Holac

Congrats to Safferz who recently got married

Safferz   
11 hours ago, Holac said:

Welcome back Saf. 

Give us the details Saf. Where was the wedding? If I take a guess, it is either Hargeisa, Addis or Jigjiga.

And how is life? Are you still in Addis doing your Ph.D.research?

It was at a place called Hiddo Dhawr in Hargeisa, which is known for its hall built like a traditional aqal Soomaali and the furniture is gambadh etc, and they play kaban on weekends. I've always loved going there for a night out and I find Western-style weddings in Hargeisa really boring. Most brides want nothing to do with Somali culture and wear a white wedding dress and an Indian sari as a second outfit, and the wedding is typically held in banquet halls that look exactly like ones you'd find in Canada or the US.

So I decided I wanted to have a dhaqan wedding just like it would be in miyi, in every detail... down to having a wedding dress made out of subeeciyad (and a xariir dirac later), having the wedding in a hall that looked like an aqal Soomaali, and a traditional galbis to enter. We had buraanbur, a Somali dance troupe that did jaandheer and dhaanto, singers performing qaraami songs with kaban, a cake that looked like subeeciyad, and during dinner we had someone play "askari" and do hal-xidhaale, which was so much fun. But I also love my Somali pop music so at the end we had Maxamed BK and Cabdi Hani perform and turn the place into a hala waasho party lol, how could I have a wedding in Hargeisa and not have my favourite fanaaniin perform!

Life is good walaalo. I completed my research in Ethiopia and I'm currently in Hargeisa writing my dissertation. I should be back in North America in about 6 months, and inshaAllah I'll be graduating with my PhD in spring 2019! How have you (and everyone else) been?

8 hours ago, Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar said:

Hambalyo iyo boggaadin. I for a second thought you would wear a Xabashi hiddo iyo dhaqan guntiino for arooska, since you were fond of them. Just kidding.

Haha! I appreciate Xabashi culture but I am Somali dee, lol.

6 hours ago, Mooge said:

mashalah safferz mar hadaba nooshahay. is ilaali oromo wadanki gubaysee. 

Mahadsanid walaal thankfully Itoobiya ma joogo. I was there for the protests and state of emergency late 2015-2016 which was difficult, but this communal violence is much worse.

• Like 3

^^ Beautiful. Congrats again. You did well opting for that beautiful traditional wedding in Hargeisa. Planning a traditional Somali wedding takes much more time and effort than throwing run-of-the-mill Western wedding. 

• Like 2

Holac   
18 hours ago, Safferz said:

It was at a place called Hiddo Dhawr in Hargeisa, which is known for its hall built like a traditional aqal Soomaali and the furniture is gambadh etc, and they play kaban on weekends. I've always loved going there for a night out and I find Western-style weddings in Hargeisa really boring. Most brides want nothing to do with Somali culture and wear a white wedding dress and an Indian sari as a second outfit, and the wedding is typically held in banquet halls that look exactly like ones you'd find in Canada or the US.

So I decided I wanted to have a dhaqan wedding just like it would be in miyi, in every detail... down to having a wedding dress made out of subeeciyad (and a xariir dirac later), having the wedding in a hall that looked like an aqal Soomaali, and a traditional galbis to enter. We had buraanbur, a Somali dance troupe that did jaandheer and dhaanto, singers performing qaraami songs with kaban, a cake that looked like subeeciyad, and during dinner we had someone play "askari" and do hal-xidhaale, which was so much fun. But I also love my Somali pop music so at the end we had Maxamed BK and Cabdi Hani perform and turn the place into a hala waasho party lol, how could I have a wedding in Hargeisa and not have my favourite fanaaniin perform!

Life is good walaalo. I completed my research in Ethiopia and I'm currently in Hargeisa writing my dissertation. I should be back in North America in about 6 months, and inshaAllah I'll be graduating with my PhD in spring 2019! How have you (and everyone else) been?

Haha! I appreciate Xabashi culture but I am Somali dee, lol.

Mahadsanid walaal thankfully Itoobiya ma joogo. I was there for the protests and state of emergency late 2015-2016 which was difficult, but this communal violence is much worse.

Maansha Allah Safz. Truly heartwarming to see you happy and enjoying married life. Good choice in wedding style and music by the way. Other than that, Life's Good Saf.

Enjoy the short time in beautiful Hargeisa because when you come back, it'll be back to usual busy life. 

• Like 1

Barwaaqo   
On 12/23/2017 at 10:56 PM, Safferz said:

culture

Hambalyo Safiya,

Reerkii lagu nasto ee lagu nagaado iyo wadajire  nabad gala Allahayow idinka yeel Amiin. Ubad khayr qaba iyo caano.

• Like 2