Sign in to follow this  
GM

I feel HOMESICK

GM   

i was strolling on the park today, just took sometime out, and while at the park, i saw on one side some people having good times, couples tuck together in a corner, a group of family members making tasty babaques. Few yards later i see a mam and dad and son who must have been about 2yrs tosing golf ball, the young boys stambles as he tried to outrun dad and sits up crying when he realised the dirt on his shirt. Everywhere i look in the park i see happy people enjoying with little worries, i see around people feeling top of the world, that they have it and i dont. Now i have been to parks before but this one gave me a strange feelings-homesick, i have never felt like this before. The mood and feelings were so strong that i decided and out of nowhere that i book a ticket and visit home next month for a long time. i will go, i will go and see mam, dad, and my relatives, i will go and take a stroll in the streets and outskits of my hometown, i will sit with my people and just talk with them, i long for this, ten year has been long, i cant wait to go now.

Any of you ever had such strong urges of homesick

Arawella   

About time, 10 years is definitely a long time.

You are quite right there is absolutely nothing more blissful then been among people you love and who reciprocate that feeling. I wish you a wonderful time and come back with lots of stories to tell us!

I have only been about 4 years in the west, let me just hit the ten year mark, then will talk on the table, best of luck good wishes to you

Bring beautiful stories from back home if there is any left...

Guhaad   

sxb i have that feeling everyday. everyday i walk out of my house, drive, use the public roads, have a glimpse at the gigantic posters and building, grocery stores, libraries, and observe the calmness and coolness of pedestrians that are crossing the road, i only wish for one thing. why couldn't this roads, houses, and buildings be in Somalia. just the other night, on the road, accompanied by friend, we drove by a lake. danbiga gadaashiis, i saw the same things you saw. at one moment the friend looked at me and asked how much i liked the view and lake, i said i could have enjoyed more and would have meant more to me if this was back home. but what the Jannah, lets have a good time. :cool:

Janna   

Hi GM, :D

I remember experiencing homesickness earlier this year and planned to visit Somalia. I believe homesickness to be a temporary feeling. If you look into it too much then consider it to become a major problem. However your feeling of homesickness is due to the distant between New Zealand and Somalia. :D GM, this feeling does not mean you are inadequate. :D

Going to visit family back home will definitely cure it. I personally am not ready to go back home just yet, perhaps when I graduate.

Baluug   

I can't feel homesick, cuz I'm home already. Although if possible, say within 10 years probably, if Muqdisho is finally safe enough, I plan to live there insha Allah.

Modesty   

I never felt like I belonged anywhere, I always had this emptiness in me to go somewhere different, and so that's why i decided to go visit Somalia. I really liked it, but one thing i learned is people no matter where they are, are all the same. When I came back to the west, I actually felt like i was more at home here, because weirdly enough I can relate more to the culture here in America, than Somalia. Insha'Allah I plan to go back to Somalia a couple years later to have a visit again, I really enjoyed my trip there. Wonderful people, with good hearts.

Som@li   

I felt homesick many times, and have been planin to go back for the last 12 years, Every year something comes up, I was determined to go this month, but again something came and i can't go. :mad:

Insha Allah,I am planin to go in November now.

I miss my country :(

One of the ways i learned to reduce homesick is help the somali communities and take part in functions.

BTW, How much time is enough for one to feel homesick free? One day, One week, One month?

GOod luck GM,

Originally posted by Modesty:

I actually felt like i was more at home here, because weirdly enough I can relate more to the culture here in America, than Somalia. Insha'Allah I plan to go back to Somalia a couple years later to have a visit again, I really enjoyed my trip there. Wonderful people, with good hearts.

N this is why many of us won't back I guess. We have definately changed. You change without even realising it, and soon enough you will find yourself to be stranger in your own land(when you do go back). Lets hope, the Somali in us never leaves.

Modesty   

Yo-Yo man, my situation is actually quite different, I never grew up in Somalia to begin with, my parents did though. I think the world is a global village, and people can live where they want, it's all Allah's world.

-Lily-   

Home is where the family is. I just returned from a short trip and felt immense relief to hear the train Manager announce 'Ladies and Gentlemen welcome to Great Brittian'. I have a love-hate relationship with this city but its still home.

Modesty....N I thought you were born in Pland...lol...I guess it is all about choice. It is global village, but all of us have our fav little corner of dat village.