Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

The 'Sister You Should Wear Hijab' Syndrome

Khayr   

I think too many somali and muslim men in general emphasize the hijab issue on the sisters and drill it on their foreheads. However, men don't see it as a duty of there's to look like muslims and follow the various sunnahs i.e. wear a beard, wear visible islamic attire such as a muslim cap, thawbs etc.

It makes me sooo mad when I see a brother harassing a sister about the hijab when you can't differentiate the brother from a non muslim.

I saw this sister the other day, she was a anglo-saxon (white) muslim convert and she was with her husband/muslim friend and the brother didn't look like a muslim at all, yet she did. What kind of example is he setting for the new convert?

When my father talks to my sister, he rants at her for not wearing the hijab. Yet, I could swear if I saw my father across the street, I would mistake him for a nonmuslim africana. ;)

'Whoever imitates a people is from them'.

I'm a muslim, somali male and this distrubs me.

However, it doesn't mean that Not Wearing Hijab is something that can be justified, neither is it for a man to shave their beard and look like a non-muslim aka Kafir, Galoo! What do the sisters think about this?

'Someday, my two cents will go up in value and be worth three cents'

Excellent Khayr...thanks for bringin this up, the brothers should definitely show visible sign of muslimnimo...a nice lil beard, a cimaamad around the shoulders and a muslim hat should do it..how attractive! :D ....Lets just hope the "gaalo" dont mistaken it for a pro-Osama thang :D:D

Rahima   

FINALLY!!!

Jazaakum Allahu Khayran for pointing that out, i can't stand the double standard that goes on. :mad:

It's about time our brothers started appearing as Muslims (grow the beard- i do realise that this seems a tad difficult for somali guys ;) , but even that little is better than nothing and wearing sunnah clothing). smile.gif

Iffah   

Good point Khayr.

I totally agree with the sisters here. It's about time someone brought this up.

The brothers should work on their flaws and dress more Islamically first, instead of attacking the sisters for not wearing proper Islamic attire.

LaJecel   

Walaal Khayr, allah qayrku sii runtaad ka hadashay.

Dadkeena waa strange creatures, laakiinse aad ayaan ugu faraxsanahay in dhalinyaradii ay u jeedo the injustice.

Allow na wada cafi.

Miriam1   

Salam

I agree with you compeletly on the harssing part. Its wrong and muslim men should reconsider their behaviour. I and some friends have experinced it first-hand its not a preety sight.

But you should see that men having the beard and not shaving their heads or what else you have mentioned is SUNNAH.

Where as the hijab is a must islamic dresscode, its favoured on us to follow the sunnah of the prophet (P.B.U.H) , but its not a "must".

I could be wrong on this , please correct if Iam.

peace

Khayr   

Salams,

As far as growing beards for the muslim man, all of the major madhabs/schools of fiqh say that it is Wajib to grow one. You can go to your local muslim bookstore and inquire. I am not an alim but as a muslim, if inshallah, u know something then you should not be afraid of to share it with your fellow muslims (With some wisdom ofcourse, there is the right time for everything and wisdom is knowing what to do at the right time, inshallah).

There are many hadiths that point out to the fact that muslims should not follow the ways of the nonmuslims and differentiate themselves.

To reject the sunnah of the rasul (salah allahu caliyahi wa salam) whilest telling people to follow the shariah and the quran, is hypocritcal.

I know that some of the ahl ul-daleel (show me your proof folk!) might be disagree with me.

'...were you rasul (salah allahu caliyahi wa salam)severe or harsh-hearted, they would have broken away from about you.' 3:159

Baashi   

Kheyr,

Hijab is a dress code. It is a 'wajib'.

Men have a dress code too...well u know.

Khamiis, mucawis, cimaamad, etc. r not islamic dress code that is wajib but norms that is adopted by most islamic world...Sunnah or hadyu nabi is about 'akhlaaqiyaad'...and as long as u follow the directives u r fine.

Women with diric and man with shorts are both in need of wacdi in a nice, gentle way. None of us is perfect as perfection is one of the atributes of Allah...and if bro/sis approached us and try to tell us little wacdi...we should be thankful to the fact that, among the nomads, r pple who care. Ur point, the way some of our culima preach need improvement, is well taken.

Macalin   

Awwb!

While what you said is entirely true, you using the wrong ANALOGY!

I mean,wearing pants is not Unislamic. the islamic rule on CAWRO is that men cover above knees and above BUUFKA..ya know, how yu do it from there is sunah and common sense, i.e wearing qamiis and what not

On the other hand, wearing the HIJAB is a MANDATORY dress code, no circumventing this rule PERIOD!!!

Now following your analogy here my bro, u saying that a Banking father who doesnt have any GARR,wears suits to work and has a tie cannot tell his DAUGHTER or wife to wear her xijaab?

NOW THASS A LIL RIDICULOOUS!..well i do however understand where you coming from,but you DEFINETLY used the wrong analogy..YA HEARD ma bro!

Khayr   

Salams,

My examples are very common and occur

every day!

The reactions that I have gotten so far from the males, have been predictable.

Let me ask this question the men who replied back,

after the Sept.11th incident when muslims where being targeted and being harassed in the North American and in Europrean streets and subways, did u think to yourself this-The muslim men are safe because they can easily assimilate into the culture but the muslim sisters are not and therefore a very visible target. Reason being their Hijab is very visibile. During those days, did any one of you muslim men who disagree with me

decide to share the pain of the sisters and look visibily muslim ('He who imitates a people, is from them' and this is a hadith read bukhari or muslim!). This is a rhetorical question because I know the answer to it already.

Most muslim men in the west are oppressive towards women. Double Standard big time!

Oh its WAJIB for them, but everything is Sunnah for us men, therefore, we don't really have to follow. Translation-We are really a bunch of *******'s that have weak Iman. Therefore, we forget and forgive our shortcomings and concentrate on the muslim women!

WILDCAT   

Khayr...I don't believe you used the wrong anology at all...it was perfect...anologies are used simply as a way of getting your point across easier...and that's what yours did...and very well too.

Forget the anology if it disturbs you and address the point directly...which is Somali males make very little attempt to appear muslim...that's the bottom line right?

Fascinating point!...(just went and rated ya' a top nomad ;) )

I hear you on this one brother Khayr...I've come across people who make it a point to lecture me in a very superior all knowing tone about the horrors of not wearing full hijab...while they themselves are wearing the latest form fitting Levi's...and displaying their little lunchboxes for all to see...all the while feeling it perfectly natural to ask about my state of dress...ah the sheer absurdity of it all!

Salaamz,

Yeah for men too :rolleyes: It is not about male and female thing just fulfill your obligations na'mean and don't look at other's faults improve yourself.

The other thing ! YES sisters have to wear HIJAB ! We are not scared to speak the Truth even if it hurts na'mean. All those sisters uncovered their hair are best adviced to cover since this is God's commandent and not ours. I ask a simple question ? Is it obligatory to grow beard for a brother or for a sister to wear hijaab? I think you shall find it is paramount for sisters to wear hijaab more than for a brother to grow beard since this is recommended sunnah whereas the previous is waajib. Stop using male issues as an excuse for not wearing hijaab. A woman has her own obligations just do them na'mean never bring yourself to a dire level of comparing yourselves to men.

I see some sisters who wear hijaab and some who do not, I also see some brothers who have beards and some who don't but then at the end of the day I will not be asked of them ! I am responsible for me. Nevertheless, remember everything good or bad we do we shall see it plainly and recommend one another to patience and the truth.

Peace and Ramadhan Kariim !

Mujahid over and out !

Salam alikeum Khayr

It is a valid point that you have raised, and i think that Mujahid has said exactly what ppl need to be doing.

mashallah Muja keep educating these nomads.