Sign in to follow this  
-Lily-

Relocating

-Lily-   

Since we are nomads by nature it’s no surprise that relocation is becoming more popular. In recent years, and more specifically at the present moment, more siblings, friends and even work colleagues have either been talking about relocating or have already relocated. The most popular places seem to be Dubai, Canada and Australia.

What drives people to relocate? Is it the climate (some people, including myself, take this very seriously)? Is it the culture? The sense of adventure or new beginnings? Better prospects? Is the grass really greener on the other side? What do you consider ‘quality of life’ to mean? Would you consider relocating?

It is the mobility in our society back in home. Most of Somalis have a mobility background during the past times before the current civilazation.

Even here, people move from one town to another, from one job to another one, from a school to another one, etc.

nuune   

^^ Mobility iga dheh :D

Lilly, waxan waa dhaqan soo jireen ah, jirina doona, Reer Guuraa weeyaan Soomaalidu, magacaas bilaash uma bixin.

Just ask yourself, the places you lived in the last 10 years or so, wunderbar smile.gif

Delilah   

I wouldn't mind relocating myself, getting tired of T.O. perhaps London? I see nothing wrong with relocating though, it is inherent to us, afterall. Anyways there are over 192 countries if we don't ping pong across them during our lifetime, think of all the expereinces we shall miss, whether good or bad!

i have no intention of ever leaving the UK. I went to Somaliland in 2004 and it was the worst experience of my life. I might move to Nepal in 2010 inshallah. But never to the Somali sub-continent.

Baashi   

The pursue of opportunities for some. Raising families in culture/religion-friendly countries such as Middle East/East Africa for some. Work related reasons for others.

Coloow   

There are numerous studies that show people who move once tend to do so again and again. Gypsies are a good example. Somalis would keep on moving until somalia is hospitable (in terms of dhaqaale, nabad and what have you).

I once met a somalia woman who has lived in the USA/Canada for 32 years (she was 43) but moved to Manchester (of all places!). I Met another guy in Fiji and this dude has lived in japan, Indonesia, Australia and NZ. His name was Dalmar!

Aduunyada intaan dabadeeda ka soo taabeeyno waan soconaynaa.

RedSea   

Some day insha Allah I am hoping to move back home. I don't feel settled somehow, because I am far from home. Insha Allah one day though.

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by -Lily-:

Since we are nomads by nature it’s no surprise that relocation is becoming more popular. In recent years, and more specifically at the present moment, more siblings, friends and even work colleagues have either been talking about relocating or have already relocated. The most popular places seem to be Dubai, Canada and Australia.

What drives people to relocate? Is it the climate (some people, including myself, take this very seriously)? Is it the culture? The sense of adventure or new beginnings? Better prospects? Is the grass really greener on the other side? What do you consider ‘quality of life’ to mean? Would you consider relocating?

Lily,

Personally it was a combination of things that made us move. I have always been a bit of a free spirit moving around more times than your average farax in the UK whether it be for work or study.

I was getting fed-up with the UK and my recent visit was a stark reminder as to why. High living costs coupled with the 7/7 bombings and a good opportunity made my mind up. The incentive of living in a Muslim country is always appealing aswell.

We do have a better quality of life here and more time for family outings, more stuff for kids to do, sun all year round. Minus the months of May, June, July and August, the weather is very nice.

Oh and the grass is greener on the other side :cool:

Are you thinking about it?

I won't be returning to Polska, sorry Britain any time soon if I can help it.

Buuxo   

yeah its definetly in our culture.I am quiet amazed with my family , we have been 8 years in the one city.But every year we planning to move.

Toss between somalia and the middle east.

Its amazing where you'll see somalis but hey i got my aunt who lives in chile for 35 yrs which is nice santiago is a beutiful city and was amazed when i saw a somali family in tahiti there's actually 4 somali families in the french polenesia amazing. they're from the same family and there great great grandfather like mine use to sell xabag and sail with it to salalah port in oman and then use to buy spices from the ships coming from goa in india and then take it to a city called Liwa in todays UAE in camel caravans and sell it there to other arabs and iranians. But one day they're great great great grandfather took an offer from an visiting french trading ship that came to musqat in oman to go first to Marseille then to the french polenisian and work as a sea-man and he married a local and that was it they lived there happily ever after. My grand fathers made some money and married locals but my father who was 4th generation born there was finished with high school in ahmediyya school in dubay and was sent to london for university and by that time the british were in control but as he was changing boats in aden(yemen) whilst his stay there he met this beatiful somali lady who's father worked for the the italian consulate in aden and everyone tells they're mom that :D:D and got married and and both moved to london. Dad fell in love with somalia where he's forth grand father came from more then hundred years ago eventough he couldnt speak any somali but moved eventually there and the rest is history and here am writing on SOL. So I've lived in more then 15 countries so speak many languages and always ready for a new experience so yes always ready for relocating. Have to add I just relocated to new york like 2 weeks ago :D so am actually laughin right now so Lilly it felt like you targeted me loool just moved from london after 3 yrs

Baluug   

Originally posted by Northerner:

I won't be returning to
Polska, sorry Britain any time soon if I can help it.

:D

I may very well entertain the thought of applying for my Polish, sorry British, citizenship after spending some time, I really like it here. It's just too bad my time is running out.

I would because it's difficult to build a dynasty in Britain. There are great opportunities in the UK, but you need to be well established already to take advantage of them.

I used to hear one of my dad grandfather's brother disappeared on his ship and the rest of the brethen emigrated from Woqooyi Galbeed to Djibouti, just like my maternal parents, but chose to work with the French as officers (while the family was actively struggling for independence at the same time).

Now, both close and very close relatives live in France and Canada as well, though we resisted alongside the bulk of the family to emigrate as Somalis "refugees" or whatever from the eighties (it used to be relatively easy at that time, especially with a Djib passport, as France didn't require visas previously).

Of course, people are now disillusioned with life in Kuffar countries and face huge dilemmas, particularly with children who may miss the opportunity to grow in an islamic environment.

As for France, I couldn't bear with the secular atmosphere with few masjids and Westernized people who should know better, even despite heavily subsidised rent, study grants and free higher education (it already gave me excellent general education, with sciences and specially mathematics), which afforded even the poorest student a relatively comfortable living (not mentioning the health system), so I mainly go back when the family meet there for health purposes so I visit my brothers too.

Sadly, many are brainwashed in the process, and while anything else could be learnt everywhere, diverting one's relative or children from learning their Deen is the biggest foolishness one could ever commit (besides, staying in Unislamic lands or Kuffar countries has been condemned by unambiguously by the prophet as we shouldn't even be able to see their fires, and one may refer to the most credible Ulamas who unanimously agree on it)...