Old_Observer

Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia interest is one, no crisis Al Sisi in Addis

O.O, stop lying to yourself. Egypt is a bankrupt state. They do not have the financial and energy resources to even build 20% of the desalination plants necessary to mitigate even a minor portion of the drastic effects the GERD will have on their nation.

Water is life and for Egypt, in particular—the Nile is life.  So for Egypt, the GERD is an existential threat and as such I believe you live in la-la land if you think they will not disrupt it, either covertly or overtly.

And it is to be expected; the increase of adverse climate conditions all around the world is well known and there is a global water crisis—where some parts of the world receive record amounts of flooding, whilst others have become very prone to droughts, year in year out.( Our part of the world being a good example)

As we speak, Cape Town is experiencing a water crisis. They are currently in a 3 year drought, which is the worst on record for them. And come this April 2018, the metropolis expects to run out of all water. I mean Zilch, nada, zero!!! You know what that’s gonna be like? 

So please, do us all a favor here and stop trying to sell to us that the GERD is a godsend, as if the regions surrounding the Nile basin are not one of the world’s driest and water scarce regions. Negro please!

4 hours ago, Tillamook said:

O.O, stop lying to yourself. Egypt is a bankrupt state. They do not have the financial and energy resources to even build 20% of the desalination plants necessary to mitigate even a minor portion of the drastic effects the GERD will have on their nation.

Tillamook,

The article is not mine or Sudanese or Ethiopian.

Its official from your most loved country in the world Egypt.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/289218/Egypt/Politics-/Desalination-to-the-rescue-Egypt-looks-to-new-wate.aspx

I guess now you have to change your mind. Suspicioun can distort ones attitude and mostly the wrong way. It  is a very dangerous behavour.

There is something called right or wrong regardless who says it. Its given to all of us to choose.

The dam once filled will send what ever water comes. What is so diffficult to understand this reality. The question is do you fill it in 2 years, 3 years.

You are not being fair. You are worrying about Egyptians more than they do. You are defending Egypt when some of them are wrong.

Are you going to come and help them occupy Ethiopia. That is the only way to prevent Ethiopia from using the dam.

If you damage the dam then the whole nile will be diverted. You don't know this, but those whom you are more concerned than themselves know this reality.

O.O,

The points I wanted to get across to you is that desalination is NOT going to be enough to mitigate the negative effects the dam will have on Egypt, no matter the source of the news article you've posted. And not to sound like a broken record, I believe the Egyptian authorities are not going to allow the GERD to go ahead as planned.  I'm willing to put a wager on that... 9_9 

2 hours ago, Tillamook said:

O.O,

The points I wanted to get across to you is that desalination is NOT going to be enough to mitigate the negative effects the dam will have on Egypt, no matter the source of the news article you've posted. And not to sound like a broken record, I believe the Egyptian authorities are not going to allow the GERD to go ahead as planned.  I'm willing to put a wager on that... 9_9 

Tillamook,

Thank you for the clarification.

I think the Egyptians know something you do not think is important. Ethiopia's responsibility is that the same amount of water that comes to the dam will be released. That will not change. Egyptians Sudanese have made repeated trips to the dam. There is no agricultural plan anywhere around.

The only question as far as this dam is concerned is filling schedule.

Actually there was another dam that really made president Mubarek foam at the mouth. Its called Tana Beles. It is multi purpose and generates 430MW. Meles told president Mubarek, if you think we will starve for you to play water skieng on Aswan, come anytime and try anything against this project. We do not have arab culture of foaming at the mouth.

There is a video Isayas of Eritrea spoke as well to the same effect some years back during the Brotherhood in Egypt.

There is no military solution. What the Egyptians should do is invest in other rivers in Ethiopia for agriculture etc and then pressure Ethiopia not to use Nile.

Do you know when the study to all these dams was done? FD Roosevelt of USA paid 12 million at the time and a group of Americans worked for 2 years. Haileslassie and Mengistu were too chicken to do it.

..and I think I know something you don’t know, O.O. 😆

The truth of the matter is that third party studies show that anything larger than a 2800 MW dam will take too long to fill, and the downstream reparian states will suffer tremendous consequences, especially Egypt. Therefore,   a 6000MW dam like the GERD will take forever to fill, which isn’t acceptable to Egypt.

O.O, what your Tigray troll inclinations prevent you from understanding is that the waters of the Nile are matter of life and death for Egypt. Whilst for the Tigray regime it’s merely a geopolitical gambit with which to influence and control It’s neighbors using the supply of electricity.

The Tigray regime has refused to take heed of all serious negotiations put to them, the last one being their refusal to accept World Bank mediation.

I believe the regime is doing this to make it seem that Egypt is out to deny the “Ethiopian” people their piece of the Nile pie, whilst the real reason is that the regime  hopes by doing so it will distract attention away from their internal problems with the Oromo and Amhara.

7 hours ago, Tillamook said:

..and I think I know something you don’t know, O.O. 😆

The truth of the matter is that third party studies show that anything larger than a 2800 MW dam will take too long to fill, and the downstream reparian states will suffer tremendous consequences, especially Egypt. Therefore,   a 6000MW dam like the GERD will take forever to fill, which isn’t acceptable to Egypt.

O.O, what your Tigray troll inclinations prevent you from understanding is that the waters of the Nile are matter of life and death for Egypt. Whilst for the Tigray regime it’s merely a geopolitical gambit with which to influence and control It’s neighbors using the supply of electricity.

The Tigray regime has refused to take heed of all serious negotiations put to them, the last one being their refusal to accept World Bank mediation.

I believe the regime is doing this to make it seem that Egypt is out to deny the “Ethiopian” people their piece of the Nile pie, whilst the real reason is that the regime  hopes by doing so it will distract attention away from their internal problems with the Oromo and Amhara.

I think the Egyptians went about it the wrong way.

World Bank: The Egyptians used their status to prevent Ethiopia from getting any loans for any water works. The Ethiopians built Tekeze 300MW and Tana Beles source of Nile 430MW. When GERD came the Egyptians followed same track since they always won. But even victory has limits, you should know where and when to stop. Now at the 11th hour calling for World Bank is diengeneous at best and defeat at worst.

Sudan: I know the politics of Brotherhood and chaos in Egypt coincided, if there is coincidence in politics, but Egypt went the wrong way. The Egyptians continued with Darfur and south Sudan which always worked, but not this time. In the process Egypt completely destroyed its relations in Sudan. Egypt finally asked to exclude Sudan and negotiate with Ethiopia. The Ethiopians said NO. Imagine Egypt wants Sudan out and Ethiopia wants Sudan in. Think about it.

Technically:

All three countries know that you build dams where it will get you highest return. GERD is 5 billion dollars will bring 6000MW. To build equivalent in 7 or 8 other places, requires about 28 billion dollars. Its that simple.

What ever water comes to dam will be released. Ethiopia now provides on average 85 billion cubic meter by 3 rivers. GERD is on one river. Filling it is no big deal. Even Sudan has offered her share that is not being used now to be stored there.