Sign in to follow this  
Ms DD

New planet found- I think we'll send some Somalis there

Ms DD   

'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away

Ian Sample, science correspondent

Wednesday April 25, 2007

The Guardian

Scientists have discovered a warm and rocky "second Earth" circling a star, a find they believe dramatically boosts the prospects that we are not alone.

The planet is the most Earth-like ever spotted and is thought to have perfect conditions for water, an essential ingredient for life. Researchers detected the planet orbiting one of Earth's nearest stars, a cool red dwarf called Gliese 581, 20 light years away in the constellation of Libra.

Measurements of the planet's celestial path suggest it is 1½ times the size of our home planet, and orbits close to its sun, with a year of just 13 days. The planet's orbit brings it 14 times closer to its star than Earth is to the sun. But Gliese 581 burns at only 3,000C, half the temperature of our own sun, making conditions on the planet comfortable for life, with average ground temperatures estimated at 0 to 40C. Researchers claim the planet is likely to have an atmosphere. The discovery follows a three-year search for habitable planets by the European Southern Observatory at La Silla in Chile.

"We wouldn't be surprised if there is life on this planet," said Stephane Udry, an astronomer on the project at the Geneva Observatory in Switzerland.

Two years ago, the same team discovered a giant Neptune-sized planet orbiting Gliese 581. A closer look revealed the latest planetary discovery, along with a third, larger planet that orbits the star every 84 days. The planets have been named after their star, with the most earthlike called Gliese 581c. The team spotted the planet by searching the "habitable zone".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,,2064843,00.html

If you remained unmoved by scientists' excitement at the discovery of a "second Earth" 20 light years away from us then consider this: bookies have now slashed the odds of little green men appearing from 1,000/1 to 100/1.

RedSea   

Originally posted by Wisdom_Seeker:

They should stay here, we will go, good luck with Global warming....
:D

:D:D:D

Life without you, I just cannot imagine how it would be like stuck with bunch of horn dog Faraxs.

Can I come?

I will build the shuttle to get us there. :D

interesting, scientists are discovering such amizing new Habitable zome while c/yusuf is our president, indhacade is one the of maxkamadha islamka, Muuse suudi Yalaxow is saying "Terroriiistaha waa leeska dhicihaa" and Yaabka-Yaabkiis can't find the ms-right yet

Yaabka-Yaabkiis

May be you don't need Ms. right ,,,,,, :D

I'm going there by hook or crook ,,,,,,, i don't care who is remaining here and who is going ,,, i can't live without you ladies :D

RedSea   

Originally posted by Wisdom_Seeker:

Come aboard. Let's just hope it works
;)

Thanks.

As for the shuttle, no worries. I will build state of the art piece of ship that will get us there half of that time. So instead of 20 light years, it will take us only 10 light years to land on our destination.

The shuttle will have a system that will give static shock to send some chil down the spinal of those Faraxs who may try to get onboard uninvited.

Plus, our space suit would have a little space (whatever widhth or lenght desired :D ) in it, that way we wouldn't need to wear diapers. So we can just target the stars from the windows from the shuttle, we can do this risk free without the fear of falling out. :D

Intel   

RS

allow me to come on board mate

than shuttle needs good skilled kirishboy

you're not expectin these xaliimos to get down and dirty...no?

RedSea   

^Loughting out loud@ rokko...

I shall allow you under one condition though. Promise me that the only 'dirty' work you will handle is the kirishboy kinda work. lool

Aaliyyah   

I think we should send all somali men to that planet that has been found. Somalia will be better off, if we (women) were ruling ?? dont u guys think so?? lol

wa salaaam