Sign in to follow this  
Suldaanka

LIVE: Somaliland Election Update

YoniZ   

The long 2+ years (delivery like) election process is now over. No election is perfect in this corner of the world. I am glad to hear Cirro concede and accept the outcome of the election.

In la tanaasulo wax ka qiima badan ma jiraan, xitaa hadii uu xaq leeyahay, dadka in loo turo waa bisayl iyo waayo aragnimo.

There are many pressing issues that need to be addressed now, without losing anymore time in party campaigns.

In the economic front, unemployment is rampant, economic development outside Hargeisa is somehow nonexistent, and the high inflation is pushing people towards extreme poverty. Addressing these must be priority number one.

In the political front, heal the deep mistrust that became lately visible to everyone. Hold out an olive branch to the opposition by releasing anyone detained after the election, and to involve them in the political process is the best way forward. Devolution of power and local governance is an other front that need urgent work. 

Make peace within the communities and don’t wast your limited resources in security issues that can be solved diplomatically. Stop squandering the meagre budget at the presidency by giving cash to useless Gadhcas. Instead, give that money direct to the elected local governments in the near future.

Ugu danbeyn, mansibka madaxweyne ee hadda loo doortay Muuse wuu kaduwanyahay, midka hogaamiye ciidan ama mid beeleed. Waa nabadoon midka ugu sareeya ee dadka isku wada dhamaan.

Muuse asagoo wax dili kara, inuu duco qaato ayaa markan  looga fadhiyaa.

• Like 2

galbeedi   

I think we have been defeated. It is time to move on.

Muuse Biixi and the professors had won. 

Since Samatar joined Kulmiye  INa Biixi was acting differently. He might not even celebrate too much. I think it was Tallaabo who a years or so said it that the presence of Samatar might bring the "Jabhad"

Biixi has a huge opportunity to make his cabinet. Almost all the old style politicians from UDUB, to Kulmiye went to Waddani. If Cirro had won,  he would had  a big mess ,and difficult time to appease all the " Macaan Jecel" who joined the last minute. There were  over three dozen Hargeisa politicians. Muuse Biixi has free hand to choose his cabinet.

Some Kulmiye guys from Awdal think that " Ina Biixi sida reer Muduga rag badan buu iska soo reebay cidna faraqa ma haysato" 

My only worry is Samatar and Cali Galayr will  have  a big microphone and will  destroy Farmaajo and the Southern Somali politicians  through the media and there won't be anyone to defend them.

• Like 2

galbeedi   

THere will be time for recriminations , yet the only thing we all agree is C/raxman Cirro was a weak candidate.

HE has to resign immediately and appoint a care taker leadership until a leader is chosen.

22 minutes ago, galbeedi said:

THere will be time for recriminations , yet the only thing we all agree is C/raxman Cirro was a weak candidate.

HE has to resign immediately and appoint a care taker leadership until a leader is chosen.

I think Cirro is light years ahead of today's politicians. He is the sort of man who was able to bring together the HY politicians and get them inline behind. You can compare this momentous task to the Laaska clan mounting a unified political position for the first time. It is a herculean achievement in itself.

Other things that we will remember is that Cirro upended the Somaliland political scene by turning it into a shrewd high stakes, behind the curtains deals. Remember Ina Seed who how he got ditched just hours before the new Waddani VP was announced. 

Obviously, it would have been a termendous achievement if Waddani was able to win, as they would have made history. It took Kulmiye two attempts before they won the Presidents. 

Overall, I think there is a good foundation for Waddani to build on. 2022 elections will be the one to watch. 

• Like 1

First  Congrats BIIHI,

as for Ciiro, I think in uu sharafta ka raaco bay ahayd, he had two options , Congrats BIIXI for his win, or go to COURT.

Samatar has a big ego, and Biihi himself, egoistic, will not entertain him,  and Galayr  has no value. Failed in KHaatumo/SSC

• Like 1

galbeedi   

Galyar might not have a value in Khaatumo, but he has a burning desire to stick to Puntland and Mogadishu politicians. He might even join the cabinet, or replace Saleebaan Gaal as the head of Guurti.

I think it is a good marriage between the former unionists and Biixi. I do not think that the so called Jeegaan will last very long. 

The cabinet will be small unlike the 70 or so who were given false titles and just good salaries.

• Like 1

galbeedi   

Maakhiri,

You are right. You either fight to the end or concede defeat early.

He was presiding  by commission, and that is what weak leaders do. Marba koox ayuu dhagaysanayey.

• Like 1

Saalax   

galbeedi Cirro is not wholly to blame. Look at the Awdal community voting 50-50 and many other communities. They are not ready yet for change and are satisfied with more Kulmiye looting and high inflation rate.

• Like 2

Mooge   

Saalax, what is the way forward for the family niyoow?  Galbeedi may call Cirro weak, but i think his calm personality was appealing to many voters. he never took shit from anyone if he was pushed also. remember his famous punch against the Baashi guy from LA. lol

one bright spot in biixi win is we have Saalax as the unloyal totally rebellious opposition in the next 5 years to keep the corrupt stooges honest niyoow. lol

• Haha - That was funny. You made me laugh! 1

galbeedi   

Saalax,

Awdal was a fertile ground for the opposition, but Cirro had done nothing to earn their vote.  Few weeks before the election I wrote i my in-box an article by the headline, " if Waddani loses Awdal , he might lose the election", yet I decided to discard it for not sounding pessimistic or putting doubts about the leader.

He got the 50%plus votes from awdal due to the good will  the people had for the Cirro community and their desire for change, but in terms of what Waddani will do for Awdal, he said nothing. He would not touch the Lughaya port, the Head tax in Lawyacado, and many other issues. When Samatar publicly said that a Kulmiye government will build the Djibouti-Borama road , it attracted a lot of people. 

When he was the chairman of the parliament, he appointed parliamentary committees , and he did not appoint one single Awdalite.  In fact Cirro never  ever commented one single issues concerning AWdal.

Cirro was helped and selected by Siilaanyo and his people to off set the strong leaders who would have defeated Biixi easily. Brother, we all knew he was weak and indecisive", laakiin mar haddii la soo hor mariyey waanu taageernay'

In order to became a leader he destroyed UCID, UDUB, Rayaale and Ahmed muumin , and finally it all catch up to him.

He got 50% in Balligubadle the stronghold of temporary chairman Jirde. Nimankii la gabayaagoodu ku yidhi ,

"Lix meeshaad ku joogtaan dagaal laabta ka ogaada" 

oo aan badanaa kala hadhin oo la is lahaa Waddani  ayey iskugu tageen Boqolkiiba 50% buu ka helay.

Also, unlike the presumption, not everyone voted according to their tribe except the clans of the two candidates.

• Thanks 1