Sign in to follow this  
Kulmiye

Women and their status in Somaliland.

Mirage   

Ibstaam dear hold on to your breath it seems you are running low on fuel. Jamilah has ended the discussion a long time ago on a nice note might I add. Save your stigma perhaps for another time. It obvious you are arguing for the sake of arguing. :D:D Jamilah is cruel to wound you in such a way. But I guess this sophisticated young lady has predatory female claws even I wouldnt want dug into my face. Just look at what her claws has done to you left massive scars.

Saalixa   

^ trying to fuel up more hate between the two by taking the side that favours your liking?

Well step back to your alien space...you have only made 3 posts and creating stigma yourself already. By writing in third person perspective doesnt really make you innocentally uninvolved. Dont you think you are contradicting your statement lol

Just say it out loud and clear you hear to make a fight with Ibtisam yourself

NAMELESS CHICK

What you said was a bunch of Blasphemous talk and it shows your ignorance, You hate people that you think are "big headed" according to your own findings. This post was made by someone who wanted to make stigma and Deleterourize "ignorant heads full of hate" to make the usuall comments about S/land.

Like YOU! So why are you attaking those who havnet even began this ... dont just jump before you learn to walk. Read before you write.

Saalixa   

U people made me read all that(for the sake of moderating)!! Naga daaya, please.

whats stopping you from moderating properly.

This topic obviously has no substance and the replies are disgustingly worthless so why not delete??? Why is it that these types of topics opposing certain group (and you know who) stick around longer? And a topic i knew and iam sure you know didnt last a week :cool:

Originally posted by Rayaana:

U people made me read all that(for the sake of moderating)!! Naga daaya, please.

whats stopping you from moderating properly.

Moderating is not about deleting alone.

This topic obviously has no substance and the replies are disgustingly worthless so why not delete???

Who MADE u respond to it? When u said yrself the contents of the post were subjective? U couldn't resist could u? You and the others made this post what it is- emotions, emotions, emotions.

I was hoping the women would have a different reaction to the SLand vs everybody else debate but I was wrong to hope. This post does not belong in the bin. It belongs right here where everybody can see just how cringe-making the whole matter is.

Why is it that these types of topics opposing certain group (and you know who) stick around longer? And a topic i knew and iam sure you know didnt last a week :cool:

Opposing whom, sis? SLanders? WTF is it with the down-trodden mentality horta? SLand is supposed to be doing well for itself, it doesn't need all the defending, hand-wringing, foot-stomping sh*t that surrounds it. I'm not going to be its cheerleader when I know I do jack-sh*t for its economy, its politics and its present improving state. I have no say in it, just as a lot of u so-called Slanders don't. It's what I call faduul. If u live in SLand by all means, get those pompoms out, give me an S, give me a...

...cause u might have something to celebrate. If u don't u have no right getting het up about it. SLand belongs to those who live there just as the rest of Somalis belongs to those live there and contribute to it. The rest of us just want to bask in the glory of what we are not responsible for. It's pathetic.

U r barking up the wrong tree, sis if u think I'm bothered by the SLand vs Somalia fiasco let alone take sides on it. A Somali is a Somali and this post highlights that clearly.

Lost-One   

Ok that topic didn’t seem to go right…did it? I think it was derailed right from the beginning and then transformed into a tool for the thrashing of one another based on qabil. Really I expected better from you!

So let put the gloves back on and address the topic at hand like civilised humans, this isn’t the battle field and stop reliving the past…move on already.

Anyways I think the original topic was an interesting one that was misinterpreted, it wasn’t an attack at Somalilanders but someone who was desperately trying to highlight the problem in general. Kulmiye maybe have been drawing these conclusions based on personal experiences and primary sources. If that was the case then I’ll have to agree with her, because upon my visit to Somaliland I saw just what Kulmiye described and I wouldn’t be as bold to say the whole of the horn of Africa is that way but stick to what I saw.

“…his wives are forced to take up an economic activity to sustain their families. Most men in Somaliland have forsaken their families and gotten hooked on khat.â€

“…women's responsibilities in Somaliland society have drastically increased recently, the change has not been translated to an improvement in their status in society due to lack of education.â€

Bacisally Kulmiye has pointed out some of the same problems I highlighted in my topic about the discourse in average Somali families. It’s even more obvious back home that there has been a sad disintegration of the normal gender roles. Kulmiye is merely suggesting that in fact it’s the abuse of polygamy and the lack of education which has resulted in what she describes as an “ugly†situation.

In her defence I think she’s right education is a problem, after reading the article northerner posted on the general section I started thinking about what the difference was between those entrepreneurial women in the UAE and the women in Somaliland? Well I think you’ll find it takes a little know how doesn’t it?

Polygamy on the other hand I’m sure has been discussed countless times on a forum like this, and considering Somali men aren’t that respectful of the Islamic conditions in which polygamy should be practiced, then polygamy in my opinion should not be practiced at all. Before I get attacked these conditions are of course substance of the family, food, water, clothing and shelter.

Oh and lets not forget the old men who fly over from abroad to Somaliland and marry innocent young girls, money isn’t the “be all and the end allâ€.

I think love and time are important conditions too… after all… the prophet (saw) divided up his week between his wives! Not very 6 months when he’s put enough money together to fly over and Islamically a man away from his wife for up to six months at a time gives the right for the wife to ask for a divorce. And with all the absence what sort of a father could this man possibly be?

A friend of mine describes Somali children as “orphans with fathers†now how realistic is that?

Maybe some of you may argue that these young seemingly innocent girls are completely innocent. I think they are honestly trying to survive the best way they know how, maybe they need to be educated and realise that these men aren’t the only way out. Either way these older men are taking advantage of their vulnerability for their own selfish gains.

In fact I dare you all to take a trip back home and see what you’re all defending, in Somaliland women are practically running in the economy. They shopkeepers, they’re the ones setting up stalls selling everything from vegetables to clothing while the men literally line the cafés and qaad places you’ll find a few working in the money exchange industry, selling shoes (for some odd reason) and working as police.