Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

'An other cup' New Yusuf Islam CD

Regarding music, the important thing to know is not to condemn something that scholars of Islam don't all agree on. [paraphrasing from a notable scholar]. I respect differing points of view in Islam, as long as we acknowledge those differences.

Personally......am happy!!!! Will grap a copy soon Insha Allah.

Johnny B   

Hi m Janna, what do you mean by weakens the heart? my heart gets stronger and pumbs more blood whenever i listen to a nice piece of Music.

Northener,

If everything that is enjoyable is Haram, and you can't enjoy being alive, what's the point of living?

The more one is able to experience pleasure the more one appreciates life, no?

Miriam1   

Seriously. I see no logic in the fact that nasheeds that speak baout the beauty of Allah's creations or on the virtue of the Nabi's life can be considered haram.

They lighten your heart and sweeten your day...my younger brother enjoys listening to Sami Yusuf and since he began this he started to take the initative of going to the masjid across the street by himself, without us urging him to go. He is eager to learn the quran and loves his lessons..

Since I see no direct logic and since there is also differing opinions on the topic. One should make a sound personal judgment. And should not enforce thier choice upon others or claim any form of absolute correctness in thier opinion

ALso let's remember that very few things in reality were made Haram by our faith, Islam was sent for us not to make life hard...but to simplify matters for us and lead us on a right path..Since the cirle of Haram is so small, lets not add things to it..

Folks what happened to critical thinking? One should always question everything and all the tenants of our faith is based on logic..so think, question and decide..

Jacpher   

The more one is able to experience pleasure the more one appreciates life, no?

You wouldn't understand. It's a Muslim thing!

Khayr   

Salams,

Maybe I'm the odd one here but I can't picture how someone shifts from singing A-is for Allah and B is for Bismillah to pluralism and outright secular songs. The brother is apeing his is pre-islamic days and his nonmuslim fans are praising for him for doing just that. Its as if they were saying that this Muslim phase of Cat Stevens, would one day come to an end. Guess they are right-in some ways!

And as for the story of the differring opinions on Music, I don't think that the ULAMA (at least the classical ulama) would support secular songs. Non of the 4 Imams would ok songs that are of a secular nature. For if that was the case, then the Beatles, Aerosmith, 50's accapella groups, Jayz etc. would be acceptable in Islam. But that is not the case, so why the acceptance of secular songs from a muslim figure? :confused:

Khalaf   

^^No sxb......reminds me of that hadith that says there will be muslims but our faith is tainted.

Important quotes here:

I recall my own musical inclinations, and thinking about what turned me off, it wasn’t this fatwa or that, but rather this intuition: I found that it was impossible to keep the Quran in my heart if I listened to music. Try it, and you’ll know what I mean. Listen to some beautiful recitation of the Quran, and then go and listen to music. I actually feel very strongly that music is a form of covering one’s feelings or issues by subverting them through external means… similar to when people consume alcohol to forget their problems.

In the Quran, you find that hearing is always mentioned before sight. The reason is that sight is linear: one can only see in front of them, and if light approaches their eyes and enters in a certain manner. Hearing, on the other hand, is encompassing: one hears everything around them. Thus, it’s easy to turn away and not look at something that bothers you, but with hearing it’s altogether different.

A prominent theory in modern physics, as well, is String Theory: that all matter is composed of tiny oscillating strings, as those of a cello vibrating at different frequencies. The different oscillations of the sub-atomic strings produce different forms of matter in the same way that different frequencies produce different sounds. So it’s interesting that we recite the Quran aloud: literally the oscillations cause every part of our physical (and hopefully spiritual) being to quiver, and perhaps change our very composition. So it goes with music. So in listening to something, one is actually choosing who they become in a physical and figurative sense.

And to finish, a story that I like:

After the death of the Prophet, peace be upon him, Abdullah ibn Mas’ud lived in Baghdad, where he taught the people about the deen. One of his most famous students, on his way to lessons every day, would pass by a prominent singer and player of the ‘ud, a very melodious arabic guitar. Each day, this student would fight with the songwriter, cursing him, telling him that what he was doing was haram, as well as breaking his ‘ud. Each day the man would make a new ‘ud, and return to his spot. The student became frustrated and began taking a new route to lessons.

Then, one day, ibn Mas’ud himself passed by the road on which this singer performed. When passing by, he simply turned and looked sadly at the man, and then said “la hawla wa la quwatta illa billah…”, and continued on. The singer was curious, and asked his companions who the man was. Upon being told, he exclaimed “What’s going on! His student smashes my ‘ud, but he just walks on?!” and so he got up and ran after him.

“Wait!” said the singer, “do you know who I am?”

“Yes, I know very well that you are so and so, the singer.” said ibn Mas’ud.

“You know me, and yet you walk on by? Who are you?”

“I am Abdullah ibn Masud, the Companion of your Prophet, peace be upon him - do you know who your Prophet is?”

and so the singer felt ashamed. Trying to divert the subject, and find out why ibn Mas’ud had walked past, he said

“Didn’t you think my voice was beautiful?”

“It is - but it would be more beautiful were it pronouncing verses from the Quran.”

“Will you teach me to sing the Quran?” asked the singer

“I will” said ibn Masud, “Come to me tomorrow.”

And so the singer became a student of ibn Mas’ud. Upon learning to recite the Quran properly, he never did sing it, nor anything else. Asked why, he replied

“Songs and the Quran can never come together in the same heart.”

I thought it a nice story not just for the musical dars, but also because of the way in which ibn Mas’ud influenced the man - it shows that each heart is as a lock, with a certain type of key. Use the wrong key, and the lock won’t open. If you try to force the key, as the first student had done, it may break off in the lock, sealing it forever.

Janna   

Originally posted by J B:

Hi Janna, what do you mean by weakens the heart?

Hi Mr Bravo,

Music weakens the heart by driving you from the path of Allah.

my heart gets stronger and pumbs more blood whenever i listen to a nice piece of Music.

It's the Iblis in you.

i say party on yusuf!! Funny thang is how one can find any damn thing any where when it suits their pov...! right on.

Amazing how we forget to leave the tafsiir to knowlegdable ones, the actual culima!! do u know that its major dhanbi to quote the koran if you are not a culima!!