Sign in to follow this  
Khalaf

Islam and Hip Hop

Khalaf   

mainstream rappers who are muslims umm or maybe some just by name but nonetheless claim Islam: the Lox, Nas, Beanie Sigel, Mos Def, Swiss Beats, Freeway, Mobb Depp, Stypes P, T-Pain, Common, A Tribe Called Quest, N.O.R.E, Ghostface, Akon, Everlast, Napoleon Oulawz, Public Enemy............

busta.jpg

d62811v0c64.jpg

Islam is a beautiful religion. But right now, with my career and my life, I can’t live the Sunni Muslim way. I refuse to be a hypocrite and cover my head on Friday, go pray, and then the rest of the week I’m out cursing and drinking–and performing. So right now I’m just comfortable with God.

- Eve, female rapper and member of Ruff Ryders, in an interview

sigel.jpg

My heart in the faith I don’t practice,

I still pray along, forgive me for my actions,

Cause I still spit gangsta, think Muslim, act Kafir,

I can’t go on this way.

- Beanie Sigel from ‘I can’t go on this way’ (Album: B. Coming)

nore.jpg

God’s reppin’ with muslums keep Islam safe

What’s your fate yo?

What do you believe what do you know?

-Noreaga (N.O.R.E.) (with Capone) on the song ‘Live on Live Long’

the-roots1.jpg

Might act up, but I still can pass dawah

I’m usin’ new ways to try to reach these better days

Instead of tryin’ to take you under I just make you wonder

I still fast, make salaat, and pay zakat

I didn’t make Hajj yet, but that’s my next project Livin’ two lives, one of turn and one with true lies Keeping up hope knowing He’s answering to my du’as.

- The Roots from the song ‘The Spark’ (Album: Things Fall Apart)

4105napoleon_1.jpg

and my boy Nepolean the illist from outlawz:

May Allah guide them and all of us.

Yeah but you have to realise that some of these rapper follow either the Nation of Islam or its off-shoots such as the 5 Percenters. Some of them aren't even muslim they just have muslim names e.g Nas (Nasir Jones). The whole of A Tribe Called Quest aren't Muslim. Even though i've seen a youtube clip of Busta saying he's Muslim i read on wiki he was a 5 Percenter although its been edited since. Who knows

BTW add MOS DEF, LUPE FIASCO (they're for real) to the list

Blessed   

Napoleon is a true Muslim, he actually makes da'wah against gang-culture to the youth.

I think for some rapping about Islam helps some of them sell to a wider audience. However, many Afro-Americans feel affiliated with Islam in the historical context, it‘s a going back to roots exercise. May Allah guide them.

Malika   

May Allah forgive my skeptism here,could this be a trendy thing to do..be a Muslim! From rapping about oppression of slavery ,segregation,ghetto,black on black violence,now to a much newer oppressed people..the Muslims!

As I said may Allah forgive me for the assumptions,but anyone that has embraced true Islam,will by all means walk away from the life style most of these rap artist live and indulge in.

I know a dude that owned several night clubs in London whom had embraced Islam,he sold everything just so he could lead an honest/clean life style.

Ibtisam   

^^To a certain level I agree. Some of them are interlinked with ISlam historically while others just see it rebel movement.

P.s.

Napoleon is a true Muslim, He no longer raps from what I hear as he realised that it is not ISlam or him (I think that is what he said) He was in London a while back talking about gang culture and helping our kids stay focused, He spent few years in Madina to study Islam, so he knows more than the rest.

Originally posted by Zenobia:

Napoleon is a true Muslim, he actually makes da'wah against gang-culture to the youth.

Yeah, I think he came over to Khalid Mosque or the IMO once to give lectures. On the flyers it said, ''friend of Tupac'' probably to get them littluns who look up to 'em to get interested and attend.

Anyway this is what Eve said:

If she hasn’t been mentioned before, singer Eve. According to an excerpt from the book Muslim Networks from Hajj to Hip Hop:

Eve, who opened up the liner notes on her album Eve of Destruction with “All Praise is due to Allah,” speaks about her relationship with Islam: “It’s not strong like it should be. I’m striving. When I get to the point where I’m stable I definitely want to cover and got to the masjid. But now it’s hard. It is really hard. But it definitely has a grip on me. I pray to Allah every night, every morning, all during the day, know what I'm saying? If it wasn’t for Him I wouldn’t be blessed” (interview by the author, quoted in part in Spady, Lee, and Alim 1999).

N.O.R.F   

Alot of black americans who embrace Islam grew up in one parent families and that urge for being part of a family contributes to their initial steps into Islam. What a family to come into.

Hip Hop has been the music of rebellion/protest at injustices or lack of govnt support. This then sadly became a drug/gang/cars/women thing. A Muslim MC may have garnered more respect in the early days but today it seems to be a case of money and fame first.

Some of those rappers above are very talented (Mos Def, Common, Black Thought) and they could use that talent in a better way.

Eve, Freeway and Beenie Siegal are from Philly where the largest proportion of black muslims are concentrated.

Willam Chappelle

Masha'Allah, the new tend to appreciate Islam more then the old.

May Allah strengthen our Iman.

“O you who believe! Fear Allah as He should be feared, and die not except as Muslims.” Al Imran 3:102

Masha'allah

Is good to see everyone running back to the faith,

and some of us are so ignorent and can't even see the truth

blinded by the glitter and the fake hallucinations of the world.

I met Dave chappelle here in Minneapolis 3yrs back

in my restaurant we cater to him and his staff for the week they were in Minneapolis shooting a show.

I was impresed fisrt to find out his manager was a

Arab guy named Mustafa and that most of the staff were muslims, non like the 5%'ers, I mean beard and the salaats and just very impressive.

I also found out that Daz dillinger from Dog pound and long time friend Kurupt were practicing.

Really in person.

I thing Hip-Hop is turning from Bling Blaw to Islam Now.

eventually ,you'll see rhymes

Starting with

BIsmillahi Rahmani Raheem..

Blessed   

Salaams, just watched a beautiful lecture by Mutah (Napoleon). Masha'Allah it's a real eye-opener for those of us who profess the faith but .... anyway. Watch it here : video

I never heard about the 5 percenters before, so after a little net research and I didn't need to read much to realise that some of these rappers are not rapping about Allah the AlMighty Creator... but the Arm Leg Leg Arm Head of the black godman :eek: web page Asttaqfirullah!

Islam in the Mix: Lessons of the Five Percent

Buuxo   

^OMG...good to know.

Taloow Mid aan waa jeclaan jiray ma muslimbaa..Avant i think? He had lyrics that mentioned Allah, hope he is not 5-percent.Actually it doesnt matter, his lyrics were too x-rated for me ,so qac kamsiisto anymore.