anoo kale

Garissa school kids on holiday unaware of looming FGM cut

As schoolchildren start the Christmas holidays, many parents in Garissa are plotting ways to have them undergo FGM.

This is despite knowing well the law prohibits Female Genital Mutilation. However, the parents organise to have the girls undergo the cut in secrecy.

https://www.hiiraan.com/news4/2017/Nov/145451/garissa_school_kids_on_holiday_unaware_of_looming_fgm_cut.aspx

• Statistically, the Somali community has the highest rates of FGM in the world. About 95 per cent of girls between the ages of four and 11 undergo FGM, according to Unicef.

• Zahara Hashi, a nurse at Simaho, said at least three cases of retained menstruation, formation of cyst and delayed delivery are reported at the facility every week. These conditions lead to fistula and may cause permanent disability.

• Some of the women have since been divorced for sexually underperforming.

How come no headway is being made among Somali people, what makes this practice so persistent and difficult to eradicate in this community? A friend of mine's wife took her daughter to Africa just this year to undergo this ritual. I was shocked because they were relatively educated. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Libaax-Sankataabte said:

It takes generations to change cultural practices.  But many Somalis feel the whole anti-FGM campaign has become more of NGO project used by some to achieve fame and financial goals. 

Typical!

They are more worried about image and who is making money off NGOs rather than the lives of the kids destroyed in the process.

Nobody keeps a taboo alive as well as maryooley.

8 minutes ago, Holac said:

I am against any kind of mutilation including designer ones. 

You can't tell an adult what to do with their body, they don't need consent from you or any one else and it not harmful in any case just an expression of their individuality.

However forcing young children without their consent to undergo painful and dangerous FGM operations that cause sexual dysfunction and problems during birth is completely different matter, it is immoral and sick, the civilized world and the UN banned this ugly practice for a reason.

Look, some one is trying to use Russian dezinformatsiya tactics on SOL. 

A Department of Health spokesperson said: 'While there are challenges in this area and adult women may have genital piercings, in some communities girls are forced to have them. The World Health Organisation has quite rightly defined this as a form of FGM.

There you go, stop trying to muddy waters waryaa. They were referring to forced instances of genital piercing not adults doing it on their own. Why are you trying so hard to defend FGM ?

Holac   

Anook, you didn't get it. Read it again!

But under a directive which follows the World Health Organisation's (WHO) definition of FGM, the term also applies to any women who has consented to having her clitoris or labia pierced for fashion or sexual reasons, meaning medical professionals will be obliged to record such adornments as such.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/03/18/vaginal-piercings-classed-fgm-new-nhs-guidelines_n_6892376.html

And yes, UK women mounted complaints similar to yours. 

Saxib, I am not defending anything. I don't have any daughters and I will not talk about my sisters or mother. All I am trying to point out is that these long-held cultural issues are much more nuanced than your black and white paintbrush. 

18 minutes ago, Holac said:

Saxib, I am not defending anything. I don't have any daughters and I will not talk about my sisters or mother. All I am trying to point out is that these long-held cultural issues are much more nuanced than your black and white paintbrush. 

There is nothing nuanced about this terrible practice of FGM, its as black and white as you can get, its a health risk and an infringement on the rights of the child.

I have read the article and your whataboutery nonsense is hereby dismissed unceremoniously.

Holac   

:):):)

anookale, why did you ignore my question about boy circumcision? I would like to hear your opinion.