to see Somali people in that situation. After watching briefly I could not continue it and nearly switched off when my friends objected to it. I believed that the northwest (Somaliland) was the most decent area in Somalia but this programme made me think deeply of how the situation could be in other areas of Somalia

That programme was like a bucket of ice-water being thrown over me. Shocking as hell and very painful. A few shillings over human life? Those doctors made me feel physically ill.

Funnily enough, we watched the programme as a family (don't do this too often) and some of my sisters started crying right from the start at the sight of children in pain (broken arms being mended without anaesthetic). Then Connelly anounced that Hodan (a beautiful 18 yr old, who had fallen into a hole and broken both legs) had unfortunately died 2 days after she was taken from the hospital (Allah ha u naxariisto) and even my mum started to cry. What moved me the most tho, was the story of Maxamed and his wife Bar. They have 7 children and she is dying from an incurable disease. Altho they didn't have any money (he had to borrow the money to bring her in to hospital) and he needed to work, he spent all his time at her bedside. The bewildered look on his face is burned into my memory. I don't think I'll ever forget it.

I was aware of the difficulties people were facing back home, but I never quite grasped the sheer size of the problems. And the suffering...I never realised there was so much suffering, so many tragedies and yet at the end of the day, they thank Allah, smile and get on with life. Watching that prog. has changed my perception forever...I'm so proud of my people.

Haashim   

i've been to Somalia 2 and half years back after long period of abroad. what i wondered is not only the suffer and the poverty of our people but the many people who visited same place that i visited and saw the same people and the same buildings enz. and yet saying Somalia is a good place to live and the people get freedom that they don't have when there was a goverment enz.

It is true that very few live in very high prosperity in Somalia but you can never measure our people to these very few people.

I can't understand how one can see these minority people and ignore vast majority people who are suffering 12 years of these jahilya war and even before that.

What we have seen in that film was an example of how our people are suffering and their so-called leaders are trying to sustain this situation so that they can gain the most benefit at the expense of these impoverish people.

The question is are we better than these warlords? or we are the part of the problem? if every one of us says i'm not taking part who's the trigger then?

MAANAA WAALAN MISE CADAN BAA LAGA HEESAYAA HORTA

Curly   

I only managed to watch the first half of the comic relief documentary and I couldn't stomach watching the rest. :( But one thing i can't get over is that when people ask me about Somalia I usually say it's really nice place and that it's slowly but surely rebuilding itself, and that’s what I genuinely thought after I went to Somali in the summer of 2002. Now I don't think I can say that without thinking of the deprived areas of Somalia the Somali people are so willing to hide just so you can go back to U.K. and say:

"I really enjoyed Somalia! I might even go back next summer"

N.O.R.F   

curly sue, i'm in the same position as u, ie goin home and coming back impressed as to how much progress is being made. This prog shocked the whole uk somali community and i'm sure many others have heard the news in other parts of the world.

no health system, education system, policing system, welfare system, then u walk down central hargeisa and see all these multi story buildings and power stations. The govt and ppl in general who have money,home or abroad, have more or less adopted the principals of capitalism and forgotten about the poor and the needy, this i hope has woken many of us from our dream and brought us back to reality with a thud!!!!

ScarFace   

THE T.V program was bullshit i watched it and it seeemed like somaliland wanted some SUPPORT so they went low and produced this T.V program for comic relieve i couldnt believe my eyes never has somalia been humilited on TELEVISION. they was beggin it i swear it was ****in disgusting. there's comic releive every year somalia neva came up on da subject so some idiots tried to BEG da british public in given money going round showin WOMEN GIVEN BIRTH dats ****in low and HARAAAM i couldnt beleive it.

all am sayin is somalia aint like dat there mite be minor problems but to go dis deep was disgraceful. next TIME somaliland government shud have da brain capacity to think before doing documentary about any somali ppl.........

DISGRACEEEEEEEE

SICK

NOT TRUE

****IN BEGGERS

IT WAS ALL A SET UP

Scareface Bruv i think your missing the point saxiib. I think Northner perhaps discribes best the feelings most of us would have expirenced whilst watching that programme

• no health system, education system, policing system, welfare system, then u walk down central hargeisa and see all these multi story buildings and power stations. The govt and ppl in general who have money,home or abroad, have more or less adopted the principals of capitalism and forgotten about the poor and the needy, this i hope has woken many of us from our dream and brought us back to reality with a thud!!!!
I mean My heart just Breaks just thinking about it :( i feel so ashamed and there is a level of guilt that i have now that i cant easily shake off.

We need to do something for our ppl back home. If this is what somaliland is, whilst it is in peace and stability...........i dread to think what the rest of somalia is like for the ppl still living back there

NinBrown   

Salama Calykum

I think I have to agree with Scarface on this piont... that this program was a begging exercise.. begging the british public.

Having worked in a hospital in somalia in the summer holiday of 2002.. the situation was very bad and would tear to everyones eyes.. but people helped each other and one who couldnt afford treatment.. lacag baa loo aruurinayay.. there was a collective resposibility.

And its hard for me to believe, that the girl who broke here legs left the hospital before they even put a cast on here leg...come on.

The situation is bad and similar to that shown on TV.. but that program was a begging exercise.

SoMa_InC   

Most of yall dont really get da issue....i know some mates of mine didnt watch da programme just coz it was from somaliland....walahi maliz got issuez dat serioulsy needz 2 get solved...whether itz somaliland, putland or whaever land, somalia is ur country n needz ya help n da only way we can acheive diz is by makin use of diz opportunity by educating our selvez n taking something back home.....seen mamaz giving birth at home wit unsterilised razors n shit...seen dat young beatiful lady giving up just coz she aint got da money 2 treat herself....bruv haw come u say itz something dat was made up by maliz...seen dat little boy (undercritical condition)getting 2 da hospital by walking 4 three good dayz....damn letz do something 4 da community.

It was kinda wake up call 4 all da maliz in uk thinking dat dey british n shit...

Scarface sometimes its better to accept the truth than deny facts. The video that was shown was reality hitting home and we should accept that we are too far away in terms of development. As long as we stay here not caring, eating breakfast, lunch, having good healthcare, sleeping comfortably and having all the leisure’s we can afford we wouldn’t be able to comprehend what those people on that documentary where going through. We have to understand the majority of our people are very poor and cant afford the next meal let alone Medicare. What is seen by most of you who go back out there is a front for those who send money for beautiful houses and business people who are there to make as much profit as possible. Its capitalism at its best. There is no government that really cares for these peoples needs and most of them have no one to speak for them. A few who are lucky have people out here who send them a bit of money to survive on. A healthy people mean a healthy country and a proud one at that. We have to try to work hard for our own sake and for the sake of the future that certainly looks bleak for the next generation.

Gediid   

Scarface

The problem is there and the Somaliland government does not have the resources to help out and if this program alleviates this in any way then I think it was worth it.If we in diaspora are not willing to help then I think we should not complain when someone else steps in.

ScarFace   

ayo somali/somaliland has got problems and we all know dat but wat am sayin is the way dey interpreted dat thru da documentary. its all fabrication na mean all bullshit couple of money hungary wankers came together and decided dey wud get money thru showin a woman given birth live on T.V(atleast dey cud have cut dat part off) and da location dey went to. yu can tell its a setup and YEA how can yu turn a gurl who's broken both of her legs away and say dey cant actually treat her and dey send her back home wer she die's couple of days later. COME OOOON yu seee da doctors did yu see how da ppl looked liked i swear dey even looked betta den da ones in da UK and da WEST.

pure shittyness somalia have a currupted system so no matter wat somalia will be in da dark for da next decade to come and dats da reality and facts......

SHAQSII ders no truth in dat documentary only couple of tings but da rest was pure fabrication all made up. I SWEAR poorer african countries dont go dat deep wen ASKIN for help from da RED NOSE RELIEVE..........

shujui-1 "If this is what somaliland is, whilst it is in peace and stability...........i dread to think what the rest of somalia is like for the ppl still living back there "

shujui-1 i think da rest of somalia is better if dats da tru somaliland dey keep braggin about.....

SCAR-FACE...WHA U SAYIN ,,BLUD...HEAR WHA YEA...I PERSONALLY WAS IN HARGEYSA 2001, FOR 2 WHOLE MONTHZ AND IT WAS NOTHING COMPARED TO WHAT THEY SHOWED ON THAT PROGRAM.

THE WHOLE PROGRAM IS FOR COMIC RELIEF MEANING THEY WANA SHOW THE HARSH REALITIES OF A WAR-RIDDEN PLACE, AND TO MAKE THE VIEWERS GET ALL EMOTIONAL. WALAHAI THEY HAVE SUCEDED, CUZ I GOT EMOTIONAL TO THE MAX, EVEN MY GRAN WHO WAS WATCHING WAS LIKE ,, laa-xawla -walaaqu watiin, SEEEEN,

THE FACT THAT THEY CHOSE THE MOST DEPRIVED PART OF THE LAND SHOWS THAT IT WAS A CHARITY SHOW, BUT THEN AGAIN AFTER ALL SOMALIA/SOMALILAND IS AFTER ALL A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY, U GET ME. BUT U KNOW THOSE PLACES DO EXIST AND PEOPLE DO LIVE LIKE THAT, I WISH I HAD SOME SUPER POWERS WALAAHI , AND I COULD DO SOMETHING WITH A IN A HOUR OR EVEN A DAY, BUT FOR NOW ALL I CAN DO IS DONATE, AND ONLY GOD KNOWS IF MY MONEY WILL REACH MY BROTHERS AN SISTERS BACK HOME,..