Sign in to follow this  
Grad Student

Over-representation of males in higher institution!

Social life on campuses depend on the ratio of eligible partners of diff sex. as a matter fact, there is a link between the social life on a specific campus and the ratio of females-to-male.

Since i go to school where somali males greatly outnumber, approxiamtely 8:1, i was wondering whether Somali students around the world are conscious of it and would want to know how much it affects their social lives on campuses.

btw, on our campus, we are quite comfortable of our current ratio but wish more representation for more females.

Asalaamu'Calaykum,

Sheeesh don't remind me of the word ratio I feel like I'm back in research class :(

Where did you gain your statistics? Talk about an active member of you Uni.

You know I don't have ANY Somali's where im am at the moment :eek: We'll i just started there and im yet to see any. No sistas or any sign of my brothas :( . The uni I was stationed at last year had a fair few. I find the guys to be a distraction, they always chasing one of us :rolleyes: . Having my Somali sister around is great though, it nice being amoungst fellow muslimahs.

In my case and in my current situation I wish for representation for more females and males too (might find Mr Right ;) )

LOL@Mr.Right!!

Same here, the only somali represented in my school which I find very sad. Now, I understand how lucky I was to have the privilege of being chased by the brothas or being around the sisters.

Runaway^virgin: singing BIG YELLOW TAXI out loud!!........ Don't it always seem to go ..That you don't know what you've got..Till it's gone!!

Rahima   

In my case and in my current situation I wish for representation for more females and males too (might find Mr Right )

Deary best be careful before I tell you know who ;)

Xoogsade   

Socrates, If you show up at college five minutes to when the the lecture starts, you find a parking space quick, shut the engine and run to class, be seated, listen to the lecture and pretend you are invisible, avoid eye-contact with Somali/nonsomali girls in the hall/class, don't say hi to any unless you miss a class and you want to find out what you missed that day, and then you are back to being a stranger again saying only goodbye at the end of semester if possible, DO YOU HAVE TIME TO NOTICE THE RATIO? LOL.

I understand though that college is one of the places people get to know each other. But I am not desperate enough to complain or actually think about girls at school. I am not social as well so I don't feel I am missing anything. In and out, straight to work, back to my apartment, and few chosen companies when Ii have time does it for me saxib :D

P.S, Not to offend, but do you know everything about Socrates?

Ratios ??? Cant be applied where I am. Being a somali is a rarity -been the only one around for 6yrs. On campus they see us all as Africans, they just wonder how come we have finer features. :D :eek:

On the other hand, I would have liked to have fellow Somali on campus, people to relate to. So far My Muslim sisters are all I have Alhamdullilah.

Back when this was an issue...way way back...there were no Somalis at my Uni. Later a Somali guy told me he'd been to the same Uni too. I was so glad he wasn't there at the same time as I was. Pretentious type. Yuck.

What kind of degrees are offered where you study, Socrates? That might have something to do with it.

I dont know about the ratio's but it seems like there's more (Somali) girls in uni than guys in London...

Or maybe I have just come across more females than males.

LANDER   

Originally posted by who_me:

last year I was the only person representing Somalis in my Uni, this year luckily there 2 more girls....but no Faarax, me miss me faaraxs!

lol..I feel for ya, the amount of somalis @ my uni can be counted on 1 hand too. So when you meet one its all luv :D , but as Xoogsadee alludes its hard to get to know anyone when your always on the go.

Viking   

We had ten Somalis, five males and five females, doing 8 different courses. Gender ratio couldn't be more balanced.

raula   

In my uni-when I started we were few-but currently, I think we are the most somalis in a single American UNI(and i mean Uni not college) :D its a pleasure having MY BEOBLES around ;) and where I work-I can't miss even one each day :D

The lovely thing is the faculty offices across from my office-all adorned their offices with SOMALI customes and carptes-and the females especially wearing SOMALI attire :D tis' satisfying and makes me proud. DELIGHTING SCENES and even my BOSS reminds me of EIDs days ahead :D

PS: Iam gonna miss this UNI :(

Socrates-who told you to go that far? Didn't you know that our "crude" culture still doesn't allow women far from their family's sight till they are married-maybe that might help explain.

Diamante   

the last educational institution i went to was full of Soomaali, which is something i never wanna experience again.

talk about distraction, the girls showed up looking like they were going to some next Joe concert and the guys like they were going to the local merfish....sayings like "shawty", "let me pop that booty" :confused: and "go daddy" were flying left and right

a scene straight from a fifty cents song...and the gossips...stories were conjured up from thin air...

on the whole it was quite an experience but one i could've done without, so to the rest; you might want to think twice what you wish for...then again that was MY experience, who says it will be yours?

Peace

--------------------

I don't believe in emails. I'm an old fashioned girl. I prefer calling and hanging up

Although there are generally quite a few Somalis at my uni, there are almost none (except me) at my campus. Which is not that strange considering my campus specializes in arts, fashion and cultural studies. But this year I'm surprised to note that there are at least two confirmed Somali students, one male and one female. I think one of the girls is studying journalism, don't know, she wasn't very keen on talking to me, considering how happy I was to meet a fellow 'mali.

So as far as I know, the gender ratio on my campus is 2:1. :D

Originally posted by Velvet Revolution:

I dont know about the ratio's but it seems like there's more (Somali) girls in uni than guys in London...

Or maybe I have just come across more females than males.

Yeah, I always hear from friends at other universities that there are more Somali girls and than guys. Maybe girls are just more academic. :D

the last educational institution i went to was full of Soomaali, which is something i never wanna experience again.

talk about distraction, the girls showed up looking like they were going to some next Joe concert and the guys like they were going to the local merfish....sayings like "shawty", "let me pop that booty" [Confused] and "go daddy" were flying left and right

a scene straight from a fifty cents song...and the gossips...stories were conjured up from thin air...

on the whole it was quite an experience but one i could've done without, so to the rest; you might want to think twice what you wish for...then again that was MY experience, who says it will be yours?

Peace

I had very similar experiences. All the Somali guys think they're the next Jay-Z or 50 cents, and they've forgotten how to speak without rhyming. And nobody uses their real name, instead they have really puzzling nicknames like Brick-Z and Downboy. Sometimes a Somali guy would get mad at me for calling him Muhammed instead of Dog. Or the Somali girls (but to be fair, most other black/black wannabes girls were doing this too) would openly write text messages in the middle of class. And they would start singing whenever the teacher walked out of the room. God, I hate the singing.

Oh, I guess that's a whole other topic in itself.