galbeedi

Today is the 34th aniversary of Ethiopian jets attack elementary schools in Borama.

galbeedi   

You probably heard a lot of people talk about Somali air force bombing the SNM positions in Hargeisa or even the city to dislodge the city from rebels.

Yey, few Somalis know that 66 students , teachers, civilians  and bystanders  killed , while hundreds were wounded in Borama in 1984 by the Ethiopian warplanes. The people of that city were innocent, and their only crime was they were loyal Somalis.

In fact, this bombing did happen after members of the WSLF movement who were fighting for the liberation of Somali Galbeed attacked the Djibouti-Ethiopia train.

galbeedi   

In order to retaliate from the actions of the rebels, they chose Borama as their target.

There were other Somalis in the Sool and Nugaal valley who lost tens of thousands of people and fighters during the struggle of the great Darwiish. That movement was decimated by British planes of the early 20th century. After the Daraawiish members came out from their fortified forts after the bombing of the planes , tens of thousands  of Daraawiish were machine gunned while the rest were bombed from the air.

It was the biggest mass death of Somalis in the modern history, yet most Somalis do not know.

THese were Galayr's ancestors who paid the ultimate price for the Somali freedom.

After one hundred years, a new struggle is taking shape to make this people free from  the secession which  the land their grandfathers have died for  and the colonial ploy of dismembering Somalia.

Folks, we have nothing against the people of Hargeisa and Burco, but we must stop this colonial project of pitting Somalis against one another  for the dismemberment of their nation.

34 minutes ago, galbeedi said:

There were other Somalis in the Sool and Nugaal valley who lost tens of thousands of people and fighters during the struggle of the great Darwiish. That movement was decimated by British planes of the early 20th century. After the Daraawiish members came out from their fortified forts after the bombing of the planes , tens of thousands  of Daraawiish were machine gunned while the rest were bombed from the air.

It was the biggest mass death of Somalis in the modern history, yet most Somalis do not know.

galbeedi,

I read the complete report which I think was maakhiri1 that posted a link from the British Gazette.

Crrect me if I am wrong, but I only learned two things:

1. The Somali is a brave fighter no matter which side or organziation he is

2. The Darawiish was its own worst enemy

Such movements are always not celebrated by whole country. The Weyannie is for example most hated by Amhara, but most celebrated by Afar, Tigray and Agew and tolerated or admired by most in Ethiopia except Amahara and allies.

It was a movement against King Haileslassie in 1942. The British had to put it down by 8,000 their army on ground and planes not being enough from Asmara, they had to bring from yemen. The British used the same fireball bombs they later used in Germany like Dresden.

The Darawiish are celebrated by some, tolerated by others and to some degree disliked by some. Such movements as heroic as they are are not so good of an instrument of unity or appeal.

That is probably why you do not see Somali politicians tripping each other to galavanize people using Darawiish.

galbeedi   

Actually in the Somali modern history the Daraawiish are considers the icons of Somali nationalism. Of course it's leader Sayid M. might be blamed by certain Somalis of his ruthlessness, but in history what counts is actions and the legacy.

Churchill was a drunken sailor at times and buffoon at best in his early politics, yet in British history , he is an icon because he made a great speech to galvanize the public and he eventually defeated the Nazis. That is what counts in history.

I agree the Darawiish value in nationalism, bravery, even their military tactics and lasting as long as they did against the most capable of all empires. If it was Ottomans, French, Italians, Belgians, Portugeuese etc would have given up.

If it wasn't British encouragement, supply and support King menelik had given up. The Sayid himself in person came to Arussi which is close to Addis Ababa and returned to Somali areas unharrassed.

Holac   

While other Somalis are on a 40 year wandering on the wilderness and chaos, Somalilanders have, despite a lot of obstacles (including Galbeed's like), achieved good things. It is a prove that we are on the right track.

Suldaanka,  you are also expected to acknowledge the achievement of other areas of Somalia that achieved relative peace with substantial gains in education, infrastructure, business and governance. Choas and destruction are not everywhere. 

Saalax   

Folks Somaliland will never be recognized anyway.  Secession idea will die down naturally.  Already many of the youth don't even believe in the recognition nonsense after 27 years but see it as a project for politicians to fill their pockets.

• That is really sad! 1

galbeedi   

Ducaale,

Waxyaabahani waa dhacdooyin raad toos ah ku leh dagaaladii sokeeye iyo masiibooyinkii Somalia ka dhacay intii u dhaxaysey 1983-2003. As a young man, this is probably the first time you ever heard about anyone describing  these horrific crimes of Ethiopia against your neighbors.

The Ethiopian war planes did not bomb Borama just because it is a border town, but it was politically motivated bombing to take revenge of the attacks of WSLF (Western Somalia liberation Front).These were some of the horrific events of the Somali civil war where Somali anti government forces targeted innocent people to punish then for their being citizens who did not take part of the insurgency.

Yet, you probably never seen any body from that community  in the media arguing to either punish the Somali mercenaries who tipped Ethiopia to do this horrific crime, nor  to use that  event as wedge issue to divide people.

Over 300,000 Somalis had died in Bay and inter river area after the warring factions from the Hag and D block overrun them  and took by force their buried dry foods, slaughtered their livestock by force, and even rape them, which in turn  and created a man made drought and disaster that no Somali ever witnesses in history, yet for the people of the South West that was part of the horrific legacies of the collapse of the Somali state. That is some of the reasons people want to have regional government for their survivals during these upheaval times.

Being unionist does not stop us from addressing real issues behind the session issue. In different times, and situations, Somaliland had used war between the Somali state and their rebel movement , and the casualties they suffered as the main reason for the session. If you just listen the young reporter interviewing Naima Qorane's father, he kept repeating that , " Somalia Kuwii dadka inaga laayey miyesan ahayn". THe old man told him that wasn't about Somali people but the Somali state and SNM.

In other instances, even Edna Aadan made the case of session by just claiming, " Somalia is a land infested with terrorism , warlords and instability". Rayaale also tried to ride the war in the South to gain session. In this case it is about the instability that made her and Somaliland separate. Om other occasions, it is about historic boundaries of the colonial rulers, and how Somaliland was separate entity all along.

There are hundred of nations in Africa that were created from 1950 to 1965. Those boundaries founded by those nations are known territorial boundaries of those nations and everyone must respect their territorial integrity. The Kurds tried to use the America invasion and the ensuing civil war to declare unilaterally, yet they were rebuffed immediately. THat is way the republic the was born in 1960 and its boundaries are not changeable.

As I said in these pages, no one is denying the price many of you the SNM community had paid for whatever reasons. Actually, few weeks ago, I was talking to one of these guys, and told me that he has bullet wounds and some of his family members had died for the ultimate price to control their destiny. He even tried to convinced me to lay off this constant talking about  SNM ,and what he and his family considers a real sacrifices. He said, " I do not care and do not want to know how this SNM thing started, but at the end it became a peoples movement.In fact for the greater good of Somalis and your community , I am willing to keep that " Jabhad" thing and work something else if it brings all of us yogather.

Personally, I have no hatred of any Somali tribe let alone my neighbors. I am comfortable to sit to any Somali and have a tea. THere was this East Burco friend of mine that I used to have tea from time to time, but since , I told him that , I will be working hard to bring down the Jeegaan, we do not have that nice tea any more, and I understand the reason.

I do agree that what brought down the Somali state at the end was the popular uprising of the people from Hargeisa, Burco, Garoowe, Mudug all the way to MOgadishu and KIsmaayo, and we the Somali people have all paid the price in different measures.

My argument is nations and people go through wars, civil war, and devastating events, yet they rise up and look to the future. Germany was devastated by two wars, yet today it is one of the richest and advanced country in the world; Japan suffered an atomic bomb by United States, yet today, it is the third largest economy in the world due its economic and strategic relations with the same America that dropped the bomb.Hoe about the people Iraq rising again after couple of million casualties. 

We should be those who fall down and refused to rise up again. Waxii dhacay waa taariikh laakiin mustaqbalka aynu ka hadalno. Hadaanu nahay dadka ehelul Immanka ah waxaanu rumaysanhay qof kasta oo dulmi galay aakhiro ayuu bixin doonaa, is cafiskuna waa waxa ugu weyn ee la isa siiyo.

Guys, OOdweyne, Suldaanka, and Ducaale, sooner rather than later, a real debate about the past and future should take place among the Somalis everywhere. People want to know why Cigaal , a nation builder who killed thousands of people in Somaliland in order  to create an administration was forgiven in Borama, but a Somali state was wrong to try to keep the second largest city in the nation. from falling to a rebel movement supported by Ethiopia.  Besides, the Somali state, despite the power monopoly of certain tribes, represented legally under international law more legitimacy than than Cigaal or Muuse Biixi could claim.

If you look the turn of the century or late nineteenth century, the Somalis were confederate tribes who settled in unique area of the horm. THere were small empires that traded and allied with the ottomans and others, but at the end of the 19th century , they were confederate nomads who roomed their specific area. The only way these Somalis could share and become one people was  through the Somali state.If that Somali state and the brotherhood it brought among us disappears, then as the last century, every tribe must decide its own destiny.

If Somaliland separates and accepted by Somalis, then Puntland Jubba Land (Which some even called Azenia) and others must also become states. Why stop there Sool or Khatuno could make its own state.

Finally, since the resources of the donors and the tax paid by the public is used to enrich certain tribes as the Jeegaan does, why allow the existence of such entity. Why would I allow you to get rich under my names, and beg you for water, roads and relieve. Why not set up my own fiefdom and get some of the dollars directly from EU and others.

Folks, if we could not agree on the formation of institutional based government, rule of law and Somalinimo, then why would i spent my energy to enrich certain tribes. I have no hatred of any tribe, but I do want from time to time to point out the contradictions of the Somaliland project. 

Finally, Mr. ducaale, you might not like the Jeegaan, but that does not mean you favor rule of law, transparency and justice. You might only interested to replace the Jeegaan with another similar entity, that is why probably it bothers you the criticism we are levelling on the foundation of the whole project.

IT is our duty to challenge this project both on legal, historical and political basis. We have to challenge how to union came in 1960, the legal basis for the sanctity of the international border of the republic, and finally how the devastating effects of the civil war should never be a base for the session.

OOdweyne , I respect your opinion and the information you provide , but give us the whole information within the context. 

• Like 1

galbeedi   

Let me  add one more story that is related to the bombing , a warlord named Mohamed Kahin who became the right hand of Muuse Biixi was also part of some of the stories related to the Ethiopian warplane bombing of Somalia. in the middle of eighties, due to the devastating nature of the Borama bombing in January 1984, the Somali state put anti aircraft batteries all around major towns. I remember in Borama they used to sit Buurta Sheekh Cali and the mountains surrounding the city. 

The Somali air force had difficulty seeing these fast F-5 jets through radars. Usually they take off from Jijiga and fly low behind the mountains to hide from the Somali radar. Somali gunners usually did not had time to react as these planes start bombing.

So, the Somali state became clever and put couple of Somali nomads around Jijiga and other airports these planes take off. As soon the aircraft take off from Jijiga these nomads dial their hand held radio and send the message. Before they show up to these towns, the air force gunners fire their guns and to all directions to trap and hit the planes. When these planes get close they see all these fires in the sky and turn back for fear of being hit.

Mohamed Kahin , the man Muuse Biixi appointed the interior minister was working or in charge of the logistics before he joined the rebels. Reliable sources told me that even before he crossed the border he was accused of giving some secrets to Ethiopia and left before he was arrested. After he went to Ethiopia, those men who were radioing the message were captured and executed by ethiopia.

So folks, a lot had happened and we the people are willing to forget and forgive for the sake of Soomaalinimo and brotherhood. 

• Like 1

"Local government is better than good government" Abraham Lincoln

galbeedi,

If something happens at a stage in history, there will be part of a community that defends it, wants to restore it. All the Somali sultanates and Boqor that were rudly interrupted by Europeans, have still significant number of  Somalis that want to restore that structure and continue with it.

Some Somalis also think that, it was only clan institutions, that is old and backward etc, forgetting that the American states are English, Scotish, German, Dutch clans. Canada also maybe not different.

The dreamers act  in America which will end up benefitting latin americans, maybe also few Somali was passed specifically for Irish.

The Somali is not different than any other peoples around the world. Has family, relatives, village/town, province, sultanate..and then country. Country is something new. Canada is 150 years old most of it as Dominion, so is Australia.

Family feud is more intense than feud with neighbor or friend. Feud among Somalis is much stronger and intense than feud with Afar or Oromo. Feud of Germans, French and English is far stronger than French with Spanish or English with Italians.

Holac   

Galbeedi is the most effective commentator when it comes to getting his message across. When he speaks, SOLers pay attention and I am one of them. It is beneath the dignity of the respected SOLers above to keep calling him names. Galbeedi has a lot of influences back home.  Aggravating Galbeedi and assassinating his character is not going to help Somaliland's cause any better. The Somaliland supporters on SOL don't know how to win even small battles. Such a pity!!

galbeedi   

Oodweyne,

Most of your arguments are based in two events  although it is hard to dissect after reading the Oodweyne style of writing a long essay that needs careful examinations. 

One argument is that," I diminish"  the suffering of your people under the military government compared to others and you have even mocked my description by saying ;' And some of the "delightful features" in which such military occupation have had to its name can be included with the notion of summary executions, afternoon curfews, mass displacement of folks from their residences, illegal arrest without any protection under any fig-leaf of "habeas corpus"

The second argument is that I,  Galbeedi had equated what Siyaad Barre , and Cigaal did in Somaliland. The rest of your drivel is mostly repetitive and condescending. So I will try to tackle these two arguments, if you will.

Actually, there is nothing delightful about human suffering or Somali suffering. What You are describing is an oppression that could take place in any place in the world where an active insurgency existed. This wasn't a democratic Somalia or 21st century were we can all debate freely. If you try to depose any dictator in that era  where the world was divided between democratic (West) and totalitarian East, those who challenged the EAst were dealt harshly and Siyaad Barre wasn't different. There were a dozen military coups that took place in Africa from 1965-1970. If Siyaad Barre did not do the coup, C/laahi Yusuf would have done it or Salaad Gabyre, Caydiid, Liiqliiqato or anybody else. Go check what Mengistu has done to keep Eritrea or Somali Galbeed.

It was the era of dictatorship and power struggle among nations in the region. If  Ethiopia and Somalia would had became communist allies as everyone had expected, there would never have been a tribal insurgency. Without the battle between Mengistu and Siyaad Barre, there were never have been insurgency. In fact , there is more grievances, looting, power abuse and corruption in Somaliland than Somalia of 1981,,when  the HAbro proclaimed the insurgency. Tell me what happen in Hargeisa in 1979/80 which forced the formation of the movement. It was a different time. ASk most Somalis who crossed to Ethiopia. They will tell, " In la i Xidho ayaa la rabay, scholarship ayaa la iidiiday, iyo Siyaad Baree ayaa qof kale dalaciyey. Except the Punties who were brought to the firing squad, most others were complaining about the typical things that must expected in any dictatorship of thar era.

On the issue of equating Cigaal with Siyaad Barre, as you usual you took to a wrong angle. My intention was that Cigaal who was proclaimed as a leader to reconcile the warring " Habro" factions had nothing. He did not had a functioning state, army, money or even legitimacy among some of the people. It was a nascent system to disarm and make peace among the Is...q warlords who put checkpoints between Hargeisa, the airport and between. 

Yet, a man with nothing was willing to kill and use deadly force to keep the small administration he was handed in Borama. He was willing to destroy Burco and make thousands of people refugee in order to keep the small flame.. Thus , A functioning Somali state recognized by the world, led by a legitimate government had a duty to defend for what it considered a rebel movement that was intended to dismember the country with help of Mengistu. Again, I have no intention blaming the victims or diminishing your suffering.

That was the crest of my argument.

Anyway, at this junction, I do not want to continue debating the issue of SNM, the Reer Sheekh community or the past. I have more urgent issue at hand , and I do want to spend my valuable ink on those issues. Agan, every Somali that has suffered through any injustice is a victim. Furthermore, I have no intention of demeaning or denying your victims.

Mr. oodweyne, Hawshaas inoo soo xidh. 

I have a huge beef with Jeegaan and I do not want to be distracted with those issues anymore. The Jeegaan issue doesn't concern you, thus you must watch that spectacle from outside window. The issue is not about Somalland, Duriyada or others anymore, it is specifically about Jeegaan. Saacadan laga bilaabana Diriyda faraha ayaan kala baxay. Hawshaydu waxay daaran tahahy " Budhcada Hubaysan ee sida tuugada ah inoo qabsatay. Many of my friends also asked me to lay off these issues, and I accept that advice.

SOLers, I Galbeedi will be concentrating my guns toward the Jeegaan effective immediately