Sign in to follow this  
Kulmiye

Women and their status in Somaliland.

-Lily-   

^^^I agree with you. The Somalis are one people, regardless of what region or country they hail from.

Baashi   

I don't like this whole Slanders vs The Others/ Non-Slanders/Original Somalis etc. It's a sophisticated form of qabilism since it sets several tribes from one region of Somalia against another set from another region.

Qallanjo, Allow ha ku celin. Fariid fowqal fariid.

Women in Somaliland are treated well with respect -- I don’t think is necessary to blame a whole region for their treatment of women, or to call the region a womanizing region. I think it would be safe to assume that abuse occurs everywhere in Somalia, and also in developed nations as well.

Its not only in Somaliland, its everywhere!

Hayat   

oh no...........what a dilemma, it most certainly needs addressing, where are the somali-land individuals who consistently brag about the civilised nature of their region. they can be perfect advocates for some pictures, yet can not set this right. This neglect most certainly exemplifies the fact that "somali-land" women do not have such high status.

ScarFace   

^^^ibs i see vibe's comment touched......VIBE ARE YOU KIDDING ARE YA..... :D NOW whats this about somaliland women.....aint they somali.....JUST say somali.....dude

However, Somaliland's men are so poor that they can barely afford to support one wife. When a man marries several women, his wives are forced to take up an economic activity to sustain their families. Most men in Somaliland have forsaken their families and gotten hooked on khat.

^^^^Kulmiye ARE YOU RICH ???? :confused: :confused:

NaaiMa   

None of those problems are specific to Somaliland; its prevalent through out all of Soamlia.

As if someone from Hargeisa is really any different from someone in Kismayo :rolleyes: ...I mean really, they all drink shaaah in the morning and eat baaris in the evening with bananas no less!

Hayat   

ibs,are you having troubles learning the difference between, sarcaism and seriousness..........

*re-reads her post to find any implications of a joke:unsuccessful:*

preharps you are getting to cosy with scarface who happens to have excess khat.darls even if you are not with him, you still run a risk of passive-khating. which is potentially damaging and can make one see things they are not seeing. ;)

Saalixa   

Somaliland is seriously ugly place to be,

And so what is your statement or conclusion. You have no logical thesis or cause of writing a subject. What is your problem with the place or the men giving women no rights?

You dont even have any idea of the status quo and it shows in your writing. Tell me if you know any other place who you think gives women their rights with legitimate right! Tell me NOW!

If it is ugly for you then certainly not for many so your statement is just a subjective one at the end of the day :D as long as you know that iam HAPPY

Khalaf what happened to the religious, respectful wadaad who preaches ppl and now participating in politics and taking sides huh. Interesting. ;)

Jamilah   

^^The funky sheikh is not taking sides he is a patriotic Somali through and through, just like me :D I hope that is not a crime.

somalia.flag.gif :

Ibtisam, what authority do you have to say that unity in Somalia is something that is never going to happen. As you alluded to in your posting you are not very knowledgeable in these matters. If you can make such offensive comments I think Khalaf has every right to smile at what ever comment he wants to.

Peace and posperity :D

nemo   

Originally posted by ViBe:

oh no...........what a dilemma, it most certainly needs addressing, where are the somali-land individuals who consistently brag about the civilised nature of their region. they can be perfect advocates for some pictures, yet can not set this right. This neglect most certainly exemplifies the fact that "somali-land" women do not have such high status.

LOOOOOOL. Guess they know it's true and not going to debate about it. :D Well after this reply they are. ;)

Ibtisam   

^^^seems like you missed the Joke or "sarcasm" too, and "NO" your comment does not fill me with the urge to debate about this issue :D

ViBe:

MY mistake if I got it wrong or jumped on the bandwagon.

preharps you are getting to cosy with scarface who happens to have excess khat.darls even if you are not with him, you still run a risk of passive-khating. which is potentially damaging and can make one see things they are not seeing.

I don't see the need for this little dig, but whatever rocks your boat. Although I don't see how you can accuse me of getting “cosy†with someone who denies my very existence. :confused:

Scarface ..

As usual you’re making random comments, so what if I was touched ... I just wanted to make sure.

Jamilah

Ibtisam, what authority do you have to say that unity in Somalia is something that is never going to happen.

The fact that Somali’s cannot even get on in a forum is evident in itself. The deep rooted problems and underlining issues that grips the Somali community to the extent that even in Secondary schools here in the West, they have tribal fights and issues. Not to mention that inter-marriages are still a problem.

Also what do you class as having "authority" a warlord, President, academic or a researcher?

As you alluded to in your posting you are not very knowledgeable in these matters.

How does one measure whether I am knowledgeable in these areas or not, maybe I should take a test. "EVEN" I know just simply implies that i thought he knew better and was a reference to a discussion me and him had.

If you can make such offensive comments I think Khalaf has every right to smile at what ever comment he wants to.

Offensive? How did you judge any of my posts are offensive? Khalaf quoted " Somaliland is truly an ugly place" and smiled. So I simply asked him for a clarification, which he provided. I don't think he needs you help as this was not an issue. But since you took on your self to be his defender maybe you should use something a bit more convincing that "I think".

Peace and posperity