Sign in to follow this  
nafta

Work/Travel America

nafta   

How are you?

So, I'm taking part in this program which enables students to travel and work in America during the summer holidays. Exiting, I know. (About damn time I inject some sort of adventurous venture in my life too).

I'm leaving mid June and would definitly appreciate some tips on places to visit. What are the 'It-towns' (besides NY and LA ofcourse), the not so hot towns, the places (and people) to avoid.

I've found a job in North Carolina (curiosly people mistake this for New Orleans and gasp whenever I tell them this...how odd). Any nomads who live there? If so, what is it like? Websites have a way of notoriously glamourising places, and if it's dissapointing in some way I want to know as I'll be working and living there till Labor day! After Labor day, I have three weeks to travel and explore America before I return so want to make the most of that time.

I've been to the usual websites, like visitamerica etc, so what I'm looking for is firsthand experiences, tips and tales! smile.gif

Castro   

Originally posted by Nafta:

I've found a job in North Carolina (curiosly people mistake this for New Orleans and gasp whenever I tell them this...how odd). Any nomads who live there? If so, what is it like?

Charlotte (if that's where you're going in NC) has many Somalis. North Carolina itself is a beautiful (but boring) state. If you like the outdoors, it's nice but most Somalis would rather choke than go camping. I usually speed through the Carolinas (north and south) on my way to Atlanta (about 200 miles south). Now that's the place to be in the south east (the area you're going to). With the cost of travel and the size of the country, I'd be surprised if you can manage anything but the east cost. If you see the DC area all the way down to Miami, you're basically a miracle worker. The northwest and California are too damn far so I'd exlude them from my itinerary. If you wanna buy some diracs, uunsi or Qaad, Minneapolis (MN) or Columbus (OH) should do the trick. You'll be amazed how large this country is and understand why everyone just stays in their little corner.

Good luck and enjoy.

If you make it to Texas, send me a PM. I'll buy you a Texas-sized Tazo Green Tea Latte. :D

STOIC   

I don’t live in North Carolina, but it is a next-door neighbor. There is nothing really exciting in North Carolina except being home to one of the best schools in the nation (Duke and UNC-chapel Hill). Charlotte, Durham and Raleigh are the biggest cities. Do not despair if you got some off days you can go to the nearest car rental and drive off to New York and Atlanta, which are few hours away! North Carolina has one of the tallest mountains that you can climb. People do talk with funny southern accent down there. Ever seen Senator Edward talk on national debates? Good luck with your southern adventure.

Edit: Sorry, Castro beat me to it...

Nafta,wazzup? Nafta ka waran? ;lol.

What city in North Carolina?

Theres somalis in Charlotte,Raleigh-Durham & Greensboro.Let me know,besides You will be too bz having fun btween the beaches of carolina to the ridges of blue ridge mountains all the way to the plains of central carolina. Trust me you will have fun...and check this out,the place is like the centre of the south east USA,Dc is 3.1/2 hrs away,Atl is like 5hrs away,Columbus is like 6hrs away. Have fun

[iThis one's for North Carolina! C'mon and raise up Take your shirt off, twist it 'round yo' hand

Spin it like a helicopter

North Carolina! C'mon and raise up

This one's for you, uh-huh, this one's for who?

Us, us, us; yes sir

icon_razz.gif

hodman   

Originally posted by Castro:

If you wanna buy some diracs, uunsi or Qaad, Minneapolis (MN) or Columbus (OH) should do the trick. [/QB]

Don't listen to him there is more to Mpls than uunsi and qad and diracs so check it out :D

nafta   

Thanks for the replies (been trying to log in since last night but the server was down :( )

I'm going to be heading to Kill Devil Hills (The Outerbanks), to be exact. So nowhere near Raleigh or Charlotte I suppose. Though I will definitly check those places out. Or not, depending on my mood towards the Somalis at that moment icon_razz.gif

Castro, I'm not a miracle worker, but I'll be calling some family over there to spread their love (and money). With the amount living in the States, I should be able to open a little trust fund :D

I WILL SEE MIAMI!

FC, Nafta waa fabolous...I'm not doing too bad either. Wanna be my tourguide? The position is still open.

What's happening in Columbus? People keep referring me there but what's the hype all about, other than that it's a mini-xamar (or so I'm told)!

ALSO...do people travel by car or train or plane mostly? What are the airfares like (because travelling six hours to another state/city by anything other than a plane is karaysi).

I wanna hear more!

P.S. I have an interview at the US embassy in couple weeks time. They can actually refuse to give you a visa if you were born, have lived or travelled to a Islamic or Middle-Eastern country. Oo dadka xishood maba lehee :eek:

Maybe I shouldn't mention that I'm planning to be photographed outside the Guriga Cad!

Nafta

There are many Somalis in the US – you can find some of them around your area.

Enjoy your trip to the US and good luck with your work plans. Hopefully you will get a visa.

Guhaad   

Nafta,

You can't miss Mindiyoboolis, MN if you come to the US. You don't have to work here, but you sho can stop by and check out how Maryooley have changed a whole city from murdereapolis to one of a kind.

Kafaaxiye

Do you mean Minneapolis, and what do you mean u don’t have to work, are you one of those who stand by the carmel square mall all day long?

Guhaad   

^Almost! both names are a reference to Minneapolis- one from my pocket, the other historical smile.gif

about the work, it is not me but Nafta, who said

So, I'm taking part in this program which enables students to travel and work in America during the summer holidays. Exiting, I know.

even if she didn't pick here to work, she could still come and visit.

Karmal Suuq (Embassy-ga lagu daraaba iigu daran :D ), big aint, i kinda like Mall 24 now. bit hrazy, but meets my needs. anyways, nice to know your from the City :cool:

Yonis   

Nafta

I have three weeks to travel and explore America before I return so want to make the most of that time.

Well, I don’t know much about North Carolina, or any other state, but if you would like to visit some other states, make sure to visit, Washington Metropolitan Area which comprises Northern Virginia, Washington DC and Maryland and they are not that far from NC. Good luck.