Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

'An other cup' New Yusuf Islam CD

Khayr   

Salams,

What do you lot think of Yusuf Islam's decision to go back to his pre-islam roots by releasing a pop rock cd?

Do you support him in his undertaking?

SeeKer   

^^Bought the cd for my sisters but ended up making a copy for myself. Its a folky cd and I was plesantly suprised that he spoke of God in general terms. Removes the notion of one God for each religion instead of different interpretations of God. I don't think he moved very far from his old nasheed except maybe the guitar strums but then sami yusuf has piano, 786 or something like that does it with instruments too.

N.O.R.F   

1) What instruments are used in the new CD?

2) What instruments are haram?

3) What does he (YI) think is right/ok?

4) What do the ahadiths say regarding Music (including weddings, Eid etc)

Cara.   

Hehe, it would make it easier to remember all the rules about right and wrong.

Oh dear, is that a... yes it is! I'm enjoying myself! Haram!

But seriously, why is music (particularly music with instruments) considered haram by some? Is there actual textual support for that position?

N.O.R.F   

Sahih Bukhari

Volume 2, Book 15, Number 72:

Narrated Aisha:

Abu Bakr came to my house while two small Ansari girls were singing beside me the stories of the Ansar concerning the Day of Buath. And they were not singers. Abu Bakr said protestingly, "Musical instruments of Satan in the house of Allah's Apostle !" It happened on the 'Id day and Allah's Apostle said, "O Abu Bakr! There is an 'Id for every nation and this is our 'Id."

Volume 7, Book 69, Number 494v:

Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari: that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful. And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."

Volume 2, Book 15, Number 70:

Narrated Aisha: Allah's Apostle (p.b.u.h) came to my house while two girls were singing beside me the songs of Buath (a story about the war between the two tribes of the Ansar, the Khazraj and the Aus, before Islam). The Prophet (p.b.u.h) lay down and turned his face to the other side. Then Abu Bakr came and spoke to me harshly saying, "Musical instruments of Satan near the Prophet (p.b.u.h) ?" Allah's Apostle (p.b.u.h) turned his face towards him and said, "Leave them." When Abu Bakr became inattentive, I signalled to those girls to go out and they left. It was the day of 'Id, and the Black people were playing with shields and spears; so either I requested the Prophet (p.b.u.h) or he asked me whether I would like to see the display. I replied in the affirmative. Then the Prophet (p.b.u.h) made me stand behind him and my cheek was touching his cheek and he was saying, "Carry on! O Bani Arfida," till I got tired. The Prophet (p.b.u.h) asked me, "Are you satisfied (Is that sufficient for you)?" I replied in the affirmative and he told me to leave.

From what I have heard, Music/singing is acceptable during Eid and weddings only. There are conditions attached however. Therefore, any other time it is not permissible apart from the acceptable instruments. Wind and string instruments are mamnuuc drums and percussion are acceptable. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

JANADE   

It is forbidden and is not permissible to play musical instruments or listen to songs and tunes. The majoritity of scholars say that it is haraam, including the four imams of fiqh: Abu Haneefah, Maalik, Al-Shaafa'i and Ahmad (may Allah have mercy on them all).

Evidence of prohibition in the Quran and Sunnah:

Allah says in Surah Luqmaan " And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead men from the path of Allah..." (Quran 31:6)

Al-Hasan Al-Basri (May Allah have mercy on him) said: this aayah was revealed concerning singing and musical instruments (lit. woodwind instruments). (Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/451).

Allah says in the Quran: [Allah said to Iblees] " And befool them gradually those whom you can among them with your voice (i.e songs, music and any other call for Allah's disobedience).." (Surah Al-Israa 17:64)

The scholars therefore say that everyone who speaks in any way that is not obedient to Allah, everyone who blows into a flute or other woodwind instrument, or who plays any haraam kind of drum, this is the voice of the Shaytaan.

Yusuf Islam was at the GPU event yesterday where he performed his new song playing a guitar and he explained that he now follows another school of thought (which i think he said originates from Baghdad) that states that music is not haraam, he went on to say that no one should judge him but Allah which is the truth.

Originally posted by Khayr:

Salams,

What do you lot think of Yusuf Islam's decision to go back to his pre-islam roots by releasing a pop rock cd?

Do you support him in his undertaking?

I love peace train.

Janna   

Originally posted by J B:

Why is music haram?

Music is the voice of Shaytaan. Music is haram because it weakens ones heart. It is haram also because it involves musical instruments which is prohibited in Islam. No more Yusuf Islam in our house because the younger ones only want to listen and sing along to Yusuf Islam's naseed rather then reading the Quran.