galbeedi

Chairman Cirro was a controlled opposition.

Holac   

Very good analysis Galbeedi. I believe that despite the few difficulties here and there, Somaliland is the Somali people's closest thing to a true democracy. You have to understand that Somaliland is a poor country by most of the world's standards and it still managed to pull off an orderly, generally fair election amid the turmoil in the region.

On the other hand, Ciro is a god-fearing man with mild manners, and that character comes handy in many situations. It is very possible he would have been the least corrupt President Somaliland ever had. Mr. Biixi doesn't have a good record in fighting corruption and I don't know if anything will change in Somaliland in the next 5 years. Biixi could surprise us all and build exemplary legacy, but I think he will always be seen as the poster boy of Kulmiye and not a "change" leader. 

3 hours ago, galbeedi said:

Despite all the the election talk, the Somaliland election is much fairer than most in the region including the Kenyan one.

Meeshaasaa ku dhiiqatay. I like you Galbeedi, but once in a while you unleash howlers like that, which make me doubt your analysis. 

galbeedi   

Ak,

Give Somaliland some slack ninyahow.

On the other hand for sure they lack  confidence. In the Somali parliament they have 28 members. If you add the upper chamber they reach 33 members. If we  and others join them, definitely they could easily muster fifty or more. That is a good place to start and win the Somali presidency. 

Hase yeeshee Kalsoonidaa in ay Soomaali oo dhan gacanta ku dhigaan ma leh.

I wish they would have half of my self confidence of taking over Somalia.

On chairman Cirro in the last part of the campaign he acted as God fearing man. If you see his visit t Daami district of Hargeisa and his promise to nominate his first cabinet from that community.

What I lament is this KUlmiye Government never had a real opposition for seven years. Faysal Waraabe literally joined their agenda , and Cirro was passive. They bought everyone else. Despite all the weaknesses and skyrocketing inflation and poverty ,  they never faced protests organized by the opposition. If there were real opposition, they would have folded early and would have abandoned their candidate. ON the other hand if every thing is based on Qabiil, then  it does not make a difference.

I think the due recognition has not been given to Mudane Cirro. He was up against 3 formidable opponents.

Of which included a seating President AMM Siilaanyo and his team of ministers, a determined candidate MBC and a formidable orator Faisal Ali Waraabe. Combined with the power of a seating government and powerful business community, I think Waddani has done a very good job in their first shot at the President's seat. 

• Like 1

I honestly believe Cirro did well, considering what he was up against, and plus how the people are not yet there?  More tribal, despite his vision, majority voted clan lines, or grouped!

21 minutes ago, maakhiri1 said:

I honestly believe Cirro did well, considering what he was up against, and plus how the people are not yet there?  More tribal, despite his vision, majority voted clan lines, or grouped!

It was a strategy of Kulmiye's to get votes back from Waddani. That strategy may have won MBC the seat, but it has ended the career of many former Ministers who are now the laughingstock at the goobaha buulshadda ee Somaliland.  

On 13/12/2017 at 12:42 AM, galbeedi said:

Give Somaliland some slack ninyahow.

On the other hand for sure they lack  confidence. In the Somali parliament they have 28 members. If you add the upper chamber they reach 33 members. If we  and others join them, definitely they could easily muster fifty or more. That is a good place to start and win the Somali presidency. 

Hase yeeshee Kalsoonidaa in ay Soomaali oo dhan gacanta ku dhigaan ma leh.

Galbeedi,

I do not believe this is a case of lack of confidence. It is in fact a case of incompatible people.  

Mooge   

niyoow cirro's main problem was he didn't have lots of money to spread around. this is hard politics niyoow and in our country money is the eyes and ears.  his only option was to promise lot of people positions to win clans, but when you are competing against candidate with deep pockets (mostly from goverment but also HA business elite family lined behind Biixi), your promise for positions goes out of the window because the supporters can also get positions at the other party if they bargain.

it is simple somali political calculus niyoow. cirro had no money. Biixi had lots and more. 

Saalax   

Mooge the real reason is the Awdal community were divided within the themselves the likes

of Ahmed Mumiin settled for minister of farming after losing the VP candidate position to

Mohamed Ali even though he would have got a much better position from WADANI if it

had won. Same goes for the Ahmed Dhagax and South Hargeisa community (who were

split 50-50).